Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,
Need help for following points.
I have purchased a USED camry with following defects.

1- its wind shield has a small star.
2- Dash board light indicator is always on while making ignition on.

I have to go for state inspection - IS this car will pass with these defects.

How to fix the dashboard light issue?

Your response will save my life. I do not know much about cars.

Thanks.

·
Midship Captain
1991 MR2 Turbo
1,643 Posts
If the Dashboard Light is a Check engine light you will need to find out why its on. If its a car built around or after 1996 then chances are you have ODBII which requires a scanner. Go to a local auto parts store (Autozone) and have them check the code for you. Depending on weather they are nice or not if you ask they may shut the code off for you if its nothing serious.

If its an ODB 1 (Pre-1996) then you will have to jump two pins to check for the code by watching the blinking CEL light. Just jump the two pins "E1" and "TE1" in the diagnosis port on the engine under the hood. and Watch the Light on the dash to see how many times it blinks and how fast it does.

In most states a crack of any kind in the windshield will fail you for saftey. Im not sure about NJ tho.

Good Luck with the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Camry 2001CE

Thanks,
Fortunately it is not "Check engine" light. It is an indictor of "Light ON". it marks as a "car ligh on".even Car light in not On.

Thanks,

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,992 Posts
What do you mean when you say that it's the "lights on" indicator? Do you mean the orange light on the lower left that shows that your tail lights are on??? If so- that means that one of your rear lights is either burned out, about to burn out, or that there's a problem in the wiring. It will not cause you to fail emissions.

This light?

(I found that image, which was originally posted by Altarium on 10/18/06

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Camry CE2001

Correcy buddy! it is the indictor, I am referring on.

But star on the windscreen is still a issue for inspection?

Thanks,

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,992 Posts
Having a star in the windshield shouldn't be an issue in most states in terms of emissions testing, but I'd give the testing station a call before you go.

Call your insurance company and see if they will cover the windshield repair for free. Many insurance companies will cover the repair to a small star in the windshild for no charge/no penalty (in terms of your insurance going up) if it is fixable.

I had two stars in my old 1998 camry on separate occassions, and my insurance covered it, because repairing a small star is cheaper for them than dealing with a claim to replace the whole windshield if the star develops into a large crack.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
225 Posts
the dashboard light refers to a bulb being out in the braking lights of the car

I had this light come on in my camry and I had to replace 3 different bulbs in the rear

for the windshield you could have a repair place use some epoxy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts