Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm wondering which sockets I could use for Camry 96 (break and rear turn lights). Mine are rusted so badly that I can't pull the remains of lamps out of the sockets. No stores seem to carry the sockets and I'll check the junk jard, but I wonder if it has to be Camry 96, or anything from 92 to 96 is fine (3rd generation)? May be even earlier Camries are fine--and, may be even American sockets could be used instead (Autozone/Kragen/Napa carry only American sockets)?
And once I get the sockets, is there a built-in connector or do I have to either solder or twist/buy connector for them? Trying to figure out if I should just go to a mechanic, since I don't have soldering equipment.

·
Registered
994 Posts
you should be fine with a junk yard find. and yes there is a connector to separate it from the rest of the harness so you wont have to cut and solder

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apparently, there's a very little chance to find 96 Camry with stuff still on it in my area... So I want to be sure I can go with 92, etc... may be even Gen2 socket? I understand these 2 sockets cost about $40 from dealership, way too much. American sockets in store cost really cheap, about $7 each, but I dunno if it's safe to use them with my car.

·
Camry Expert/MR2 JR Xpert
MR2 & 96 V6 Cam
1,201 Posts
I would just get the american sockets and match up the power and ground...should be relatively easy...Only thing is you would have to make sure they can twist into the holes like the stock ones do...always triple check...if not go with gen 3s from a junk yard...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got lucky today, they just brought in new Camry 94 to the junkyard and apparently it's the same sockets as 96... this car will be pulled apart in a matter of a couple of days--other Camries there were nothing but skeletons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts