Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I tried to do some body work on my '91 Camry and got into a mess...

Went to AutoZone for touch up paint. Checked their color match guide and bought a can of Duplicolor Med. Red Pearl. Cap looked a little lighter than my car, but I figured it wasn't perfectly accurate.

Repainted a ding in the middle of my trunk. Color doesn't match. Not even close. Way lighter, way more orange. I'm thinking I got the wrong color, so I check the color code on my door: 3J9. I track down a color code sheet: 3J9 = Med. Red Pearl.

At this point I'm confused. It's way too different to be fading or anything. Besides, the new paint is lighter than the original.

On a whim, I go to AutoZone's webpage and look up my paint again. According to them Med. Red Pearl = 3H4. I check the color code sheet again: 3H4 and 3J9 are BOTH Med. Red Pearl.

During this whole process I also went to Duplicolor's page and discovered that they don't carry paint for models over 10 years old (probably because no one in their right mind bothers to fix the paint on cars over 10 years old... except for all the Camry owners like me who are still getting 31 miles per gal).

So here's my theory: Sometime between 1991 and 1994 Toyota changed Med. Red Pearl and changed the color code for it but not the name. AutoZone didn't bother looking at color codes when they made their color matching guide, and assumed that the Med. Red Pearl from 1991 was the same as the stuff available from Duplicolor for 1994. Thus, if I buy a bottle of 3J9 from another manufacturer (who actually uses the color codes to match the paint), I should end up with what I need to fix the horrid looking red diamond on the trunk of my car.

Can anyone confirm this theory before I shell out $20+ for a bottle of paint?

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,195 Posts
Do this, open your driver side door and get the paitn codes from the white sticker on the side. Then go to a professional paint shop and give them that code number. They will go in the back and MAKE that color for you. It will match. But it might be a little bit darker since the rest of the paint on your car kinda faded.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WhiteR: I didn't know they sold touch up paint at dealerships... actually, I'm not sure I've ever actually been inside a Toyota dealership. Good thought.

CamryWhat?: I thought of that, but it seems too extreme to be oxidation. Its not even close to the color that's on interior areas of the car (away from sunlight/dirt), but with oxidation that might not matter.

Gridlyne: Great idea. If I can't track it down in a dealership, that'll be my next stop.

Thanks for the ideas. It's a crazy situation. I know AutoZone isn't exactly professional, but this is ridiculous.

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,195 Posts
No not at a dealership. There are paint stores that sell ONLY paint for all kinds of applications. They should have a section for cars. Do a google search for yoru area or look in the phone book.

·
Mad Scientist-In-Training
918 Posts
jck91camry said:

On a whim, I go to AutoZone's webpage and look up my paint again. According to them Med. Red Pearl = 3H4. I check the color code sheet again: 3H4 and 3J9 are BOTH Med. Red Pearl.

Paint code 3H4 is Red Pearl Clearcoat for 1988-1990 Gen2 Camry

Paint code 3J9 is Red Pearl Clearcoat for 1991-1992 Gen2/Gen3 Camry

You can get a kit for the right color at www.paintscratch.com ;)

Good luck Dude :thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.