Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
camry
29 Posts
WOW my boy has 93ceile with 5sfe it caught fire at the fire wall next to the fuel regulator guess it was leaking or something but we stoped the flam befor it fuck fucked up the harness to bad .

·
Know God. Work Hard.
4Runner
2,194 Posts
Zoni's cam has caught fire on several occasions. But because of exhaust related issues. lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1996 T100 2WD
19 Posts
Well, I guess no one knows the answer to this problem. My 1999 Camry 4cycl. just caught fire this weekend and it appears the fire started at the starter (maybe the starter itself) and now nothing electrical works.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
'91's and back had a problem in the doors. Think it was the electric door locks. Believe they changed the logic so power was normally off instead of on in the '92's. And mid-90's Corolla's had an unused connector under the driver's carpet which could short due to snow/slush from driver's shoes soaking carpet. Don't know of any other common problems.

·
Registered
99 Camry
131 Posts
crain said:
Well, I guess no one knows the answer to this problem. My 1999 Camry 4cycl. just caught fire this weekend and it appears the fire started at the starter (maybe the starter itself) and now nothing electrical works.
The fire probably burned some (or many) of your wires. Just hope and pray that the computer wasn't damaged :bowdown:

Another area to inspect is the fuse boxes in the engine (near the battery). If you find out what caused the blaze, let me know... since I have a 1999 Camry 4 cyl!

-Joel

·
Australian TN'er
272 Posts
lol the only fire i have seen is pod filter catching fire and a crappy amp melted itself and caught fire.

It is a common occurance unless something been modded wrongly or something was fixed up dodgy.

·
Registered
811 Posts
my corolla caught on fire when i was hit but it was quite small and my fault, i was smoking and the cigarette flew out of my mouth and hit the carpet and started smoldering and stuff.....................okay i just wanted to say something.......................but it did realy happen its just not as exciting

·
My other car is a Camry
Camry
2,318 Posts
Older cars tend to catch fires for many reasons... If the car was regularly inspected (checking hoses for leaks, wear, electrical components, etc..), it shouldn't be a problem. Most cars with poor design from the factory catches on fire even if the car is new -- ie: Ford Focus', etc... All the Camry's (from Gen1 up until now) never had issues with fire hazards, so the causes would most likely be damaged components/extreme wear and tear or neglect.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
2008 Camry LE
3,135 Posts
Kensuke said:
Honestly, this is why you need a fire extinguisher in your car. Preferably one that can tackle both chemical and electrical fires. It's not just for ricey looks.

Contrary to what you see in the movies, cars *rarely* blow up. Even if the fire reaches the gas tank, you'll just get a neat flame thrower effect. Ask any firefighter. Gasoline is not like C4.

So if the fire is not too hot as to be unbearable, you can still pop the hood and put it out before it gets too bad.

As for what started the fire...hell if I know. Those things don't just burst into flames for no good reason. The cars that are prone to fires are usually the ones that have some nasty defects. The Pontiac Fiero, for instance, had a poorly designed exhaust manifold placement and faulty rod bearings on the earlier models that could cause a fire in the engine bay.

It is possibly that some combustable materials got near something hot (like an exhaust manifold), but that would likely be more as the result of something not being maintained right or fixed wrong, rather than anything on Toyota's part. Toyota even warned GM about the issues with the Fiero, but GM ignored their pleas to do something about it.

Friggin' GM....I swear. Only Ford can manage to build a crappier car.

- John
I agree with you %100 Gm and fords are soo bad i never once heard on an egnission blowing up like the fords do the focus is there worst car

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Double Oil Filter O'Rings

ALL - Always check your filter - this CAN HAPPEN TO ANY OF US!

Common cause is the LAST Filter change: That is the oil can dude, doesn't notice that the filter he just removed left its old O'ring on the block and when the new one gets installed you have two. After a few cold starts where the pressure goes up, the o'ring next to the block is expelled and oil spurts out. Hence the the instant flash fire with lots of oil....

NOTE: that usually happens because they spin the filter on with no lube on the o'ring which causes it to stick to the block.

trypsix said:
You've heard of the Honda CRV (or something) where the oil squirts out from around the oil filter and on to the exhuast manifold. I don't know if they've even figured out why yet.
Look at your old filter BEFORE you CHUCK IT in the Trash....

/randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 1997 Camry caught fire

My 1997 Camry caught fire while driving it. I have no idea how it all started, I just left the store with my grandson in his car seat in the back and the car started feeling as though it was going to fall dead it started smoking other drivers started telling me it was on fire. I pulled over got us both to safty and the front part of the car went up in flames.

·
Registered
1999 Camry LE
319 Posts
My rear deck mount brake light shorted out and caught fire..but my car has been an electrical nightmare from the start...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts