Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Ive notice with my 94 Camry (4-cyl auto). That when I put my foot down from a standing start. The Rpm will raise normally to about 2,500rpm and then sit there for a second or two and then rapidly increase to where it should normally be at that throttle position....

Once, I put my foot flat to the floor and it hesitated at 2,500rpm and when it continued from there it almost redlined :lol:

would anyone know what could be wrong?

thanks. :)

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Same happens on my car. Seems like a standard hesitation. Then the actual torque of the engine kicks in. I don't really know how else to explain it. It doesn't ever seem like a real big problem.

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
When was the last time you had the fuel filter changed? That can cause a hesitation. Also could be something wrong with the trans.

·
I get angry when Im sober
1,858 Posts
perhaps cause it has to drop down a gear... (car accelerates faster in lower gear but uses more gas)

·
1,858 Posts
you can really feel when the tranny is switching gears when you're heavy on the gas... its really smooth when you're not accerating hard though.

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
^
Best reasoning right there. Your tranny drops down a gear to give you accel you need. When you drive normal (not heavy on the gas), your autos will shift around 3,000RPM. It gices you the best milage and puts the least strain on your engine. But when you floor it, it needs to drop gear to accel. If you were in fourth and floored ( in say a manual) it would take forever to get up to speed.

Good explination Stealth :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
SmokingTiresV6 said:
Same happens on my car. Seems like a standard hesitation. Then the actual torque of the engine kicks in. I don't really know how else to explain it. It doesn't ever seem like a real big problem.
This is your best answer. I think all the 4 cyls come up on the cam right in this rpm. Mine does anyway

jj

·
1,858 Posts
wow you people have no understand whatsoever of how an automatic transmission works do you?

in a way its almost like a manual... if you want to accelerate faster, drop down and gear and gas it up

even the v6s will do the same thing if you floor it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe its you who doesn't understand auto trans Pal !
If you floor it from a standing start it sure a hell wont back shift at 2500 rpm, if it does you got serious trans problems.

JJ:bash:

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dont think it is anything wrong with the fuel filter or anything like that, but I am thinking on getting the throttle body cleaned if thats any help :)

I took a closer look at when it hesitates at 2500rpm and it seems like it is changing from first to second at that point......
but if i floor it, should the car realise that and shift at a higher rpm?

·
']['R][) Camry
311 Posts
calvic said:
Maybe its you who doesn't understand auto trans Pal !
If you floor it from a standing start it sure a hell wont back shift at 2500 rpm, if it does you got serious trans problems.

JJ:bash:
Exactly.. no one read it or what?

from a standing start.. it is in 1st and never leaves 1st till 6,250RPM (if floored...)

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
It's due to lack of low end torque and a number of other factors I can't explain. It's something that happens on all Camrys. My V6 does it too. It's normal, so don't worry about it man. Theres nothing wrong with your car.

But it doesn't just happen at 2,500 RPM... For example, if you are at highway speed around 70mph (I know, a little over) and you put it down to pass someone, your car may be at 3,500 or 4,000RPM. Your car will still hesitate, but at that point, it is droping gears. It has to. You could never get that kind of accel while in 4th gear. The hesitation is to allow your transmission time to clucth and shift smoothly.

terrynham: Your car should shift between 2,500RPM and 3,000RPM during standard accel. And yes, when you floor it, your transmission will get the best performance out of what you are giving it and it will shift higher. My V6 will shift at around 6,000RPM when put to the floor. Your I4 may be a little different. But yes, the shift points will change.

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
the shift from 1st to 2nd, as you say in normal accel is around 2500rpm, but if i floor it, should the 1st to 2nd shift point be higher? because thats the problem I have.....it doesnt seem to want to shift from 1st to 2nd for anything over 2500rpm and thus hesitates, and then shifts into 2nd where the rpm raises dramatically.

obviously like ']['R][) camry, said i dont expect it to shift around 6,000rpm :lol: , but shouldnt it shift at least about 3,000-3,500rpm?

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
I don't think it is shifting up to second. You wouldn't get as good of accel in 2nd. At least not what you need to come off the line. I think that's just your engines reaction.

Try this: start from a stand still in an area that you won't have to worry about cops. Accel at a little higher pace than normal, but not putting it to the floor. You will see each up-shift. Each time your car up-shifts, you will see your RPM drop to around 2,750 (give or take). Do this till your up around 70mph or so (maybe even more just to make sure). Watch and make sure that your car shifts gears three times ( 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd,3rd-4th).
If you car shifts all three times, your fine. You engine just hesitates like most stock engines. If you only shift two times, than your car might be shifting wrong. Do this a few times to make sure.

Make sure it shifts smoothly too. (Smooth may include a jerk, but that comes with quick accel). Just make sure your car isn't dropping the shift. If it is, you will feel a large power loss when your shifting, and it will feel like your car fell out of gear. If that happens, let of the gas to let the clutch engage.

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just tried what you told me just then. It was raining a bit so i didnt go too fast :p:

it shifted to 2nd at about 40km/h, then 3rd at about 60 and then finally to 4th at about 80km/h.
it shifted fairly smoothly actually. So assume the trans is ok then, and this hesitation is normal then :)

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
terrynham said:
the shift from 1st to 2nd, as you say in normal accel is around 2500rpm, but if i floor it, should the 1st to 2nd shift point be higher? because thats the problem I have.....it doesnt seem to want to shift from 1st to 2nd for anything over 2500rpm and thus hesitates, and then shifts into 2nd where the rpm raises dramatically.

obviously like ']['R][) camry, said i dont expect it to shift around 6,000rpm :lol: , but shouldnt it shift at least about 3,000-3,500rpm?

From what you said right here it sounds like your trans is slipping. If that is the case the only thing you can do besides rebuild/replace the trans is to add lucas trans treatment. If the rpms go up and the car isn't moving as fast as it was before this started then you can pretty much be sure it's the trans.

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
it doesnt happen all the time, only if i totally floor it :lol:
i dont know if the car did it before, because i have only had it for about a year and this has always happened in that period of time.

but if the trans is slipping, doesnt that mean that the revs go up but the car doesnt move? because the thing with my case is that the revs stay at 2,500rpm and dont move for a few seconds but i still get the power i would usually get at 2,500rpm though.

I have suspected a sticky throttle....but im not too sure about that, would cleaning it help?

2005 Tacoma X-Runner
9,188 Posts
Yeah if it's slipping you'll be accelerating and then the rpms would go up and it doesn't accelerate any more until it engages again. Hopefully this isn't the prob. Also on your car do you have a button for ect transmission, to shift from sport to economy. Maybe you have it in the economy mode and thats the way it's supposed to work? It's hard to tell without driving it.

·
Gen5.5 Sportivo V6
04 Camry Sportivo V6
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have recently been driving with the ECT button on all the time :lol:,
but i havent floored it with the ECT button on before, maybe ill try that :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts