Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I understand, the 2022 LE trim for Camry Hybrid model comes with a lithium-ion battery and all trims above that comes with nickel-metal hydride, and the nickel has been proven to last 200k+ miles and performs better in cold weather.

Is the cold weather performance significantly better for the nickel-metal hydride batteries compared to the lithium-ion counterpart?

Is the lithium-ion battery expected to last as long as the nickel battery? Toyota's nickel batteries have shown they will last a long time while the lithium ones have no proven track record.

Also a bit off topic, but how is the paint on the 2022 Camry hybrids? Are they prone to rust? I live in the midwest where winters can reach -10F and salt is used very heavily. Was considering the Rav4 hybrid but the corrosion issue is not something I want to deal with in the futre, not to mention the excessive nvh.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I reached 102'000 miles on my 2021 Camry Hybrid LE with no issues at all and it met and exceeded the advertised 52 MPG.(bought new)

Yes you're right, only the LE hybrid trim comes with Lithium ion traction battery (52 MPG), the other Camry hybrid trims comes with the old style traction battery (46 MPG)

with LE you save on the car price tag and gas. I added "Cold weather Package" for about $1200. that gave me BSM. RCTA, heated seats, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors. I still paid less than the XLE.

Dealers or window sticker won't tell what battery is installed, you can tell from the window sticker MPG comparing to other trims, and when you open the hood and look at the sticker up near the hood latch striker.

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are all Lithium. Go to this page https://www.toyota.com/camry/features/mpg/2559/2557/2560, click Mechanical/Performance, scroll down to traction battery section.
Wrong info. Only the LE trim is lithium. It's not mentioned anywhere in the process of ( build your Toyota) website, nor on the window sticker, nor the manual. Either you remove the back seat bottom to see it, or to check the label stuck to the bottom part of the hood, the label diagram for the batteries.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2022 U.S version. Window sticker does not say what kind of battery on it, nor does it say how much is domestic parts/source of components. Li-ion is a big selling point and I would have been furious, to say the least, if I found out it was nickel.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Again, source?
At least, till 2021 only the LE got the lithium ion. My shopping experience is the proof because Toyota kept it vague, so I had to open the hoods of every Camry trim and check the sticker. May be Toyota changed their specs for 2022?? I don't know but I remember Car Care Nut confirmed that LE issue in one of his videos at 12:30

·
Registered
4 Posts
I reached 102'000 miles on my 2021 Camry Hybrid LE with no issues at all and it met and exceeded the advertised 52 MPG.(bought new) Yes you're right, only the LE hybrid trim comes with Lithium ion traction battery (52 MPG), the other Camry hybrid trims comes with the old style traction battery (46 MPG) with LE you save on the car price tag and gas. I added "Cold weather Package" for about $1200. that gave me BSM. RCTA, heated seats, heated steering wheel, heated mirrors. I still paid less than the XLE. Dealers or window sticker won't tell what battery is installed, you can tell from the window sticker MPG comparing to other trims, and when you open the hood and look at the sticker up near the hood latch striker.
Sounds like the way to go for me. I also heard that the LE trim has smoother ride thanks to the 16” wheel tires, less sporty but more cushioned and comfortable on top of the better MPG. The other trims may be a better choice for other driving styles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like the way to go for me. I also heard that the LE trim has smoother ride thanks to the 16” wheel tires, less sporty but more cushioned and comfortable on top of the better MPG. The other trims may be a better choice for other driving styles.
Toyota equips the Le hybrid with 16" steel wheels only in the United States, Canadians gets the regular 17" alloy wheels that comes on a regular Camry. I like the 16" more because it's not a performance tire, it's just a touring tire, which means more miles to go and less dollars to pay when replacement is due. If you don't believe me check TireRack.Com.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I searched for a Camry LE Hybrid specifically for the extra gas mileage and for the 16" wheels. I wanted a quieter & smoother ride. Plus I have a extra set of 16" wheels with almost new Michelin Defenders from my old vehicle.

·
Registered
91 Posts
When doing comparison between tires on tire rack website, Michelin defender is the heaviest tire. It's 23 lb per tire comparing to the OEM Firestone which is only 19 lb.

I don't have any scientific evidence to support that heavier tire will affect your MPG negatively.

I really liked the Firestone, but it has no traction in snow and ice at all.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Toyota equips the Le hybrid with 16" steel wheels only in the United States, Canadians gets the regular 17" alloy wheels that comes on a regular Camry. I like the 16" more because it's not a performance tire, it's just a touring tire, which means more miles to go and less dollars to pay when replacement is due. If you don't believe me check TireRack.Com.
Oh! Interesting. I live in Canada but I am relocating to USA later this summer and I expect to buy my car in USA. Actually still undecided between the Camry Hybrid and the Corolla Hybrid, but most likely it’ll be the Camry hybrid LE. 😌

·
Registered
78 Posts
When doing comparison between tires on tire rack website, Michelin defender is the heaviest tire. It's 23 lb per tire comparing to the OEM Firestone which is only 19 lb.

I don't have any scientific evidence to support that heavier tire will affect your MPG negatively.

I really liked the Firestone, but it has no traction in snow and ice at all.
On my other car the defenders caused the mpg to drop 3mpg. So I expect a mpg drop. Plus the Michelin Defenders (215/60-R16) are wider than the Firestones (215/60-R16). The extra weight and the extra width will likely cause a mpg loss, but I can't let good tires go to waste. My plan is to wear down the Defenders during the spring/summer/fall and use the Firestones only in winter. This will keep a decent tread on the Firestones for winter use for a few years. Once the Defenders are worn out I will put some tires on the rims for winter use. Right now I thinking putting Michelin Crossclimate2's on the rims for winter. I have done this for years, One set of tires/rims for winter and another set to use the rest of the year. I have another vehicle that I put snow tires (Blazzaks) that I use in heavy snow days.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On my other car the defenders caused the mpg to drop 3mpg. So I expect a mpg drop. Plus the Michelin Defenders (215/60-R16) are wider than the Firestones (215/60-R16). The extra weight and the extra width will likely cause a mpg loss, but I can't let good tires go to waste. My plan is to wear down the Defenders during the spring/summer/fall and use the Firestones only in winter. This will keep a decent tread on the Firestones for winter use for a few years. Once the Defenders are worn out I will put some tires on the rims for winter use. Right now I thinking putting Michelin Crossclimate2's on the rims for winter. I have done this for years, One set of tires/rims for winter and another set to use the rest of the year. I have another vehicle that I put snow tires (Blazzaks) that I use in heavy snow days.
Note on the side: Camry LE factory wheel size is 205/65R16 , If you switch to aspect ratio of 60 ( the middle number) that will affect your comfort and speedometer signal as the wheel diameter is going to be smaller, which defeats the purpose. And be ready to deal with the TPMS headache.

on the

1 - 20 of 25 Posts