Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think a Camry hybrid (47-51 mpg) is a better choice for a long-distance commute, compared to non-hybrids? I expect to drive about 20k miles yearly mostly highway (80%). Not clearly sure which one to buy. I know hybrids would be environment friendly and price competitive in a stop-and-go driving and during traffic hours but what about driving many highway miles? It says that 2019/20 Camry xle or xse returns 39 mpg which would not be bad, either for most highway drivers. What do you think?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do you think a Camry hybrid (47-51 mpg) is a better choice for a long-distance commute, compared to non-hybrids? I expect to drive about 20k miles yearly mostly highway (80%). Not clearly sure which one to buy. I know hybrids would be environment friendly and price competitive in a stop-and-go driving and during traffic hours but what about driving many highway miles? It says that 2019/20 Camry xle or xse returns 39 mpg which would not be bad, either for most highway drivers. What do you think?
I have a non-Hybrid SE and I can get 40+ mpg highway driving as long as I stay close to the speed limit.

·
Registered
2014 Camry LE, 2020 Camry Hybrid LE
915 Posts
I would not buy a hybrid if you are going to log 20k+ miles a year. The $3000-4000 extra cost for a hybrid is not worth it and plus your car will lose its value very quickly due to high mileage. Save the money and get a LE model.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I was also looking at the hybrid but I did the math and it was not worth the extra cost but as they age, the complexity of the Hybrid can be more problematic as it ages. I had a Prius before and the brake accumulator was failing which was very expensive. The plus side to a hybrid is the brake pads will last a very long long time due to the regenerative braking. I never did brakes on my Prius. I will also add that I enjoy my 19 Camry LE much more than my 10 Prius.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would not buy a hybrid if you are going to log 20k+ miles a year. The $3000-4000 extra cost for a hybrid is not worth it and plus your car will lose its value very quickly due to high mileage. Save the money and get a LE model.
I do not worry about the value as I tend to keep my cars for a very long time (about 10-12 years). I do not get a new one until it hits 250k miles mark, of course depending on the quality of the car. Per the LE model, I did not have a chance to test drive but anyone finds it comfortable equivalent to XLE or XSE for a long distance driving?

·
7,328 Posts
Few years ago I had Camry rental and, over 1400 miles, surpassed then hybrid average mpg in it. FWY run from Seattle to Tracy, CA and back.
For drives you describe, go with conventional one. At FWy speeds, there's negligent potential benefit from hybrid. Though, they do REAL well in FWy stop and go traffic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was also looking at the hybrid but I did the math and it was not worth the extra cost but as they age, the complexity of the Hybrid can be more problematic as it ages. I had a Prius before and the brake accumulator was failing which was very expensive. The plus side to a hybrid is the brake pads will last a very long long time due to the regenerative braking. I never did brakes on my Prius. I will also add that I enjoy my 19 Camry LE much more than my 10 Prius.
Thanks. Do you feel comfortable driving highway with LE more than other trims or similar or no difference? I thought about a prius, which is smaller, but camry would serve my needs much better for long commutes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Few years ago I had Camry rental and, over 1400 miles, surpassed then hybrid average mpg in it. FWY run from Seattle to Tracy, CA and back.
For drives you describe, go with conventional one. At FWy speeds, there's negligent potential benefit from hybrid. Though, they do REAL well in FWy stop and go traffic.
Got it. Thanks. That is interesting. I guess if that is the case, then the only benefit of buying hybrids would be helping the environment. lol.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks. Do you feel comfortable driving highway with LE more than other trims or similar or no difference? I thought about a prius, which is smaller, but camry would serve my needs much better for long commutes.
Yes, I like the LE as the tires not so low profile so the ride is better and when it comes to tires later, they will less expensive. The LE comes with alloy wheels that look very nice. Also, the SE has that goofy SofTex which is some sort of plastic. My fabric seats look great and they breath.

·
7,328 Posts
Well, hybrids have their application and do well there. Say, whitesands who did some ludicrous mpg achievements in his TCH. But man lived in small Arizona or Nevada town and creeped down the road middle of the night. He bragged one time that cops quit pulling him over for dragging, he was sort of local mpg geek celebrity. So open back roads, little traffic, flat planes, hot dry weather, all factors favorable to very little ICE action. Otherwise, a diesel is likely still best reliable mpg route.

·
Registered
4 Posts
$4200 extra for hybrid is worth it if you keep your car 5 years+. Sure, if you buy the hybrid today and sell next year then it's not worth it. The longer you drive the hybrid will help your sale gas money.

·
Registered
18 Camry XLE, Hybrid
47 Posts
I have the hybrid XLE, and constantly get 44-45 around town, and that’s the majority of our driving. However, on trips it’s not that good. The west Texas speed limits are 80, and depending on the wind and terrai, I get between 37-41 mpg. If I was driving more hwy the V6 would be my first choice, with the highest trim level possible. Comfort is tops on my list when on road trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts