Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2020 Camry LE with 2.5L 4-cyl. This is the first Toyota I have owned.

Bought the car 3 months ago. It's not time for oil change yet. I put the car on the ramp to check the oil pan plug access (for Fumoto valve). And also verify that it has spin on oil filter and not cartridge, as I read many new Toyotas have cartridge filters. Good to see that oil filter access if quite easy, right by the bottom, and I don't need to reach for it behind the engine.

What surprised me is the size of the oil filter. It is so small and cute, like a toy. Though 2.5L is not a big engine, but it is not that small. Just curious if it is just Camry (and I imagine Corolla) using these small filters. Or all Toyotas are like this. Plus, hard to imagine something this small is good for 10k miles change interval.

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
Oil filters need to achieve a minimum flow rate, and a smaller engine needs a lower flow rate filter. Also, many OEM filters have relatively porous filtering media, which doesn't trap as many contaminants, so the filter element can be smaller in size. The higher the quality of the filtering media, the larger the surface area of the filter media that is required (either by making the whole filter bigger or by using more pleats).

In some cases with screw on filters, one can install a longer filter with the same diameter and screw-on flange dimensions. You do have to worry about whether a longer filter will be subject to more road hazards if it sticks too far down. There have been other threads on this forum which have discussed which other longer filters might be compatible.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What type ramp did you use? I just got my 2019 Camry LE a couple weeks ago, my old ramps won't work this low profile car, and I'm trying to figure out what will work.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What type ramp did you use? I just got my 2019 Camry LE a couple weeks ago, my old ramps won't work this low profile car, and I'm trying to figure out what will work.
I got RhinoGear 11912 RhinoRamps MAX from Amazon. It works just right. There is about 1/4" clearance. However, the ramp is made of plastic. Not sure how long this will last.

Old steel ramps did not work for Camry. Too steep. Don't get the regular metal one. It was similar to this. Solid Steel Auto Ramp Set

Never thought of an oil filter as being cute
Lol. Car is only 3 months old and 1000 miles. The under carriage and filter are still new and clean. So filter looks like cute toy. ;)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Compare these common Fram PN's for fitment....can be xreferenced to any brand

From small to larger
PH4967
PH4386
PH3614
PH3600

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just go with the Toyota filter. That's what the engine was engineered to work with. A bigger filter than what was spec'd will hold more oil but at the same time reduce the amount in the sump and going into the engine. The oil can't be in two places at the same time.

·
Read Only
3,920 Posts
Just go with the Toyota filter. That's what the engine was engineered to work with. A bigger filter than what was spec'd will hold more oil but at the same time reduce the amount in the sump and going into the engine. The oil can't be in two places at the same time.
One would need to add a little bit more oil if the oil filter is larger. One can gauge this correctly by looking at the oil dipstick level.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OE filter is allegedly junk... typical paper/cardboard/cellulose media with poor flow, filtration, holding capacity... makes me wonder how many so-called problems were possibly related to this cheap junk that could've been prevented. I've said it. And, embarrassed Toyota refuses to publish its gram holding capacity, single or multi-pass micron efficiency, flow loss during media load up... You get what you pay for. Funny when fools make fun of Fram's fiber paper cardboard end caps but are OK with fiber paper cardboard filtering media.

Which filter has a better holding capacity and micron rating efficiencies... Fram or OE? I can answer that and I know you don't want to hear the answer.

I've remotely mounted 2-quart and 4-quart filters and never had 'reduced' sump or reduced oil going into the engine. Its amazing that many don't understand how a dipstick works or have a clue concerning filtration.

Synthetic media is the best, regardless of the brand. Cellulose media is obsolete, like conventional oil. At least one automaker is moving towards 'synthetic' media. Like synth oil, probably take a decade or two for the rest to catch up.

Your dealer sells a synthetic filter at a steep markup. But, there are plenty of good aftermarket choices.

Just be glad its not a stoopith 'cartridge' nightmare with a plastic breakable 'fuse' cover.
All those 3/4-16 remote filter kits give you 'options'. Cartridge owners are at the mercy of Baxter Performance.

The assimilated will be obedient and buy Toyota filters from their dealers. Follow the PiedPiper!

I recommend the TRD, Amsoil, RoyalPurple, Ryco Syntec, Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Napa Platinum, Purolator Boss... filters. Baldwin/Donaldson also make several synth PN's for 'remote' filtration as they don't use their fancy media on their entire catalog.

I've worked for 2 major filter manufacturers and find that most owners don't have a clue.... and most youtube videos or filter 'cutter openers' are just pathetic with their recommendations. Form or function? Do you want it to look pretty or actually filter?

Unless free, non of my cars use OE filters. This means that I don't buy Toyota filters, and I didn't buy Korean or German filters for my non-Toyota fleet..... Those eurosnobs are even bigger fall in line fools with brand loyalty.

·
Registered
737 Posts
OE filter is allegedly junk... typical paper/cardboard/cellulose media with poor flow, filtration, holding capacity... makes me wonder how many so-called problems were possibly related to this cheap junk that could've been prevented. I've said it. And, embarrassed Toyota refuses to publish its gram holding capacity, single or multi-pass micron efficiency, flow loss during media load up... You get what you pay for. Funny when fools make fun of Fram's fiber paper cardboard end caps but are OK with fiber paper cardboard filtering media.

Which filter has a better holding capacity and micron rating efficiencies... Fram or OE? I can answer that and I know you don't want to hear the answer.

I've remotely mounted 2-quart and 4-quart filters and never had 'reduced' sump or reduced oil going into the engine. Its amazing that many don't understand how a dipstick works or have a clue concerning filtration.

Synthetic media is the best, regardless of the brand. Cellulose media is obsolete, like conventional oil. At least one automaker is moving towards 'synthetic' media. Like synth oil, probably take a decade or two for the rest to catch up.

Your dealer sells a synthetic filter at a steep markup. But, there are plenty of good aftermarket choices.

Just be glad its not a stoopith 'cartridge' nightmare with a plastic breakable 'fuse' cover.
All those 3/4-16 remote filter kits give you 'options'. Cartridge owners are at the mercy of Baxter Performance.

The assimilated will be obedient and buy Toyota filters from their dealers. Follow the PiedPiper!

I recommend the TRD, Amsoil, RoyalPurple, Ryco Syntec, Fram Ultra, Wix XP, Napa Platinum, Purolator Boss... filters. Baldwin/Donaldson also make several synth PN's for 'remote' filtration as they don't use their fancy media on their entire catalog.

I've worked for 2 major filter manufacturers and find that most owners don't have a clue.... and most youtube videos or filter 'cutter openers' are just pathetic with their recommendations. Form or function? Do you want it to look pretty or actually filter?

Unless free, non of my cars use OE filters. This means that I don't buy Toyota filters, and I didn't buy Korean or German filters for my non-Toyota fleet..... Those eurosnobs are even bigger fall in line fools with brand loyalty.
“Allegedly junk” yet you wrote six paragraphs complaining about it with zero evidence.

Exactly what problems would be solved with a different oil filter?

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Evidence can lead to a lawsuit. My own testing showed 50 micron capable... Basically filtered about 1/2 of what an fram orange can does....and so many slam fram and hype up the OE filter.... This corresponds will with testing done by others

And, you can gather your own data via particle count uoa for your own proof.

Still waiting to hear from Toyota and Denso concerning their efficiency and holding capacity... Silence is deafening.

Reactions: zzyzzx

·
Registered
737 Posts
Evidence can lead to a lawsuit. My own testing showed 50 micron capable... Basically filtered about 1/2 of what an fram orange can does....and so many slam fram and hype up the OE filter.... This corresponds will with testing done by others

And, you can gather your own data via particle count uoa for your own proof.

Still waiting to hear from Toyota and Denso concerning their efficiency and holding capacity... Silence is deafening.
So you, an anonymous internet poster, can’t provide facts because you might get sued? OK.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
My employer keeps our data secret.

You can contact denso toyota yourself and see what they give you for info. You csn contact fram too and I know they have no problem sharing their media data/capabilty.

There is data out there for you to research. I wont spoon feed you. Locate it yourself.

·
イリジウム
12,366 Posts
There’s very little data on Denso filtration rates. One chart Amsoil might still have show the about 50% efficiency mentioned. That’s why I don’t use Toyota filters.

then again maybe 50% is good enough?

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
772 Posts
Although, I like FRAM... Have you seen any oil filter brand that cause an engine failure? If it has been changed every 5k miles, I do not see any reason for the filter to fail to do it's job.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry SE 2.5
189 Posts
The filter is small, no question about it. Tiny is a better description. It's about the same size as the type used on most 4 cylinder motorcycles. Many of them have a 5 quart sump as well. But they don't weigh 3,400 lbs., and most don't utilize a 10,000 mile oil change interval. I don't either with my 2018 Camry SE 2.5.

I change my oil twice a year. I'm retired, and don't drive much. So one could argue I'm changing it too often. And they might be right. But it's easy and cheap to do, takes me just a few minutes, and it gives me peace of mind knowing my engine always has a nice, clean supply of fresh oil pumping through it. Along with a clean, new filter.

I'll let someone else push the oil change limits. Oil is one of the most important things in your engine. It won't live but a few minutes without it. And changing it more often than recommended will assure that tiny little oil filter doesn't get clogged. I'll save money somewhere else.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I wonder how many Toyota diehards have driven their Toyotas to 300k+ miles using only OEM spec parts(filters) and fluids? I incline to think: MANY! Those Japanese engineers have a culture of pride not to be confused with the "west" culture of pride. I`ll stand by them until PROVEN different. Call me a fool for that matter, I don`t care...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts