Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a gen3 camry (96) with the 3.4 V6. looking for advice on engine upgrades, don't really want to go with a turbo. Has 271,000 on original eng/trans. figured maybe a chip, some exhaust and an air intake. on the exhaust i'm looking for more of an old school note instead of the buzz of newer cars. Any advice would be appreciated

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Please SEARCH!! Imma be nice and not flame you to the ground. :)
There are many threads just like this.

If you don't want turbo or Forced induction.

You can get a CAI (Cold Air intake)
A chip will not work. Im sure your referring to those ebay ones you see. Those don't do anything. Search for the thread.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
1. If you have a V6, it's a 3.0, not 3.4 I don't know where you got that number from. The '05 V6's aren't even 3.4, they're 3.3.

2. Unless you go supercharged, you don't have many options other than a turbo. Decent power CAN come from these engines without forced induction, but it's not easy.

3. There are NO chips for Camry's. Universal chips are a hoax and won't do shit.

4. Exhaust... do a search. No one on here wants the Honda sound (except for one kid that wanted his to sound like a crotch-rocket :rolleyes: ) Basically, get a quality muffler and be sure to use a resonator, and you won't get the rice sound. If you want you're car to sound like a big V8, sell your Camry and get a 5.0

5. The search button is your friend.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Siver_Cartel said:

3. There are NO chips for Camry's. Universal chips are a hoax and won't do shit.
Actually thats where you are wrong. You can get a jet chip for i think Mike said 400 bucks and they will tune it to your needs.

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Did you yourself not just say in the #2 post that a chip won't work? And now you say this? You can always have something done custom, but for most people, it's not going to be worth the money. A Conforti chip for a 325i is only $250, while the custom Jet chip for a Camry is $500 and you could gain as little as 10hp... and when I said universal chips, I was referring to eBay chips, as custom is not universal.

·
The Greatest
3,830 Posts
Siver_Cartel said:
Did you yourself not just say in the #2 post that a chip won't work? And now you say this? You can always have something done custom, but for most people, it's not going to be worth the money. A Conforti chip for a 325i is only $250, while the custom Jet chip for a Camry is $500 and you could gain as little as 10hp... and when I said universal chips, I was referring to eBay chips, as custom is not universal.
Oh. Whoops. I guess we were both talking about the same thing. I was also thinking ebay. I guess when i read it, i took it as you saying there are none at all.

Sorry for the confusion. ;)

·
Current title:
253 Posts
rofl..u want power custom custom custom don't like the challenge don't have the money? buy a honda w/a bolt on kit

otherwise search buddy~!!!

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
There are no chips. You could use a Unichip, or SMT type chip, but they won't be able to do timing advance on a 1mz/3mz.

You wuold still be able to control the A/F ratio and posibly other things. That's not worth the effort though...

·
Auto-Cross Addict
3,837 Posts
Ya'll need to shut up and read:

http://jetchip.com/ (Click "Imports" and then Search "Toyota" and then "Camry")

It's not so much a chip as it is reprogramming. They send you directions on how to remove your ECU, you send it to them and they reprogram it for you. Price tag is $499.

Power gains range per vehicle. But they remap your fuel and can program in any modifications you have made.

Is it worth it if your low on cash? Probably not. But if you have some money to spare and would like the improved acceleration and minor power gains, go for it:thumbup:

·
Lives For The Curves
93 Camry
1,546 Posts
Like I said... $500 for unknown gains... and you'll be car-less for a week. You didn't prove anything right there :slap:

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
Well, you could always go junkyard diving and grab an eprom out of there. So you send yours in and keep driving.

I could think of a whole lot other things I would be doing with that $500, like service including tran cooler.

Or use it as part of a payment towards a Supercharger.

·
Banned
4,345 Posts
Jet has been proven not to change anything. So has that other reprogramming company. Those things are such a ripoff I wish I came up with the idea.

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
Toysrme said:
Jet has been proven not to change anything. So has that other reprogramming company. Those things are such a ripoff I wish I came up with the idea.
More details please.......

I was planning on a Jet computer upgrade in the future. What do you mean by proven? Anyone out there actually have a bad experience with JET Chips? I know about sending them your computer and having to wait to get it back. But I was under the assumption that they actually reprogrammed the Air/Fuel ratios at given RPM's to maximize HP & Torque gains.

Any more knowledge out there on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had the Venom 400 for my Camry but I sold it at got most of my money back. It doesn't really do good. I had it on my 94 I4 and all it did was improve throttle response and heat up the engine faster to operating temperature. I think I needed bigger fuel injectors because the engine ran hotter than usual. Venom sells the injectors but I never did try them out. It was really sensitive on the highway too. Sometimes it would kick in when I didn't want it to. So it isn't made for every day driving just racing.

·
Super Lurker
260 Posts
Toysrme said:
There are no chips. You could use a Unichip, or SMT type chip, but they won't be able to do timing advance on a 1mz/3mz.

You wuold still be able to control the A/F ratio and posibly other things. That's not worth the effort though...
I have never believed JET is a legit company for Toyota. I would love for them to explain to me how they reprogram the 4th gen (excluding 97) and up Camry ECU when 1998 - present toyota ECU's have an 18 digit frequency code that has never been released by Toyota.

-Scott

·
Big Wrench
397 Posts
I think I'm going to try the Jet ECU upgrade. It's only $500.00 and I planned on going down to Huntington Beach anyway. I contacted Jet and they said it was OK to drop the ECU off at their shop. They said it would be ready in 2-3 hours. If I could find some where close to Huntington Beach that could dyno my car before and after I'll do it. I plan on getting this done after the holiday season so stay tuned.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts