Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts
It's just weird how cars continue to require less maintenance. A "tune-up" used to mean adjustment to carb/throttle body, timing, spark plugs, wires, etc. But with the advancement of technology, most tune-ups are just a set of new plugs.

I still can't get over my head the new standards of oil and the longer oil change interval. I live by the 3000 mile rule sadly. Our two Nissan (07' and 11') recommend 4k oil change and I felt uncomfortable at first but went with it. Now, with our new 12' Camry, the dealership recommend 10K miles on full synthetic but 5K on a blend. I thought all 0W-20 was full synthetic but I guess they were talking about a 5W-20 blend. :confused: They even told me not to do the first oil change early because the motor is already broken in at the factory and it'll be a waste of money.

Not sure if Toyota's 2 year maintenance plan covers oil change every 5k or 10k. Either way, I'm changing it every 5K with full synthetic if they don't cover it. Overkill? Maybe, but I can sleep better. :lol:

Reactions: Bajando
They even told me not to do the first oil change early because the motor is already broken in at the factory and it'll be a waste of money.
as far as I know it is incorrect.
no toyota motors are broken in at the factory.
they assembled and started on stand just to verify they can run.
but no real run was ever completed.
they say it does nor need to be broken -in, but there is instructions in manual how not to rev engine and dont drive fast for firs 1K.

I've told that 1k oil change is not required, but changed filter anyway
and found some strange gello in the filter casing.

but I'm fine with 10K intervals, I was changing oil every 8-9K on all my cars last 5 years.

I've told that 1k oil change is not required, but changed filter anyway
and found some strange gello in the filter casing.
I might just change the filter at 1K also. Going to use an OEM filter so they won't question anything. Then the first oil change at 5K.

spoke to service adviser at deal ship where I'm planning to change my oil.
he said they use Toyota oil, same oil they sell in parts, in 1qt. bottles
he also said that I can request Mobil1 oil for no charge for me...

I'm perfectly fine with toyota oil. only thing than sounds fishy to me is that they use oil from bottles, not 80 or so gal jars...

BS or it can be truth?
its the truth. my dads dealer started with Toyota 1qt bottles. most dealers have a hose that runs from ceiling that pumps from a central location which would either need to changed out or have another hose added for the new oil spec. probably a lot cheaper to have the bottles until all models are rolled over into the synthetic oil.

What about the oil milage, some experiance. VW in our county recomments 18000 miles for oilchange. Toyota in our country recomments 10000 miles. This is what I done with my gen 5 camry. When I sold that 2.4L 2002 camry, the speedo had 160000 miles on it. I do the oil changes by my self at 10000 miles and always used 10 W 40 motoroil. Never had problems with the engine.
Now in my 2.5 Gen 6 camry I use 5 w 30 oil and change this at 10000 miles. The engine is running much shoother than, when I bought this car in America and was running with 0 w 20.
Did anyone ever did an oil anlyse at 10000 miles?
Than you can see, the oil can be used for further milages .

What about the oil milage, some experiance. VW in our county recomments 18000 miles for oilchange. Toyota in our country recomments 10000 miles. This is what I done with my gen 5 camry. When I sold that 2.4L 2002 camry, the speedo had 160000 miles on it. I do the oil changes by my self at 10000 miles and always used 10 W 40 motoroil. Never had problems with the engine.
Now in my 2.5 Gen 6 camry I use 5 w 30 oil and change this at 10000 miles. The engine is running much shoother than, when I bought this car in America and was running with 0 w 20.
Did anyone ever did an oil anlyse at 10000 miles?
Than you can see, the oil can be used for further milages .
vw and other german engines designed for thicker oil. late japanese motors got much tighter gaps between parts and require thinner oil.
you sure can use 5-30 oil on 2.5.
but as far as I know 0-20 is GF-4 certified and 5-30 is not.
besides, dual VVT-I needs certain thickness to operate properly and 5-30 is out of that range.

I've seen oil analyzes and long term test results of 0-20 toyota oil and 0-20 mobil 1. they both good up to 20K miles, but right around 12-13K level of additives drops to to the point were engine parts wear starts.

at around 70-80K if engine will start consume some oil I might switch to 0-30, but new engine should run more efficient on 0-20.

vw and other german engines designed for thicker oil. late japanese motors got much tighter gaps between parts and require thinner oil.
you sure can use 5-30 oil on 2.5.
but as far as I know 0-20 is GF-4 certified and 5-30 is not.
besides, dual VVT-I needs certain thickness to operate properly and 5-30 is out of that range.

I've seen oil analyzes and long term test results of 0-20 toyota oil and 0-20 mobil 1. they both good up to 20K miles, but right around 12-13K level of additives drops to to the point were engine parts wear starts.

at around 70-80K if engine will start consume some oil I might switch to 0-30, but new engine should run more efficient on 0-20.
I understand what your saying. The toyota dealer in my country gives other advice. My 2002 2.4 camry was an vvti to. The Dealers advice was 10 w 40 for that engine. even in wintertime.
At this moment they recomment 5 w30 for almost all types of engines.

It's just weird how cars continue to require less maintenance. A "tune-up" used to mean adjustment to carb/throttle body, timing, spark plugs, wires, etc. But with the advancement of technology, most tune-ups are just a set of new plugs.

I still can't get over my head the new standards of oil and the longer oil change interval. I live by the 3000 mile rule sadly. Our two Nissan (07' and 11') recommend 4k oil change and I felt uncomfortable at first but went with it. Now, with our new 12' Camry, the dealership recommend 10K miles on full synthetic but 5K on a blend. I thought all 0W-20 was full synthetic but I guess they were talking about a 5W-20 blend. :confuse: They even told me not to do the first oil change early because the motor is already broken in at the factory and it'll be a waste of money.

Not sure if Toyota's 2 year maintenance plan covers oil change every 5k or 10k. Either way, I'm changing it every 5K with full synthetic if they don't cover it. Overkill? Maybe, but I can sleep better. :lol:
It calls for 0w-20 and 10,000 miles all the time. They say IF 0w-20 is not available, that you can use 5w-20, but then after 5000 miles you must replace it with 0w-20 again.

Toyota will only pay for what's recommended for your vehicle-so they'll pay for 2 oil changes and that's it. I run 10k/1 year intervals on my 11 SE and the oil is still fairly clean when it comes out.

Reactions: Yuko
I
understand what your saying. The toyota dealer in my country gives other advice. My 2002 2.4 camry was an vvti to. The Dealers advice was 10 w 40 for that engine. even in wintertime.
At this moment they recomment 5 w30 for almost all types of engines.
2002 and 2010 engines are very different.
Personally I wouldn't put 10-40 in new engine no matter what dealer saying.
I know cases when even big dealers in Eastern Europe didn’t have 0-20 oil in stock and recommend whatever they got.
Plus, your engine built in US for US by US standards-could be big difference with euro Toyota engines and they might have specs for engines built for Europe only.

5-30 and 0-20 got pretty big difference in thickness which might be very significant for new engine. Plus oil specs are important too.
Is your 5-30 GF-4 certified?

^.
they released info about new euro camry.
specs calls for 0w-20 too.

Hi All...Just to be clear, in the "Pre-Delivery Inspection", both the Oil and Filter are changed?...What is the rationale behind this? Do they intentionally use a really cheap oil/filter combination at the Factory? Kinda goes against the notion of "Factory Fill", ie. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, etc.

thanks,
Gary

Hi All...Just to be clear, in the "Pre-Delivery Inspection", both the Oil and Filter are changed?...What is the rationale behind this? Do they intentionally use a really cheap oil/filter combination at the Factory? Kinda goes against the notion of "Factory Fill", ie. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, etc.

thanks,
Gary
when i saw that mentioned earlier in this thread i asked my family that works at a dealer in southern california and also called the two biggest toyota dealers in vegas and they all said they DO NOT change the oil when they pdi a car. i always knew they didn't, but with the change to synthetic i could have been wrong. is there a chance other dealers do, sure but it's probably slim to none and i would bet no dealers change the oil when they pdi.

We do and it's actually listed on the PDI sheet.
But hey, if other dealers want to cut corners then they can do so....

i don't think it would be excessive. the colder climates usually have extra things they will do because of rust. even recalls will only effect some regions for the same reason.

We purchased a 2012 LE and I have a question...they added a oil change sticker to the windshield that states to come in at 5,000 miles. Is this just for the service, to change just the filter and/or the oil? I'll give them a call tomorrow but was wondering since the change interval was mentioned to be at 10k miles. After the Toyotacare is over I will be doing it myself but want to make sure this dealer isn't putting anything but the recommended oil in there.

Also I was reading that in order to change the way the doors open (all with one press of the unlock button) you have to bring this in to have it programmed. Do they usually charge you for this? I know on the Hondas you can do this yourself so I would be a bit disappointed if the service shop actually charges you for it.

I have a lot of reading to do in the next few days so I apologize if this is in the owner's manual.

Do not trust dealers! That idiots were putting 5w30 in my 2.5 2010 for 2 years good thing I noticed the second time and made a noise. But they still put a sticker for next change in 5000 mi. Also instead of checking tire pressure they just did reset the sensors and I ended up with 22(not 34) in all 4. Check everything they do!

21 - 40 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.