Toyota Nation Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts
I've sent an email to my salesguy to see if he or someone else can comment on this. The only thing I can think of that would put my mind at ease is if they say they didn't change it and they recommend changing it at 5,000 for the first change. They even scheduled my first service visit for March which wouldn't be following the manufacture interval either. I asked for documentation for my records so we'll see what they say today.

Even then I would still not feel comfortable, why would they go against what the manufacture recommends? I think a call to Toyota will be in order today and I will be asking that I take it to another dealer to have the oil drained and filled. If I can't get Toyota to do this as a one-time goodwill, I'll change the oil myself.

This isn't how I wanted my experience with Toyota to start off with :(

Might just be a ploy by the dealer to get more money out of you by doing 5k synthetic intervals and 3k conventional intervals. They shouldn't be doing it, but I've seen it. My dealer does 5k synthetic blend, and 10k synthetic intervals.

Might just be a ploy by the dealer to get more money out of you by doing 5k synthetic intervals and 3k conventional intervals. They shouldn't be doing it, but I've seen it. My dealer does 5k synthetic blend, and 10k synthetic intervals.

Well we'll see what they say today. I will give them the chance to explain their actions before contacting Toyota directly. If this is something that should not be done then they need to be slapped on the hand by Toyota.

OK salesperson responded saying that it is just for rotating the tires and regular inspection, and that they changed the oil with 0W-20.

Now I am waiting to hear back if there is a charge with re-programming the unlock button to open all doors on the first press and a small ding on the chrome on the driver's side. I am hoping the can just pull it out instead of replacing the molding.

Now I am waiting to hear back if there is a charge with re-programming the unlock button to open all doors on the first press and a small ding on the chrome on the driver's side. I am hoping the can just pull it out instead of replacing the molding.
You can program the locks yourself. It's in the manual, I forget where. I programmed mine, but mine has the Premium HDD and it's done thru the nav unit.

First post here. Hello all! 12 year Toyota Master Tech based in Chicago, and owner of a 2012 Camry SE, 4cyl, NAV, Entune, Heated Leather... Anyway, just to clarify, there is NO oil change info on a PDI sheet. None.

Well, I will say it again-both dealerships I have worked for have it on theirs. But whatever, either way, people are always going to panic about longer oil change intervals.

My car was running a bit rough at 4500 and the maintenance required light came on at 5000. Just put in Mobil 1 0w20, runs better than ever now.

Mileage improved by about .5-1 mpg, though I can also attribute that to the engine breaking in.

*edit: 6.4 quarts for the V6! My 11 Pilot only needs 5.5 quarts.

Just look at your recommended maintenance schedule booklet. It tells you what they will do. At 5k miles, no oil change is performed. It's only performed every 10k. At 5k they just check the fluid levels, rotate tires, etc. It's all in your booklet.

Anyways, the service is free since you're getting the 2 year 25k mile free Toyota auto care.

Toyota Canada manual has two additional oil changes in their schedule: 5k, 15k miles. Then they do the next @ 20k miles, and then every 10k miles after that like the US. I wonder why :dunno: the difference with the two extra changes @ 5k and 10k miles.

Anyhow, I decided to change mine at 5k - boy was it dark.

... I've changed mine at 1200 miles, now at 7600 it still pretty clean, not even light brown...

... I've changed mine at 1200 miles, now at 7600 it still pretty clean, not even light brown...
Good to hear that. Did you change the air filter or anything else that might be keeping the oil clean? Also, when you changed it at 1200 do you recall it looking darker than you'd expect?

I had to use an 18" breaker bar to get the oil filter housing off - probably due to my crappy dual 65/67 filter wrench which kept sliding off. I bought a single size 65mm wrench which should work better next time - and hopefully it won't feel like a gorilla put the filter housing on.

One more ?? are you sticking with a Toyota OEM oil filter like I did or using something else?

Good to hear that. Did you change the air filter or anything else that might be keeping the oil clean? Also, when you changed it at 1200 do you recall it looking darker than you'd expect?

I had to use an 18" breaker bar to get the oil filter housing off - probably due to my crappy dual 65/67 filter wrench which kept sliding off. I bought a single size 65mm wrench which should work better next time - and hopefully it won't feel like a gorilla put the filter housing on.

One more ?? are you sticking with a Toyota OEM oil filter like I did or using something else?
Oil was clean. I found some greasy brown stuff on the bottom of the filter case, but no metal particles or dirt.
Air filter still original.
I’m planning to stick to OEM oil filters unless I’ll find better substitute.

two things of note here (may have been mentioned earlier as well)

If you switch away from the 0w20 to a heavier weight oil your gas mileage will suffer, not huge amount but it will go down. (hybrid models can/will throw codes and not start if its cold enough as they are very sensitive to resistance in the engine starting)

The other thing to remember is, toyota is telling you it is perfectly ok to change your oil every 10k or 10months (i think its 10 or 12 cant remember off hand right now). As long as you can provide proof (save your receipts) any oil related manufacturer failure will be covered by toyota. back in the late 90's early 2000's there was an engine sludging issue that was caused by some manufacturer defects, toyota released a campaign and as long as you can prove you changed the oil the entire engine rebuild was covered.

Toyota Canada manual has two additional oil changes in their schedule: 5k, 15k miles. Then they do the next @ 20k miles, and then every 10k miles after that like the US. I wonder why :dunno: the difference with the two extra changes @ 5k and 10k miles.

Maybe it's the climate? And turn the lights on next time if it's dark :rofl:

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.