Toyota Nation Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts
Hello everyone! Thanks for all the great information/insight regarding oil changes. I bought a 2012 Camry SE 4-cylinder earlier this year and so far it has almost 5000 miles on it. Based on what I have read so far and in the manual, 0W-20 every 10,000 miles with a filter change at 5,000 mile intervals seems to be the most efficient. Is there a reason why oil changes every 10,000 mile with a synthetic oil is normal (I used to always stick with the 5,000 mile interval rule). TIA!

I would go with Toyota's recommendation and considering 2 free oil changes will get
me 30,000 miles I,m sold. One thing to keep in mind, 10,000 miles is a long way, so
keep an eye on the dip stick and if need be top it off with the same oil (0W-20 Syn).

I am wondering what guys are using for oil brand. Are you finding the 1L Toyota oil from the dealership is as cheap as other quality brands. From other reading it seems Mobil makes Toyota's oil but I'm having a tough time finding 0W20 brands, but I'm in Canada. P.S I have a 2012 Camry

5k is just tire rotation, visual inspection, top off fluids.

10k is when they do the first oil change.

Did anyone ever receive a Toyota Care welcome booklet explaining what each service is expected from the dealer up to 25k?????

God, I can't wait for my Toyota Care to be done with! DIYs to each 5k mark. Not really "feeling" the whole 10k oil change stuff. If Toyota is not using rebadge Amsoil bottles: may heaven be with us! There's such huge difference between 3k and 8k mileage marks in how the motor runs in mine. So sluggish: rough idling. Hell my old 236k tC idle smoother at 200k mile mark than this motor. It's not even at 9k mark!

Canadian recommendations are more frequent

Someone posted this elsewhere ... so after seeing all the posts in this thread I tried it out:

If you go to Toyota Canada website, you will see they recommend 8000 Kilometer (5000 miles) oil changes .......... at least for the first two. The reason should be obvious ......... it is soooooooooo cold up there ..... the engines barely warm up in the winter. Also .... more frequent cabin filter changes ........

http://xws.xtime.com/xmmmenu/?varia...ge=8000&units=km&estimate=false&inframe=false

I am wondering what guys are using for oil brand. Are you finding the 1L Toyota oil from the dealership is as cheap as other quality brands. From other reading it seems Mobil makes Toyota's oil but I'm having a tough time finding 0W20 brands, but I'm in Canada. P.S I have a 2012 Camry
Well, I called Toyota, and their oil is about 3 bucks cheaper than Mobil 1
at your local auto parts store (7 compared to 10).
Regds. Jhnjohnp

5,000 oil change interval?

I just noticed this morning that my 2012 Camry SE l4 has a new oil change sticker from Friday's dealer oil change using 0-20w Toyota Synthetic, for exactly 5000 miles from now. Are they nuts?

I had already decided that I'm going to change at 15000, 25000 etc to offset when they change it. My dealer changes the oil at the first 5000 on the new vehicles just to do a good check on things. I'm just too uncomfortable to go a whole 10000 miles. Then after the Toyota maintenance plan is over my dealer will continue there own maintenance plan for another 2 years just as an added perk for buying from them.

I just noticed this morning that my 2012 Camry SE l4 has a new oil change sticker from Friday's dealer oil change using 0-20w Toyota Synthetic, for exactly 5000 miles from now. Are they nuts?
Called 3 Toyota dealers and basically got 3 different answers. You have to consult the Warranty & Maintenance Guide you received at purchase. Under normal driving conditions oil changes are at every 10,000 miles. However, under "SPECIAL OPERATING CONDITIONS", they are listed, oil changes are at every 5,000 miles along with additional maintenance items.

Bought my 2012 in December of 2011. Just turned 60k. I have been doing oil changes at 10k intervals, using Toyota OW-20 Synthetic Oil and their filter.

I just sent in an oil sample to Blackstone on this 60k service, because I plan to run this car atleast another 100k before I get another. Lab report came back with a stellar rating, even stating I could go 12k between changes if I wanted to, although I wont.

I will continue what I have been doing, as it appears to be working extremely well.

For what it's worth. Just had my last free oil change at Toyota, and, they shorted me a half quart. So much for the Pro's. 10,000 mile change intervals should be fine as long as it's 0w20 synthetic, and, you drive under normal driving conditions. Then again, if Toyota can't get the capacity right, what else are they getting wrong.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the car is driven. I live in Montana and my wife drives 1.6 miles to her office year around. Toyota is in the business of selling cars and Im my opinion its not in their best interest to have the cars last forever. Im personally going with the 6 month, 5000 mile oil changes because of the short duration drives and the cold winter weather. Your opinions may vary

I think a lot of it has to do with how the car is driven. I live in Montana and my wife drives 1.6 miles to her office year around. Toyota is in the business of selling cars and Im my opinion its not in their best interest to have the cars last forever. Im personally going with the 6 month, 5000 mile oil changes because of the short duration drives and the cold winter weather. Your opinions may vary
That is pretty much what Toyota recommends. Page 36 of the 2012 Camry Maintenance book shows 5,000 miles/6 months as the recommended oil change interval for short trips under 5 miles in temperatures under 32 degrees.

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms/T-MMS-12Camry/pdf/2012_Toyota_Camry_WMG.pdf

Yes, changing your oil every 5,000 or 2X a year for short trips in cold temperatures, is what the book recommends. You also might be interested in how The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) breaks down profits for dealerships.
30% New car sales.
26% Used vehicles.
44% Service and parts department.
Be wary of dealer recommended maint. procedures that are not described in your maint. guide. Cleaning and adjusting self adjusting rear brakes, for those of you with older rear drum brake cars, is a great one.

Yes, changing your oil every 5,000 or 2X a year for short trips in cold temperatures, is what the book recommends. You also might be interested in how The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) breaks down profits for dealerships.
30% New car sales.
26% Used vehicles.
44% Service and parts department.
Be wary of dealer recommended maint. procedures that are not described in your maint. guide. Cleaning and adjusting self adjusting rear brakes, for those of you with older rear drum brake cars, is a great one.

+1 I watched my local dealership take advantage of the unknowing people around me last time I went to have mine services this oil additive or fuel system flush or bringing out "their" cabin filter (looked to be the same one each time to me) I probably changed my cabin filter too early too but I like to do my maintenance and have even considered not taking it back to get my last 2 free oil changes lol.

61 - 80 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.