Toyota Nation Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts
+1 I watched my local dealership take advantage of the unknowing people around me last time I went to have mine services this oil additive or fuel system flush or bringing out "their" cabin filter (looked to be the same one each time to me) I probably changed my cabin filter too early too but I like to do my maintenance and have even considered not taking it back to get my last 2 free oil changes lol.
Good for you, if possible, if you want something done right, do it your self. Toyota, it seems is a victim of it's own success, their cars are so reliable very little maint. is required. I've already bought 5 quarts of Toyota 0w20 with filter, and, the next oil change is on me in my drive way. Transmission/engine/fuel system flushes, to me, seem bogus as well as possible damage to your car. Called the dealer about shorting me a half quart on the last oil change, and, they said sorry, so I didn't push it.

Change your oil every 3000 miles, lube it or lose it. :)
I've been told by someone who works for Pennzoil aka Shell, that with modern good quality synthetic oils you'd need to change your oil filter before needing to actually change the oil itself.

I just got my Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0W-20 today and will change it tomorrow as the stupid asshat dealer put 5W-20 non-synthetic. It's the best oil on the market. You can buy it off amazon in packs of 3 5qt jugs. Since it's made from natural gas, it is cleaner than other oils.

Just jumping in here. I'm from the every 3,000 mile era and still find it hard to get my head around every 10,000.
Remember, the Toyota manuals also say the transmission fluid never needs to be changed. So owners who follow the manual end up needing new engines, transmssions and catalytic converters at between 100-200,000 miles. So the 10K oil change rule serves the interests of corporate Toyota (prevents powertrain component warranty claims) and the owners who sell/trade every 100,000 miles. But the 10K rule is bad for owners who aspire to drive far longer than 100,000 miles without needing major repairs.

Remember, the Toyota manuals also say the transmission fluid never needs to be changed. So owners who follow the manual end up needing new engines, transmssions and catalytic converters at between 100-200,000 miles. So the 10K oil change rule serves the interests of corporate Toyota (prevents powertrain component warranty claims) and the owners who sell/trade every 100,000 miles. But the 10K rule is bad for owners who aspire to drive far longer than 100,000 miles without needing major repairs.
:) Go to a dealership and talk to the people waiting for their cars been serviced. A lot of them doing 10,000 miles intervals and have more than 100,000 on their carand zero issues.

I tend to agree with you, not only is there no mention of tranny fluid change, there's no dip stick-system is sealed for life. As far as the 10,000 mile oil change, look closely, the owners manual has a big but regarding this, as in normal/severe driving conditions. So what would your preference be? I think with full synthetic you can get away with 7,500. My son's TSX maint. reminder comes on at about 6,500 using a synthetic blend.

I would replace the engine oil at 5000 miles tops even with the synthetic 0w20. Too many sludge engines that I've seen because of late oil changes. Most of this gen camry are 3-4 years old but wait until they are 10 years old.

I've seen a 2011 camry v6 with 25,000 miles that the oil was never changed from day one because the owner understood the free maintenance as maintenance-free and that engine was garbage! It was all sludged up and burning oil at this point.

And regarding the transmission somewhere in the manual it will say if you tow with your toyota with ws fluid you should replace the fluid every 60,000 miles which what I will stick by because a transmission is a transmission and it will get that fluid dirty no matter what and toyota doesn't specify a towing weight so they could mean towing your mother in law to church on Sunday . Having said this I would be very careful to replace the fluid because of the complicated procedure to check the level. Short these new 6 speed transmissions 1/2 a quart of oil and you will have all the shifting problems in the world and use the wrong fluid and you'll either make it judder or make be so soft and mellow if you are going to replace the fluid do it right and use genuine ws fluid

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

I would replace the engine oil at 5000 miles tops even with the synthetic 0w20. Too many sludge engines that I've seen because of late oil changes. Most of this gen camry are 3-4 years old but wait until they are 10 years old.

http://www.autoguide.com/mobile
The newer (after 2001) engines never had sludge problems, unless, like you stated above, someone have never replaced his oil. I've been running 5-30 SynPower Valvoline and 10K intervals on my 2001 2.2 (which called for 3K intervals on regular and 5K intervals on semi-synthetic oil) and had zero ill consumption and zero cold start smoking.

The newer (after 2001) engines never had sludge problems, unless, like you stated above, someone have never replaced his oil. I've been running 5-30 SynPower Valvoline and 10K intervals on my 2001 2.2 (which called for 3K intervals on regular and 5K intervals on semi-synthetic oil) and had zero ill consumption and zero cold start smoking.

Have you peeked under the valve cover? I would want to see a picture of a 5s motor with continuous 10k oil changes.

Also I have taken a 2.5 engine apart on a car that calls for 5w20 and 5000 mile oil change and one on a newer model with 0w20 and they both look exactly the same inside no better pcv system or any change inside the engine. I may be an old school mechanic talking but to me it seems toyota slapped a new oil cap and shipped the cars out of the factory trying to save a few bucks on the toyota care cost and hoping it doesn't come back and bite them later.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

As Toyota lube tech. I learned SO much working at high volume dealer and personally taking a car to low volume/costumer of 9 years dealer.

One thing-my work doesn't use synthetic oil even on Toyota Care cars that are requesting it. These oil changes are 25 bucks and they never surcharges on the ROs. I don't even think they even carry synthetic oil in parts since lot of costumers will request using their bought in oil. I been told they use a blend???? Then I have coworker who has been there for 10 years stating they use whatever the oil is that the tanker brings in. They have 300 gallon tank for 5w-20, 300 gallon tank for 0w-20, 500 gallon tank for 5w-30 which I either use automatic dispenser or walk up to a handle with 5 gallon jugs and fill up.

Then there's the dealer I'm going to which I now go to for my recalls. I walk up to parts and see whole large shelf full of oil bottles. And see techs walk up: pick up oil filters and 5 oil quart bottles then walk away. They charge surcharges for synthetic oil and they use the oil that Chicago Region Toyota warehouse distribute.

I would avoid going to express lube dealers. You have 18-20 year old working on your car without experience and careless how's things get done. I'm strong believer in "Treat the car like its your own" so I do my damnest to avoid that. But its tough when we're given 100-200 cars daily for express lube and having leads/managers/ service advisors jumping on your back to rush. Go find low volume dealer who has master/journeyman techs who actually took ASE tests that still do lube jobs. A dealer who believes in higher quality work and 0% default. I get cars that need oil changes then get sent to techs for major service: why am I even touching the car for an oil change???

Oh btw...you guys can pick up oil filter canister wrenches from NAPA. Same high quality as Matco and Snap-On. Been using the same two every day at work and they're holding up quite nicely.

Have you peeked under the valve cover? I would want to see a picture of a 5s motor with continuous 10k oil changes.

Also I have taken a 2.5 engine apart on a car that calls for 5w20 and 5000 mile oil change and one on a newer model with 0w20 and they both look exactly the same inside no better pcv system or any change inside the engine. I may be an old school mechanic talking but to me it seems toyota slapped a new oil cap and shipped the cars out of the factory trying to save a few bucks on the toyota care cost and hoping it doesn't come back and bite them later.
No pics, but at 120K VC gasket was replaced and the engine was as clean as a brand new penny.
My brother doing 8-9K intervals on 2002 GS300 and at 160K it doesn't consume any oil and doesn't smoke at all.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.