Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Today I went ahead and bought a larger camry v6 oil filter for my Matrix. The filter I used to install was Vix 51394. This time I got napa gold 1348. I got the part number from maintenance thread. The problem is that the filter is not only taller but also wider. I mean the diameter is larger. Does it fit the 1zz or I bought a wrong filter?
Tin Aluminum can Automotive tire Tin can Beverage can Automotive tire Wheel Rim Automotive wheel system Bicycle part Camera lens Tire Camera accessory Automotive tire Finger

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes 1394 is what I was using. But I read in the maintenance thread that the larger v6 filter is recommended. Am I missing something? Here is an snapshot:
Font Material property Screenshot Number Parallel Font Screenshot Number Document Multimedia

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
11,750 Posts
The way I read that is the 1st 2 fit and the other Napa ones mentioned are for other Toyotas with the 3.5-4.0 V6 or V8 applications. The Matrix owners site says the Pureolator PL14477 is the same diameter but a bit longer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's correct. But the second screenshot says:

"I highly recommend using V6 Filters on both the 1ZZFE and 2ZZGE engines, for their increased capacity."

I thought this is why the part numbers for the V6 engines are included there. Otherwise it does'nt make sense to write the part number for other Toyota models that doesn't fit corolla in the 9th gen corolla maintenance thread.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
11,750 Posts
Well it did come off the internet and it's pretty obvious it's too large in diameter. It probably made sense to the writer but didn't translate well in their write up.
I.E , you and I read it differently.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot for the reply. Yes I agree that it is too large. I need to go buy another one then. I hope to be able to return it but I'm not sure I can since I opened it's plastic packaging. It was cheap though so not big of a deal.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you go to the actual source (Napa, Rock Auto, etc) and enter year/make/modele, you will get the CORRECT part, far more often than reading what some yahoo wrote on the Internet.

Some people like to "upsize" their oil filter to have more filter media surface for better filtration, more oil sitting in the filter for cold start-up, and other reasons. I doubt there will be any meaningful benefit to the engine if maintenance is done regularly and quality oil is always used. Only regular UOA (Used Oil Analysis) will preliminary corroborate my belief and a complete engine teardown & inspection will verify this. Both will cost money, esp an engine teardown.

·
イリジウム
14,129 Posts
The PL14477 mentioned would be the 1/2" longer than the old PL14476. One member using the V6 Motorcraft FL400s on the 1ZZ, see the picture here:

1348 is equivalent to the standard Camry V6 canister filter or PL10241. FL400s is slightly longer, and the current Motorcraft version is shorter than the older PH3600 size.

The V6 gasket is larger, but there's overlap on the inner side of the larger gasket. If the filter mount is in good condition, then the larger filter should seal without problems. For most people, you might not want to be that aggressive in going with a V6 filter; therefore the recommendation of PL-14477 or the Bosch 3325 I mentioned in the above thread should work fine.

Hello everyone,

Today I went ahead and bought a larger camry v6 oil filter for my Matrix. The filter I used to install was Vix 51394. This time I got napa gold 1348. I got the part number from maintenance thread. The problem is that the filter is not only taller but also wider. I mean the diameter is larger. Does it fit the 1zz or I bought a wrong filter?

·
Registered
669 Posts
I know that the oil filter for my 08 Rav4 is the same diameter as my 06 Corolla , except taller. I use the taller filters with more filtering media in both of them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The question I have to ask is why are you using a different filter than what is recommended by Toyota? Are you trying to get better engine oil filtration for longer engine life? I would recommend you use the filter that is indicated by the manufacturer. If you want better engine life and less repairs, do like I do. I change my oil every 8000 Kms. ( 5000 mi.)
Just before the proper synthetic oil change I remove the dirty oil and rinse the engine with conventional oil for a few hours driving time, then I do the full synthetic oil change and oil filter change. I have never had a engine failure or repair in 25 years.

·
Registered
2008 Corolla S
764 Posts
Hello everyone,

View attachment 329556 View attachment 329554 View attachment 329555
Does the gasket still seat on the oil filter mounting point? I use the Mobil M1-209 filter and its larger and works. 300,000 miles and still not burning oil lol

·
Registered
Corolla, Camry, Tundra, Camry, Avalon, Highlander, Venza, Highlander
4,285 Posts
Why use a bigger filter? Why not!

If you want to know if the oversized filter fits your engine, you screw it on. Really simple.

My 2.2 Camry took a 51394 filters. I stepped up to the 57145. And, I then upsized it to a 51348 filter. Finally, went to the 51516 filter for the last 100k miles before some moron ran a red light. Did the same with a 1.8 Corolla too.

My 2.4 Camry... skipped the steps and went straight to the 51516/PH3600/FL400s filters, since that is what I had leftover from my 2.2 and 1.8!

The CORRECT filter is whatever you want to use. Its called freedom of choice to do what you want. I've run single and dual remotely mounted PH8a sized filters on some engines. And, the quart sized PH8a size filters fit my ol' 4.7 Tundra/Sequoias too.

Concerning the filter gasket, all you do is peel one off and line it up on the mount. Most filter mounts have a wide area for the gasket so oversized filters seal just fine.

Sounds ludicrous to rinse an engine with conventional oil before going to synth. But, you have the freedom of choice to do so. And, there is nothing proper with synthetic.

My larger filters increase oil capacity. My larger filters increased oil filter surface area. Both are beneficial to an engine.
Btw, I only recommend and use synthetic media filters.

Reactions: NorCal XRS

·
イリジウム
14,129 Posts
In addition to what Greasy said, more filter media area also cuts down on the differential pressure drop across the filter media while increasing dirt holding capacity. So oil also flows easier.

That said, there are many members who are sticklers for OE Toyota filters. Nothing wrong with that, whatever makes you sleep at night.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I just use the taller filter. Mainly because it’s compatible with more vehicles I work on and I’ve had zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2005 Corolla XRS
22 Posts
There’s an even larger oil filter from a Lexus V8, LS400 I believe, that fit my XRS 2zz-ge. Allowed a full 5 qt capacity when buying 5 qt jugs of synthetic oil. I used the Mobil 1 version, and priced the same as the small oe size Mobil 1

·
Registered
275 Posts
PL14477 is the tall filter that zz owners run, but tbh I dont really understand the benefit. You get to add in a little more oil, have a little more surface area but noticeable changes are hard to come by.

Should not hurt anything, unless the bypass valve has been specced differently, but judging most people it runs fine.

Does the V6 filter screw in without leaking, the diameter seems off?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There’s an even larger oil filter from a Lexus V8, LS400 I believe, that fit my XRS 2zz-ge. Allowed a full 5 qt capacity when buying 5 qt jugs of synthetic oil. I used the Mobil 1 version, and priced the same as the small oe size Mobil 1
Was the one you used only taller or both taller and larger in diameter?

Based on the discussion in this thread I decided not to return the filter I bought. I will try it on my next oil change in the next couple of weeks to see if it fits. I know it screws on no problem since the threads are identical, I am only concerned about the diameter. I am not sure if the gasket will sit completely on the housing surface.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
PL14477 is the tall filter that zz owners run, but tbh I dont really understand the benefit. You get to add in a little more oil, have a little more surface area but noticeable changes are hard to come by.

Should not hurt anything, unless the bypass valve has been specced differently, but judging most people it runs fine.
Using a larger filter definitely won't hurt. It might not be significantly beneficial but with almost the same price for the small and large filters (wix or napa gold), why not to use a larger one?

Does the V6 filter screw in without leaking, the diameter seems off?
This is the questions I was trying to find an answer to when I started this discussion. It seems that I have to try it myself to see if it fits.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am writing this for anyone who might find this thread later. Last week I changed the oil and filter. I used the larger V6 filter (NAPA gold 1348) which is the same as VIX 51348. The filter fits perfectly fine. The housing is large enough so that the filter gasket completely sits on the surface. I drove the car for over a week checking regularly for a potential oil leak but I found none. So I think the larger Camry V6 filters can be used on Corolla without an issue.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts