Toyota Nation Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
Late reply but I'm the thread Starter. The V6 filters fit perfectly fine. I ran them for years until stepping up to Taurus filters. I've been using an XG3600 for the last few years and that filter is not only absolutely massive in comparison, but it also fits perfectly, holds more oil, and will never go into bypass as it has over twice as much media.

There are loads of reasons to go bigger and zero drawbacks. All my Toyotas run FL400S sized filters, including my big single 1.5JZ Cressida.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
@hardtopte72, I was kinda hoping you would step up and make the clarification as you wrote the maintenance thread. Thanks for your reply.
I just don't understand what you mean by FL400S size filters. Does napa and vix have these size filters? What would be the part number for them then? I searched XG3600 and a Fram filter showed up. Is this the filter you are refering to?
Tire Font Automotive tire Rectangle Gas

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
128 Posts
Is there a real benefit for the slightly larger filter? On a stock engine is so minimal it won't matter, I can see the whole using the whole 5 quart jug at once vs leaving 1/2 of a quart in the jug as an incentive, normally I just use about half a quart when draining the oil to push out any old oil out of the bottom of the oil pan. Now if you drive your 1ZZ or 2ZZ as if was a Supra (high revving the crap out of it) yes go for it, for daily driving with only a few passes here and there depending on traffic it becomes pointless.

Will it hurt the engine to use the bigger oil filter? No, but half a quart more oil and it's added surface area won't be making a huge difference either.

The whole concept that more is better when it comes to oil is for people that build race engines (N/A or force fed) and they normally include a bigger baffled oil pan, a filter relocation kit, aftermarket oil cooler, etc this is when you can reap benefits of a bigger oil filter, but the added oil capacity increases significantly as well, not just half a quart.

Can you just add a bigger oil filter obviously yes, but again the actual gains if any will be minimal, how much longer can you go without changing the oil when only adding 1/2 a quart more, or the filter media is only minimally increased? This is easily answered by looking how often an oil change should be done on said bigger engine...I will help you is the same.

If the price point is the same for both size filters is really a personal choice, WalMart usually has the cheapest price on oil that I've found and now they sell Toyota filters so I just go there, although my local dealer also does oil changes for $30 with a car wash included when making an appointment, so when I have some time to burn that's my opinion number 2, but doing my oil change myself is so much faster and I don't have to deal with sales pitch on what else I need to fix on my car.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Increase oil capacity (To the Jug)
Increase pleats
Lower likelihood of bypassing

All great things to me. The costs of upping the size of filter is very small given the amount of life you can get out of one alone.

The best thing to actually do is plan ahead. Buy all of your consumables on Rock + Auto. All prices on that site is very good and you can save easily half of retail store bought and even beat your fav Amazonian and E-tailBay and Wally World. You optimize and opt to get the best at the cost of holding spares. Or, if your like me I service cars so I have the common Toyo and Hond sizes on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89SupraT 96T100
128 Posts
Increase oil capacity (To the Jug)
Increase pleats
Lower likelihood of bypassing

All great things to me. The costs of upping the size of filter is very small given the amount of life you can get out of one alone.
Ok, I'll bite, what is the actual increase in pleats area compared to the stock Toyota filter? When you say added life are you referring to as in going beyond the recommended oil change intervals for the 1ZZ or 2ZZ?

I can see the added volume will reduce the chance of bypass according to the increase in volume, the only times I've heard of bypass being suspect in engine damage on stock engines is low quality filters or fake oil filters (Amazon, EBay mainly), last but not least owners driving their cars as if they were formula 1 cars going on that last lap, but this last group will eventually break something due to the engine abuse, if anyone drives like this, then by all means invest on an aftermarket oil filter, cooler and change the oil more often. I honestly don't see where the gains justify spending even if it's $0.50 difference.

·
Super Moderator
2005 Corolla CE
15,158 Posts
@hardtopte72, I was kinda hoping you would step up and make the clarification as you wrote the maintenance thread. Thanks for your reply.
I just don't understand what you mean by FL400S size filters. Does napa and vix have these size filters? What would be the part number for them then? I searched XG3600 and a Fram filter showed up. Is this the filter you are refering to?
View attachment 334640
Yes the XG3600 is an FL400S sized filter. FL400 are the filters for the OHV Ford Taurus engines which happen to have the same internal specs as the Toyota filters. In Purolator it would be *20195 (e.g. PL20195). I run the XG3600 because it's a very high quality, affordable, synthetic media, massive, high efficiency filter.

As for larger filters, they provide a ton of benefits already listed, including allowing longer intervals for the oil filter. Increased oil capacity is also always better, especially as engine wear and begin to consume oil. Bigger filters don't cost any extra in my experience as the Toyota sized and FL400S filters are priced identically. The media area is a massive difference. I'm pretty sure it's over 2 times as much surface area but I can't find the link. Also as an aside some online filter tests show Toyota oil filters having really low efficiency (51% at 20 microns).

What any of that means is up to the individual owner. I have around 170K on my Corolla. It doesn't use any oil, has zero leaks (not even the timing chain tensioner, which is a very common leak point) and is immaculate inside the cap. Since owning it, it has only ever had high quality synthetic oil and oversized filters. YMMV

Reactions: 75aces

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I cannot say how much more surface area versus Toyota but my guess is around 10% from moving from a 1zz filter to 2zz filter. Around 15-20% from 1zz to V6 Filter mentioned here. But all this varies by which brand your comparing to. I will be disassembling filters and posting them on my posts soon... when I can find the time. I think if there are people interested I can also cut open cheapo filters, other vehicle filters, OEM, enlarged variants so that you guys can see actual specs.

The 1zz filter is small from factory. It’s not as small as a quick lube cheapo filter or workshop filter tho. The 2zz filter size is normal size IMO. I use the 2zz sized filter which I think is the normal size to be used for both 1zz and 2zz.

By life I mean the standard 4-5k oil change interval. Nothing more or less. I practice 4.5k personally, twice a year generally.

Oil capacity alone is a big thing when it comes to cooling. But the idea about volume in the filter I do agree you would have to be really pushing the motor to the limits to benefit from bypass valve limitations. Especially driving a 2zz oil pump at 7k+rpm is ludicrous.

Price wise: Ex.
V6 size XG3600 mentioned is ~7 on Rock ~11 in this image.
2zz size XG4967 7.45 on Rock
Bosch 3325 4.21 on Rock
WIX 57145XP 6.68 on Rock

You could save buying the larger almost the 50 cents. But a save nonetheless. The key to using Rock is for sure to buy bulk like for example filters, bulbs, wipers, brake pads, rotors, odd and ends. So that shipping costs are low or free after discount. Anything over 200 bucks is good. 300 breaks even. Anything more is discounted earnings. Between myself, family, and friends we easily hit 300+ and since I have storage space and a large shed, I’m often the one who orders and hold onto spares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I went ahead and ordered a FoMoCo FL440S on Amazon for $3.97 shipped for my next oil change. Saved me a trip to WallyFart for the same price. That's the one my '05 Jaguar used and had good results. Nice and long and I'll give it a go with the needed increase in oil if the treads line up and the gasket dia is the same . I did buy a Toyota one for it from WalF#$k, but it says made in Thailand, so I'm hesitant about using it. I also have an O'Reilly's MicroGuard MGL51394 on hand.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ok guys/gals,
I installed the MotorCraft FL440S filter and got some leaks around the gasket. Seems the flange on the engine is not wide enough for it. Specs on the 400S is the same as the 1348. I still wanted a larger capacity filter, so I went with the WIX 7145. Same dia and a bit longer as the 1394. Sealed fine and needed a 1/2 quart more oil to fill mark. I'm good with that now.
Just a heads up.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Why? Do you imagine you have more containments that are not being trapped by the smaller filter that flows faster? Is your engine so sludged from neglect that you need a bigger filter? What do you hope to gain and what benefit do you think you will get in the real world? Not trying to talk you out of it just asking some serious questions!

·
One with the farce
3,447 Posts
Here’s my thoughts on upsizing the filter. If your engine is making enough metallic particles to make the filter bypass, you’ve got bigger issues to worry about than whether or not your filter is bypassing. Seems like this is strictly subjective reasoning where bigger must be better, simply because it’s bigger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just asking, but if a larger filter lowers the pressure across the media, is that a good thing to lower the oil pressure?
Also, how does one know what all these filters' bypasses are set at?

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
5,218 Posts
Just asking, but if a larger filter lowers the pressure across the media, is that a good thing to lower the oil pressure?
Also, how does one know what all these filters' bypasses are set at?
Lower pressure across the media means more flow into the engine.
The oil pressure sensor (gauges on older cars that had them) are downstream of the filter, so they will show slightly improved pressure with a less restrictive filter.

But yes... if a filter is bypassing, it has either been left in service too long, the oil weight is too high (like 10w40/20w50), or there is some serious muck in the pan.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts