Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new here this is my first post. I bought a 1996 Camry DX yesterday and I want to change the oil so I have a starting point for my "every 3000 miles". Anyways the guy I bought the car from says he used 5W40 synthetic oil in it, but my grandfather said that I should use 10W30, which is what he says he always uses. Anyways I don't know anything about this sort of stuff, I just want to know what the best oil I can put in it is, cause I want it to last till I get out of school. If anyone knows anything about this and can help please feel free to respond. Thanks guys.

Patrick

·
Registered
171 Posts
Did you get the manual with the car? It'll say in there which grade of oil you should use.
I think its also printed on the oil filler cap. Check that.
Probably 5w30.

You can search for comparisons of synth to dino. It's been done here a lot.

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
If you have synthetic oil in your car I wouldn't recommend that you put regular oil in the car

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
if the car has over 100K miles, i'd use reg oil (or semi-synthetic), if its under 100K miles keep using synthetic...as far as 5w30 or 10w30...i use 5s30 in the winters (in wisconsin)..summers i use 10w30. If summer year round (like here in texas) i use 10w30 all the time. You decide for where the car will be used!

·
Searchin & Lurkin
25 Posts
jhbhatia said:
if the car has over 100K miles, i'd use reg oil (or semi-synthetic), if its under 100K miles keep using synthetic...as far as 5w30 or 10w30...i use 5s30 in the winters (in wisconsin)..summers i use 10w30. If summer year round (like here in texas) i use 10w30 all the time. You decide for where the car will be used!
Why not use synthetic over 100k? My 94 has 182k on it and it's been on Mobil 1 10w30 for a long time before I got it (176k), and I'm continuing to use it, is that bad?

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
Green Dragon said:
Why not use synthetic over 100k? My 94 has 182k on it and it's been on Mobil 1 10w30 for a long time before I got it (176k), and I'm continuing to use it, is that bad?
Not really..just as long as you replae the seals. I've heard/read been told to use semi-synthetic beyond 100K...so don't know if harmful..if anything its must be good!

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I switched from dino to synth several thousand miles ago on my 160K V6 and I am staying that way. No extra leaks and the oil comes out clean. Runs like a charm.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
the dispute over reg. and synth oils. i love it.

for most part deciding between 5w-30 and 10w-30 is done by looking at your oil cap. most of the times they tell you what to put in their. Thats what your really should put in your car. as for syntheic stuff i have no idea where to begin. there really isn't a better oil. just mainly on the user.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It all depends on the temp. You use a different oil for different temps. Usually you use a 10w-30 if the temp outside is higher and a 5w-30 when its colder.

·
Registered
214 Posts
^-- yep, he's right...the weight of the oil you wanna use all depends on what temps you plan on seeing

as far as oil quality...regular oil changes at walmart will get you through life...other things will go wrong on your car way before oil becomes a problem if you just keep up regular changing of oil and the filter

·
Registered
475 Posts
Since the previous owner used synthetic. Stick with synthetic.

Start with a 30wt, and monitor your oil consumption. If it consumes oil, then move up to a 40wt.

If you can get your hands on GC (German Castrol). That is very good oil. It is Castrol Syntec 0w30 but Made in Germany! Available only in some autozones.

·
Registered
147 Posts
10w-30 is sorta a general purpose "safe" weight that splits the difference between the others. Toyota's recomendations are not the gospel because tempertures and loads varry depending on location and driving habits. If the previous owner used synthetic, than I would stick with synthetic. I would also thicken the weight before I would use dino or semi-synthetic.

A certain amount of oil burning is normal for a high mileage engine. Supposedly, it only becomes an issue if you burn more than one quart every 1,000 miles. Then you need to think about replacing the oil control rings.

- John

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think im using some 10w-30 with some 5w-30 mixed in with it. Haven't had any problems so.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts