Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ah, ok, thx for clearing that up.
Immediately? Or did it take some time to warm up before steam came out? Was it coming out forcefully, or was it possibly just the previously burped out coolant steaming off gently?
It takes about 10 minutes for the steam to come out (car gets to operating temperature pretty quickly because it's about 110 degrees in my garage). And the steam was just barely coming out. Steam only started coming out of the cap after I replaced the radiator and the steam comes out less and less every time.

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Usually with a cap leak or radiator leak, the steam comes out very forcefully. “Barely coming out” makes me think it’s just spilled coolant evaporating away. I’d give the area a good rinsing with a garden hose, let it sit for a few hours at least, and start ‘er up again. See if it still gives off steam.

What does the temp gauge in the cluster show?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Usually with a cap leak or radiator leak, the steam comes out very forcefully. “Barely coming out” makes me think it’s just spilled coolant evaporating away. I’d give the area a good rinsing with a garden hose, let it sit for a few hours at least, and start ‘er up again. See if it still gives off steam.

What does the temp gauge in the cluster show?
Temp gauge reads normal. I'm gonna hit it with the water hose and I'll update later. Hopefully this is the end of this lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hey guys thankfully last update. The problem is solved! Let the car dry for a couple hours to get for a 20-minute spin around the block brought it back no steam coming out the cap anymore. Thank you for all your guy's help I really appreciate it. Cheers! 🍻

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Noice. I like happy endings.

Reactions: Bigboom997

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey I'm back unfortunately. Car started overheating again. I saw steam coming from the hose in this picture and saw it leaking water as well. Don't know what this hose is called. But I'm confident that it's the water pump as I can hear the typical bad water pump noises (metallic sound similar to clicking). Does anyone know what this hose is called? Looks like I need to replace it as you can tell from the picture. I'll add more pictures if needed.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
I’m not that familiar with the 4cyl, but I’d guess that hose runs to the heater core. Maybe some more familiar can chime in?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I’m not that familiar with the 4cyl, but I’d guess that hose runs to the heater core. Maybe some more familiar can chime in?
The big hose above it is the upper radiator hose. Hopefully someone knows which hose is circled in the picture I provided

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So I took my thermostat out. Upon taking it out absolutely no coolant spilled out of the lower radiator hose northern thermostat housing. Leads me to believe that the water pump is not pulling water into the lower rad hose because the water pump is bad. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm going to go ahead and try to troubleshoot this myself I think I can handle it. If anyone has any suggestions or advice feel free to let me know

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
968 Posts
Can only relay my experience w/ a bad water pump on the '00 Camry here, which was leaking -> letting air into the system, everything you have posted above, including post #29 ... matches what I observed and experienced here.

Before condemning the water pump though - how many miles since it was last changed? Because air in the system will make any water pump cavitate / sound unhappy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Can only relay my experience w/ a bad water pump on the '00 Camry here, which was leaking -> letting air into the system, everything you have posted above, including post #29 ... matches what I observed and experienced here.

Before condemning the water pump though - how many miles since it was last changed? Because air in the system will make any water pump cavitate / sound unhappy.
I just bought this car about a month ago so I'm not sure when the last time it was changed was

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #33

Looking at the water pump now and it's really dirty. Looks like it hasn't been replaced for some time. I'm starting to form a love hate relationship with this car lol

Attachments

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
968 Posts
If you're hearing a bad water pump, I would go w/ your instincts then.

If you are doing a full TB & water pump service, Aisin sells a complete kit, and is highly recommended by many here.

Shop that did the TB / water pump service here used a "ContiTech Pro" kit that is holding up well, no issues.

That hose pic above looks like one of the bypass hoses - link below has a diagram, should give you better info:

1998 Camry 2.2 cooling system components

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you're hearing a bad water pump, I would go w/ your instincts then.

If you are doing a full TB & water pump service, Aisin sells a complete kit, and is highly recommended by many here.

Shop that did the TB / water pump service here used a "ContiTech Pro" kit that is holding up well, no issues.

That hose pic above looks like one of the bypass hoses - link below has a diagram, should give you better info:

1998 Camry 2.2 cooling system components
Thank you that really helps me out. Definitely is the bypass hose. Gonna get to work on this thing and I'll update when I'm done reinstalling the new parts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Hey guys quick question I've changed the water pump and now at the moment I'm setting time on my timing belt. My cam pulley is lined up correctly, but the harmonic balancer is not at the 0 mark. It's lined up at the line to the left of those number indicators. Is this correct? Please help

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Nevermind that last post I figured it out. I've never done tranny or engine work, just replaced parts here and there mostly and never did a job this big. This is one hell of a job just for the water pump. I'm currently putting it back together. It's 2 AM at the moment so I'm gonna finish this tomorrow and will update you guys when I'm done. Gotta say I'm pretty proud of myself, didn't think I could tackle a job this big 😃

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Still waiting to pick up the final part for my car. Will be getting it today or tomorrow. It's the coolant bypass hose. Once I install it I'll post an update to let you guys know if I've fixed the overheating problem.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The plastic tank radiators fail where the tank is crimped onto the core especially if it the original.
There cheap and easy to replace, odds are it was leaking until the car overheated and that was the tipping point for the radiator to fail completely. Check Rockauto. They carry the Spectra line which are good units.
Also just a heads up to others. The J-VIN (TMC) overflow tank will work fine in the 4-VIN (TMMK) cars. For some reason the one for the TMMK cars is impossible to find and no part manufacture states that it’s possible. I ended up on a trip calling around trying to find a replacement before just duct-taping the old part and driving home. Luckily it held, but before I spent the money I went and grabbed one from a J-VIN. Fit fine, OG hose and everything. Surprisingly, even pulled from a junk car it’s still holding.

Yup, replaced ALL of my TMMK car's radiators. Strangely, my one TMC has not had a radiator failure...not even after 321,000 miles...
Steam from around the radiator tank means it's done. Stick a fork in it, it's dead like plaid with stripes.
Luckily, these radiators are as easy as it gets to change. IIRC, four bolts, two electrical connectors and five hoses. All easy to reach.
And they're cheap. You're hard-pressed to pay over $100.
I think I paid $60 or so for a DENSO from Amazon. Figured it’s the OEM part how could I go wrong. The OG failed in my 99 TMC at 20yr/162k miles. I had basically never touched a car before and got it done in like an hour being careful. Now here I am replacing suspensions. These cars are gateways lol.

I will always recommend Toyotas, especially the SXV20 but I do notice the TMMK cars have more problems at this point in their life. I personally service 4 of them, 2 TMMK (116k, 222k) and 2 TMC (125k, 175k). They’ve all had blown struts by this point, but the TMMK cars have had a rad each, 116k had the coolant tank swapped and the IAC is failing and the 222k had the power steering res crack. For the TMC 125k has needed basically nothing and the 175k had the rad. I should add the 125k TMC has a small oil leak, 175k burns about a quart every 3k but both TMMK cars have no leaks or burn problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So it overheated again today. Noticed the fans aren't coming on. I've replaced the coolant temperature sensor but they still don't come on. But the fans do come on when I disconnect one of the wires (forgot the name of it) and also they turn on when I turn on the AC. My guess is it could have overheated due to the fans not coming on.

At this point I've replaced the radiator (had leaks), thermostat, water pump (could hear that it was beginning to fail) and the coolant temp sensor.

Any ideas? I'm lost at this point. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

21 - 40 of 46 Posts