Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Camry 2000LE V6 5spd as a replacement for a '96 Integra GSR. My daughter decided she wanted to take the 'Teg back to Mich. State Univ.with her. I kind of miss the 8000rpm redline but the Camry is way torquier, not to mention much quieter.
One thing I liked about the Integra was the short throw shifter.
The Camry's throw is much longer. Does anybody know of a source for a short throw for the Camry. The Solara's is supposed to be much better. Would that fit my Camry?
Also I actually read part of the owner's manual and it says that for more performance to run premium gas. How much difference does the higher octane make?
Thanks
groundpounder2

·
The Other White Meat
3,741 Posts
unsure on the shifter.

the 1mz was designed for 100 octane so running the highest grade will result in the least amount of timing retard, so more performance and better economy.

awesome, with a bit of work youll eat v6 mustangs for breakfast.

·
TN Pussy Man
13,302 Posts
yes, a solara short shifter should fit the camry

you can also use a 92-93 celica shifter- ratko got one from TWM back in the day and it fit
only thing was that the shifter was then REALLY short....to the point where it looked like it was just a ball sitting on a leather shift boot

·
camry Wookie
430 Posts
i have a gen 7 celica short shifter in my gen 3 camry, and before that i had a custom made job that i did myself(lengthened the bottom shortened the top) i think that would fit for you too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
groundpounder2:

I don't know about terrastrife's claim of 100 octane design for 1MZ series engines. Toyota indicates for best performance it needs 96 Research octane rating, equivalent to 91 (R+M)/2 at the pump. He/she is right about the spark advance -- I don't know about the better economy claim either. Note that terrastrife is driving the ancestor of the 1MZ-FE; it's similar to the later engine, but had slightly different operating characteristics.

I drive a 2001 Camry LE v6 with manual 5 speed and know that my gas mileage is not significantly different on any octane gasoline. Environmental factors such as wind, temperature, amount of stop & go traffic, blah, blah, blah, account for the variability in my mileage (uh, yeah, I've examined the data statistically).

In general, one gets better gas mileage with less gasoline in the tank; rule of paw is 2% for every 100lbs of weight -- but that is also buried in the noise of environmental factors.

My engine burns the 87 octane okay fine; no pinging ... ever ... but it's not a peppy as with 93 octane. What I try to do is keep a mix of 1/3rds 87 octane and 2/3rds 93 octane slushed together in the tank -- this gives one about 91 octane for *ABOUT* the same price as the 89 octane offering -- this of course depends on the price structure.

Ultimately, if you like to accelerate quickly, burn the good stuff. Otherwise, save a couple of shekels and burn the regular.

Papa

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally I always had better results with 94 octane here in Canada. It really.did make a difference in the 4k rpm to 6250 rpm range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts