Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Solara that came with factory leather seats which are in horrible shape and I'm looking to switch to cloth. I was wondering if seats are interchangeable with the same generation Camry. My seats are 8 way power adjustable.Not sure if the Camry came with the same power options but if anything I can just modify the connectors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There's a DIY for swapping ES300 seats into a Solara. I have ES300 seats in my Camry. I'm pretty sure the bolt holes line up so you should be good to go. You may not even need to modify the connectors if you buy Camry seats. The only issue you'll have is the flip forward mechanism to get to the back seats won't be present in Camry seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying beatercamry. I overlooked the flip forward mechanism when considering swapping seats from a Camry. Looks like I might have to wait it out until a junk yard has a Solara with 8-Way cloth cloth seats. Just thought it would be easier sourcing from a Camry since they're so abundant.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,326 Posts
I have a 2003 Solara that came with factory leather seats which are in horrible shape and I'm looking to switch to cloth. I was wondering if seats are interchangeable with the same generation Camry. My seats are 8 way power adjustable.Not sure if the Camry came with the same power options but if anything I can just modify the connectors.
My sis has a 95 DX and she wanted an adjustable LE driver seat. She is tall as well and wanted a lower seating position. I found her a LE driver seat and switched her DX upholstery on to the LE frame. I had to make a couple holes for the LE bottom cushion adjustments. It wasn't difficult to do. I was wonder if you could do a Camry upholstery swap onto your Solara frames?
W95c

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My sis has a 95 DX and she wanted an adjustable LE driver seat. She is tall as well and wanted a lower seating position. I found her a LE driver seat and switched her DX upholstery on to the LE frame. I had to make a couple holes for the LE bottom cushion adjustments. It wasn't difficult to do. I was wonder if you could do a Camry upholstery swap onto your Solara frames?
W95c
That's one possibility. I'd have to do a side by side comparison though to see if the measurements are the same. They look about exact in pictures but it could be deceiving.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
244 Posts
If you wish, I can take pictures of my '99 LE seat mechanism so that you might be better able to determine if even feasible. The 4 dr DOES tilt, just not completely forward, it could be that the 2 dr lower is the difference, and that they might work with a bit of hard part swapping.
Then too, might be wholly different. It's why I offer.
I'm changing TO leather, and have to swap the heated cloth cushions, so I'm fully disassembling the seats.

Cosmo

·
Registered
2001 Camry
497 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is whether or not your car and/or the donor car has side airbags. Many with leather seats DID come with side airbags. You might want to find a donor seat that also had the side airbags in that case.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. I've been looking up VINs of the Camrys that are available at my local LKQ. None of them show that they have side airbags. My Solara doesn't have them either. Only driver and passenger front air bags. Just from what I looked up, it doesn't look like any Camry's came with 8-Way diver seats. @Cosmofennema, the tilt mechanism is to access the back of the car. There's a lever that you pull which mechanically which "catapults" the whole seat forward (since it's a two door car). So I think it's specific to the Solara and would be absent from the Camry since it's 4 door.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
497 Posts
You are right, the Camry seat won't have the "catapult" mechanism. So you would lose that functionality. Didn't even cross my mind. But, if you leave the passenger seat alone, your rear passengers can still get in from the passenger side.

·
Registered
Toyotas.
244 Posts
the tilt mechanism is to access the back of the car. There's a lever that you pull which mechanically which "catapults" the whole seat forward (since it's a two door car). So I think it's specific to the Solara and would be absent from the Camry since it's 4 door.
No stranger to two doors, me. I'm suggesting that the mechanism may be swappable to the Camry 4dr seat. I know it's not there, I don't know that it could not be PUT there. Which is why I offered photos. Then too, I modify everything I touch, sometimes quite drastically, so modifying is in my blood, it's what I do. And I thought that this might just be another modification...

Cosmo

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got you Cosmofennema. I'm sure there are modifications that can be done. But I was looking for more of a straight forward swap. Looking into it further, it looks like there's more work than I would like if I swapped a seat from a Camry sedan. On my Solara there things to consider. There are sensors on the seats that I'm not sure the 97-01 Camry's have. If there is someone in the seat, there are pressure sensors on the seat (both driver and passenger) that turn on the "seat belt" icon on the dash. I believe these pressure sensors also trigger the "air bag" icon on the as well.

·
Registered
2001 Camry
497 Posts
Interesting, didn't know the 2003 Solara would have those sensors. In that case, you are correct that the 97-01 Camrys don't have that sensor. Perhaps the 2002-2004 Camry sedan might?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting, didn't know the 2003 Solara would have those sensors. In that case, you are correct that the 97-01 Camrys don't have that sensor. Perhaps the 2002-2004 Camry sedan might?
Yeah if I have someone riding with me or if I put something heavy enough in my seat, it will trigger the passenger seat belt icon to turn on. What sucks is that the controls for the Solara seat are embedded into the cushion. The controls on the Camry have controls in the plastic trim. Also, I'd have to find a way to integrate the tilt latch. I'll look at the next generation Camry and see if that's viable.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Camry
497 Posts
Why not find a Solara cloth seat w/o side airbags, with power controls, in good condition, and swap that one in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why not find a Solara cloth seat w/o side airbags, with power controls, in good condition, and swap that one in?
That's what it boils down to. There just aren't that many Solaras I've come across that have cloth power seats. There's one at the junk yard close to me but they are in nasty condition. I was just entertaining the thought of swapping one from a XV20 Camry. The majority of the ones in the junk yard are actually in really good condition and have held up better through the years. And they're always available.

·
Registered
29 Posts
There's a DIY for swapping ES300 seats into a Solara. I have ES300 seats in my Camry. I'm pretty sure the bolt holes line up so you should be good to go. You may not even need to modify the connectors if you buy Camry seats. The only issue you'll have is the flip forward mechanism to get to the back seats won't be present in Camry seats.

Is there any chance you have a link for the ES300 seat swap?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts