Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Own : 99 Camry LE, 4 cyclinder.

When I start the car it starts up but dies quickly, if I try again same thing happens it starts then dies.
Tried this:
When I start and pump gas (put accelerator around 2 to 3 rpm) for a minute or so, car does not stop. Any ideas what the issue can be?

·
Registered
373 Posts
How many miles on the Odo.? Is this a new situation?

Initially I would suggest you have a fuel delivery/management issue(s). I would check and clean if necessary your throttle body and your idle air control valve for openers. Possibly replace the fuel filter if you don't know when it was last replaced. There are DIY's in the stickie section for all of these. I would initially rule out your fuel pump and pressure regulator as when you depress the accelerator pedal your engine responds accordingly.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
5,611 Posts
[MENTION=891065]This happens only when I start the engine for the first time in a day. If no pedaling then engine stops immediately, need to put little pedaling.
I suspect the ECT (engine coolant temp sensor). It tells the computer of engine temp and when cold will enrich fuel mixture for starting. By "pedaling" the TPS (throttle position sensor) is adding a shot of fuel with each pump.

You can test the sensor with an OHM meter by unplugging the connector and touching the two contacts. Someone here will tell you the cold engine resistance.

·
Default User Title
Camry GEN 3
769 Posts
I am positive it is the IAC valve that needs to be cleaned. or replaced...

·
Registered
373 Posts
There is a quick Ohm's test for the IACV coil. Hit the stickies for it as well. This will tell you if your IACV is worthy of cleaning or if it needs to be replaced. And while you are there Ohming the IACV coil throw the leads on the ECT to determine its health.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Did oil change yesterday, mechanic said there was very little oil.

Today morning same issue:

Tried twice, engine started and stopped.
Checked engine oil level, it was little above the second line.
Again started , this time it did not stop.

Noticed few oil marks.. don't know how bad it is.

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,394 Posts
That's not a really bad leak, as leaks go. But if you don't check & add oil until the next oil change, it will run dangerously low. I'd say check it once every 1000 miles and add as needed.

Running until the light on the cluster lights up is begging for a seized-up engine.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.