Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright well, just recently, I installed the lighted door sills that are on eBay. After I had installed them, the CEL went on, and the car sometimes has trouble starting. The ignition and starter will function fine, but when I try to start the car, it'll continuously try to turn over.

But first, here's a rundown. (2007 LE I4)

I T tapped the door sill wires into the courtesy light plug and wires. I also wanted to wire the rear so that it would light up with the back door switch. Well that part was a mistake I think. I T tapped into that set of wires, and it didn't do anything. So I just sealed it up with some electrical tape. That plug is also what powers the stereo I believe, and probably other things (I'll have to take a look at the wire diagram of the Gen 6). Anyway, once I had everything working properly, the CEL comes on whenever I have the engine on, and sometimes the engine will have a hard time starting or turning over. And also, on top of that, every once in a while, the car will start shaking and eventually slowly power down.

Now what I'm guessing the problem here is that the door sills are maybe drawing too much power from the car? But that also couldn't be likely cause the door sills are only lit when the doors are open. And also, when the car has a hard time starting, I'd just hit or kick that panel where the plugs are located, and the car would start up just fine again. So I'm also guessing that something could be loose as well?

I would think this has probably voided my warranty like hell, but I might have my Toyota dealer see what's going on when I go in for my free oil change. And I'm also going to have my TSB's applied as well. Anyone that could possibly know what's going on? I know it's an isolated situation, but any suggestions or help would be great.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Have someone who knows about cars install stuff nextime, Not being rude towards you, but now you know the consequences if you dont know what your doing. It's a brand new car, dont mess it up.

·
Registered
1994 Camry LE
380 Posts
JSM1284 said:
Have someone who knows about cars install stuff nextime, Not being rude towards you, but now you know the consequences if you dont know what your doing. It's a brand new car, dont mess it up.
Yep. Also, from my experience, 98.3% of ebay crap is just that. Crap. My advice would be to take the lighted sills off, put the factory ones back on, and forget about them. It'll probably fix your problem, too.

·
Registered
293 Posts
02whiteLE said:
Yep. Also, from my experience, 98.3% of ebay crap is just that. Crap. My advice would be to take the lighted sills off, put the factory ones back on, and forget about them. It'll probably fix your problem, too.
Agree. I looked at those and thought they were cool, but I decided to pass. The ones I saw were only $40 bucks or so shipped, and many times in life I've learned that you often do get exactly what you pay for.

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,396 Posts
Just get the non-lighted aluminum or stainless door sills

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.