Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
importrookie
93 camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 93 toyota camry 5sp w the 2.2lit was running and all of a sudden just died.im not getting spark or fuel.ive changed the plugs,wires igniter ,new dist. and the fuel pump.fuel pump isnt gettin power.havent changed the ecu yet. or maybe its a fuse or relay.my question is what one would shut everything down?thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Timing belt?

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Timing belt?

sounds like timing, but that doesn't account for no fuel pressure. Did you check with a fuel pressure gauge?

Pull your timing cover back and check to see if your belts broke or loose to begin with.

When you turn the key to the on position do your dash lights turn on?

When the motor cranks over, does it sound different than before the problem?

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
i'm surprised you started replacing parts already and you are not sure of electrical components. have you checked all fuses in engine bay boxes and behind the coin holder? there is a few crucial ones (fusible blocks and alternator fusible link too).

fuel pump takes power from the EFI circuit which powers igniters (so spark plugs as well) also. check the EFI fuse, blue 15A under hood in Main Engine Fuse box on driver side.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
yeah well, at least his car wont need plugs,wires igniter ,new dist. and the fuel pump. hehe . Its probably a blown fuse like fenixus said. Check those first before the timing belt.

If the fuse is blown, replace it and try to start it. If the fuse blows immediately when you try to replace it, you have to trace the wiring to the pump because you have a short somewhere

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I think we should all place bets on what we think it is...

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
I think we should all place bets on what we think it is...

:lol:

Well it could be a combination of things.. Either timing or EFI fuse or relay. If he has no power to dash or anything, could be a bad alternator or battery too :D

When my belt broke on my 93 it just shut right down, but I was getting fuel pressure the entire time.

I guess if I would have read the whole question I would have been a better help

Cancel what I said about timing. Its more than likely a fuse or wiring problem.

Sorry :( *cry

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
also if the EFI fuse is OK, there is a simple procedure for testing the EFI relay per FSM (very easy). requires 2 short jumper wires with aligator clips, so it can be connected to battery terminals and a multimeter.

check camrystuff gen4 SFI manual and look for "EFI relay", i'm pretty sure it's the same one or very similar Toyota used on gen3.

·
importrookie
93 camry
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also if the EFI fuse is OK, there is a simple procedure for testing the EFI relay per FSM (very easy). requires 2 short jumper wires with aligator clips, so it can be connected to battery terminals and a multimeter.

check camrystuff gen4 SFI manual and look for "EFI relay", i'm pretty sure it's the same one or very similar Toyota used on gen3.
Its not the 15amp fuse.I did change the efi main fuse but it was from the junkyard....where do i find this sfi manual?or jus the efu relay.

·
Registered
2000 Solara
252 Posts
i have a 93 toyota camry 5sp w the 2.2lit was running and all of a sudden just died.im not getting spark or fuel.ive changed the plugs,wires igniter ,new dist. and the fuel pump.fuel pump isnt gettin power.havent changed the ecu yet. or maybe its a fuse or relay.my question is what one would shut everything down?thanks in advance
when you turn the key, does it crank at all? The very 1st thing that came to mind was a ground wire. They rust and corrode, and can look fine, but be bad.

Hope that helps, and you have to let us know what it was!

·
Registered
15 Posts
no fuel or spark makes me thing crank angle sensor or timing belt if it happened all of a sudden, do a compression check on the motor this will tell you realy quickly if its timing belt as some cylinders will not have compression if that lets go as some valves will not be closed and will stay that way as the cams wont move. im guessing by the fact you said you have no fuel or spark means it cranks
also try to scan the car for fault codes

·
White Stripes
159 Posts
If you're interested I'm selling my 93 v6 camry for only $900 with no major problems. I'm located in NJ. PM if you're interested.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts