Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Can someone tell me where is the "main seal" for a 1994 Camry V6 Tourning is located ???
I was told by one of the mehanic that in order to replace the "main seal he need to seperate the Automatic Transmission and the Engine...is that true???

It's evidence that there is oil leaking and burning smell when i started the engine, and its located near the A/T.....so i was just wondering how hard does it take to replace it???
BTW he also told me that i should only use Toyota Cooling Fluid and nothing else...if not it will damgage the engine....is that true as well???

Cheers :)

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
The main (rear main) seal is located at the back of the engine as is covered by the transmission. It goes around the crank seat. Easy to change once your there...but getting to it is the tricky bit (remove tranny etc)...while ur there, convert to manual hahah!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
Yep rear main crank seal. have to pull the tranny to get to it. once the tranny is out of the way it is about a ten minute job.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it (main seals) often leak??
I heard the mechanic told me its hardly happen, also how long does it take to get the Tranny out?? he told me it's going to be 1-2 days job, also my water pump is leaking...he advise me to get a new pump instead of putting sealing to cover the leak!

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
IF it is on your 94 then it is very possibleto leak. IT is normally something you see on higher mileage or older cars. The rubber that the seal is made of will eventually start to break down from the oil and cause it to start leaking. Depending on his level of expertise then yes it is going to be at least one day job. To remove the transmission you have to lower the front subframe cradle. THis is the easiest way to do it anyway. Then you ahve to remove the trans mission and replace the seal. then put it all back together. So depending on his experience and available tools then it will probably be at least the better part of one day.

As fr the ater pump, you are better off replacing it anytime it is leaking. while you are doing that you might as well replace the timeing belt and any other front seals that may be leaking. there is a front crank shaft seal that can leak as well as cam seals and oil pump seal. You also have a tensioner pulley and an idler pulley that the bearings can go bad in .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts