Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post!

I have a 99 Camry CE 4cyl. My baby has been shifting a bit late and a tiny bit hard.

I had an A/T flush recently and there were no particles or crap in the fluid and it wasn't even really dark so I don't think it is mechanical. I have thought of a couple things that could be causing it.

1- Bad oxygen sensors
2- Dirty/bad MAF (honestly I have no idea if my car even has a MAF, or maybe it has a MAP instead?)
3- Throttle position sensors needs adjustment
4- The stars just aren't aligned in my favor

This is random but may help. The problem seems worse when my gas tank is near emoty, versus when I am full.

Do you have any ideas about what is causing it? Are the items on my list pure crazy? Anything I am missing?

I REALLY appreciate all your help! Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and one more thing. I have been getting slightly worse gas mileage recently. Maybe that helps.

Thanks again.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
By "A/T flush" do you mean you took it somewhere and had it hooked up to a machine? Did they use the right fluid (Dexron III I believe) and fill it to the correct level? It sure sounds like it's related to the service done to your transmission. The transmission is sensitive to over/underfilling which is why I mention it.

I might be pointing out the obvious, but does your Camry have an ECT Power button located near the shifter? Does "ECT" or "PWR" light up near your gear selection lights on your dash by your speedo? Turning on the PWR option makes your car shift later and rev higher for more power, so it shifts later and a little bit harder. Turning this on by accident could produce the symptoms you are experiencing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been having this issue even before the flush. It hasn't improved or gotten worse since the flush. Today I tried pressing the ECT button on the shifter, the O/D off light came on, and I continued to feel the late and hard shifting.

Do you think this is something mechanical?

I have been doing tons of reading and maybe it is a solenoid that has gone bad?

G

·
I have been having this issue even before the flush. It hasn't improved or gotten worse since the flush. Today I tried pressing the ECT button on the shifter, the O/D off light came on, and I continued to feel the late and hard shifting.

Do you think this is something mechanical?

I have been doing tons of reading and maybe it is a solenoid that has gone bad?
make sure your CEL comes on KOEO. I assume your CEL is not on because you would have told us. I would invest in an inexpensive codereader, <$30. Also if you have an Android phone you can set it up as a very cool reader scanner for $15.........try and catch a pending codes.........other wise I would start bringing up all the maintenance. FYI I am pretty sure you do not have a MAF

·
Registered
12 Posts
not sure if this is part of your issue, but i've been told by a mechanic and a few other people that my transmission could be shifting hard (clunking and able to feel it when it changes gears) because of worn engine mounts.

·
抵抗しても無駄だ
2002 Solara SLE V6
9,091 Posts
gen4 4cylinder doesn't have a MAF meter, only MAP sensor and Intake Air Temp sensor. MAP rarely goes bad even on very much beaten up and old camries. however a vacuum leak in a hose to it can definitely screw it up somewhat.
check all rubber vacuum hoses for cracks on ends or other tears or worn out areas, old rubber gives up at some point.

what is the car mileage?

if above 120k then I would test the TPS, it could be cheating the ECU into thinking you are pressing less on accelerator than you really are, had this problem on V6 recently. new TPS fixed my shifting problem in city driving and also it nulled the problem with engine braking when cruising on highways.

if trans flush didn't change anything, then likely your problem is with either loose (out of adjustment possibly) kick down cable (it affects shifting experience) or some sensor somewhere.

another idea as pointed out above is loose/worn out motor and transmission mounts, maybe the whole thing moves throwing mechanical kick down cable out of adjustment and causing wild jerks while shifting too? does it vibrate bad at idle?

AFR/o2 sensors won't change much per shifting experience, but they can improve MPG, same as minor tune up items do (new spark plugs, new wireset, fresh fuel filter, new air filter, new PCV valve+grommet, etc.).

also check tension on the alternator belt, if it's loose then your car's battery could be running lower voltage, that sometimes screws up some sensitive sensors. usually belts are replaced during minor tune up (or major tune up if you include AFR/o2 sensors, new ECT and TPS too).

good luck.

·
Toyota | moving forward
1,534 Posts
not sure if this is part of your issue, but i've been told by a mechanic and a few other people that my transmission could be shifting hard (clunking and able to feel it when it changes gears) because of worn engine mounts.
I could see it being the engine mounts for shifting hard, but not shifting late. How many miles do you have? My gen 3.5 is on its original mounts at 17 years old BUT it only has 92K miles.

I agree with others that you'll have to look at maintenance done on the car. Might need some work done.

·
Registered
3 Posts
usually on 94 and up A140E and A541E transaxles...when the erratic shifting issues start...including the high RPM 1st and skip over 2nd into 3rd...it's usually either the Valve Body to Case O-Ring and/or the 2nd Coast Brake tube seal OR valve body check balls

I have diagrams if anyone's interested

·
Registered
131 Posts
usually on 94 and up A140E and A541E transaxles...when the erratic shifting issues start...including the high RPM 1st and skip over 2nd into 3rd...it's usually either the Valve Body to Case O-Ring and/or the 2nd Coast Brake tube seal OR valve body check balls

I am interested.

I have that very same problem with my 99 4 cylinder camry. Is that an easy fix? Does the 99 camry have a shift pack solenoid inside the tranny pan and can that cause bad shifting as you described?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey I've got a similar problem with late and harder shifting. I've read a lot and nnow that I've got the repairs I needed to do which were paramount, I'll attempt to fix this now. I'll be replacing an axle which was new but more broken than the old axle! Bastard.

First I will

Check the cable adjustment and try to pull any nonexistent codes

Read some moreabout tthe valve body and attempt to do a valve body dip and gasket rebuild to some level like the one the poster above me mentioned

I'd like this thread to become resolved because this is a pertinent issue clearly

·
Registered
92' Camry XLE
29 Posts

I am having this same issue on my 92' 3.0L Camry. However, it only does it when I have the pedal floored from a dead stop. It also can't decide if it wants to go into D or 3rd gear when I attempt to pass with the pedal to the floor. Could your suggestions be causing this or would it just be a kick down cable adjustment?

G

·
The petrol full / low is probably about a bit more or less weight smoothing the jerk out a bit. I had a rear drive wagon that handled very nicely when full but bounced around when the petrol was low.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You guys have done the basics like a drain and fill of Dex III blended with some lubegard red or a drain and fill with Maxlife dex/merc ATF, right?

·
Registered
34 Posts
You guys have done the basics like a drain and fill of Dex III blended with some lubegard red or a drain and fill with Maxlife dex/merc ATF, right?
I did a drain and fill with Type T4 because Toyota now recommends Type T4 ATF to 96 camrys. It specifically recommends a flush, but I'm not ballsy enough for that. The old fluid has signs of break wear aka the jet-black crap from the pan. Verry little metal wear was observed when the magnets were checked. I'd LOVE to do another drain and fill with the Type T4 while also giving the valve body a full chem-dip cleaning with some new gaskets and restored checkballs, I feel like that's what's causing it. My symptoms are not slippy, it's more of a "D'oh!-late shift!" kind of shift into gear, especially when randomly releasing the accelerator. Could it be something to do with a locking torque converter being sticky? IDK enough about trannies to discern that, but i would be clicking my heels if a valve body cleaning did it up.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Same problem here on a 97 camry, 166K mi. Tried changing fluid and it did not help so dropped the pan and changed the filter...still did not help. If anybody does clean the valve body and installs a new o-ring gasket please let us know if that remidies the problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I've been having the same problem for a while but I ignored it. Now it I have a shift delay from 1 -> 2 gear. Normal temperature, step on the accelerator and it would rev to redline without shifting. When I let go of accelerator it would shift HARD. I replaced the solenoids, didn't help.
I'm interested in those diagrams

·
Registered
322 Posts
How about the transmission kick-down cable? Have you checked that? It's a thin steel cable that connects to the throttle body (it's the lower cable). I noticed on my 98 that over time the cable stretched and got looser and causes the transmission to shift really slow. The opposite is also true and when I went to adjust it, I over-tightened the cable and the transmission started shifting really hard.

·
Registered
Camry LE ('00 & '09)
189 Posts
Did you change your differential fluid as well? I'm not saying that it will necessarily fix your problem, but it couldn't hurt.

Composed on a phone using AutoGuide App.
Please excuse typos / brevity.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts