Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and my friends are thinking up a bit of a wacky project and we're actually going to be making my Camry into a rally car but we cant find a way to realistically make it all wheel dirve. I suggested taking parts from cars that shared its engine and then it wouldnt be super hard to retro fit it on. But then Ghost (thats what we'll call him) pointed out we'd have to find stuff thats of a similar boy size and style to get even decent results and to avoid as much fabrication as possible. The more we avoid the better. we're looking for any suggestions for parts that will be easy to install and require minimum welding. If it can be avoided all together that's even better but we aren't scared of welding on anything.

We're looking for new parts suggestions as well as ones we can find in the scrap yard. I think we can scrap her together and then slowly restore parts and that will be chepaer but i also understand that sometimes you just need to get new parts. We just dont know what will fit.

Also inb4 people say this is a waste of time. I know it is. But we got an intact frame, time to kill, friends with enough skill sets to get it off who will help literally for a 30 rack of beer, and money isnt a huge object as we're looking to really make the car an investment for all of us to just have a great time with in the future.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The 2nd gen camry had the all-trac system which was toyota's version of AWD, there's very few videos of them on youtube from eastern european/russian owners. There's one JDM all-trac owned by a lady but the video was just weird in that it felt very scripted.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,025 Posts
The same era 4WD Celica used almost the same transmission (E154), but with a transfer case where the diff cover was. The problem you'll have is the Celica is a narrower vehicle so you'd have to come up with your own half shafts. Also, the entire rear underbody would have to be swapped so that there'd be places to attach the suspension to (and sectioned in the middle so you can widen it to fit the Camry width).

Or, you can do the "down home 4WD" conversion: simply take a truck frame and put the car of your choice on it:

·
Registered
624 Posts
How serious of a rally car? If you are actually going to race it most clubs have a 2wd class. The spares availability is so high for the Camry that it would be a cheap/ easy race car to maintain. Plus, even with the cage it would be roomy lol.

If you just want to screw around with the all wheel drive conversion I think the biggest challenge is going to be getting the drive shaft high enough into the chassis to not be damaged. What about a hybrid setup where the rear axle is electric?

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
8,374 Posts
$$$$$$$$$$$$

Full customization, ignore what might fit and you make it fit. Do what you need to do to make what you need to fit. That would be the easiest way instead of trying to source parts that might fit. If you gotta engine swap it, swap it. If you gotta fabricate parts for it, do it. Do what needs to be done.

Overall it is a waste of time but I am interested in seeing what you can do.

·
Registered
74 Posts
No matter what its going to take lots of fabrication. I don't think theres an easy swap.
How about parts from RAV4? Isn't the RAV based on Camry? Anything's possible, there'san extensive web series on guys who put a Celica All-Trac drivetrain into an old Mini. But it pretty much entailed ripping apart and building a car around the drivetrain.
What other Toyota cars had AWD? I can think of Tercel/Corolla wagon, the mentioned Celica. Did other markets get some kind of Camry AWD? Of course finding donors of any of these will be hard as they're all pretty rare. Tercel probably wont hold up to any serious rally driving. I rallycross a Corolla FX16 (FWD, but its awesome fun and competitive, esp when you put in a LSD) and have snapped countless driveshafts, even custom high strength ones.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
make it all wheel dirve.... avoid as much fabrication as possible
These two concepts are diametrically opposed. You'll have to pick one or the other, cause AWD is not happening without a solid amount of cutting, welding, fabbing, and fuel cell installation. Celica GT4 donor would be best (strong, rally grade transaxle, diffs), but those parts will cost you 3-4 grand from your favorite JDM importer. Short of that Rav4 and Highlander are your best bet. Rav4 I believe is the smaller Corolla platform while older Highlander is basically a lifted camry wagon.
But, if you want to make it a FWD rally car, I can almost guarantee you will be able to have a good time with the car. I tracked my 99 4cyl for a while and got more out of the car than I expected based on the common notion that these cars supposedly don't handle.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,025 Posts
Here is a complete how to, in 32 1 hour segments, for you: how to install a Celica 4WD drivetrain, and tubocharged engine, and the body they are using is far, far more difficult than a Camry, an Austin Mini. Follow their work, step by step, and you will be all set.

Oh, wait, you said, with minimal fabrication, move on, there's nothing to see here. Either you have the skills to pull something like this off, or your don't, there's no in between (and there is no vehicle you can simply R&R the drivetrain from, into a Camry, because the wide body NA model never got 4WD until just this year).

3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a complete how to, in 32 1 hour segments, for you: how to install a Celica 4WD drivetrain, and tubocharged engine, and the body they are using is far, far more difficult than a Camry, an Austin Mini. Follow their work, step by step, and you will be all set.

Oh, wait, you said, with minimal fabrication, move on, there's nothing to see here. Either you have the skills to pull something like this off, or your don't, there's no in between (and there is no vehicle you can simply R&R the drivetrain from, into a Camry, because the wide body NA model never got 4WD until just this year).
Its more the time its going to consume more than anything else but dude youre the fucking best. The more i read about s series engines tho the more i love them they're awesome little engines

·
Registered
365 Posts
What about the AWD from a Lexus RX300 which has the same engine already so we know the trans will bolt up just fine and there is already electronics for it to work properly?

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,025 Posts
compare the track width of an RX and a Camry, if they are not the same then custom driveshafts might be required

·
Registered
624 Posts
Yeah custom axles are easy big picture wise with this project.

Would love to know more about what group the OP is racing with. Be sure to read the tech rules carefully and don't build something you won't be allowed to race because of some obscure safety rule.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts