Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a problem with my 2001 toyota camry my car will not start it will not crank all i hear is the 1 click i was changing my radiator cause i had a leak and the fan would not work so i connected a wire to the battery to test the fans to see if they work and they work but the when i took the neg battery off to take the wire out and reconnect the neg battery wire the car would not start or crank all i hear is the one click what can be the problem

ok i've changed my starter and i still receive the no start no crank and one click issue

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
i have a problem with my 2001 toyota camry my car will not start it will not crank all i hear is the 1 click i was changing my radiator cause i had a leak and the fan would not work so i connected a wire to the battery to test the fans to see if they work and they work but the when i took the neg battery off to take the wire out and reconnect the neg battery wire the car would not start or crank all i hear is the one click what can be the problem
starter problem

you can hammer starter a few time to to see if it starts

·
Registered
15 Posts
your starter's toast.

might wanna order a new one reall quick. You might get it to work by hammering it, but that's a temporary fix. You'll need a new one soon.

·
Registered
46 Posts
the clicking ur hearing is the solenoid switch activating but the rotor itself isnt spinning...

this can be caused by:

bad ground
slack power wire
low voltage
bad brushes

if u tap the starter a few times (dont be afraid to wack the crap out of the thing) and it works then its more or less ur brushes are low or finished...

if ur brave enough its a simple fix if ur good with a solder gun haha, just buy new brushes and solder them into place...really if i had the time i would do a write up on how its done...its a $5 DIY job so u wont have to get a whole starter...if hitting it works and ur willing to fix it b4 u go out and buy one u can probably pm me and i can run u through some simple steps to fixing it...

·
Registered
582 Posts
do a search on this forum, someone posted rebuild the starter just around 30 bucks.

normally, when you heard a click...the starter contact wore out. do a search on this forum, you can buy repair kit contacts and you can save you $ not buying a new starter.

I did on my 2000 Toyota Camry, it fixed the problem. my problem, I hear a click and try again.. no sound...and kept doing feel more...the car crank again...

·
Registered
46 Posts
starter relay?
try running a direct power from the starter power lead to the battery power lead (use a jumper cable) and try cranking...there has to be a breakdown in your electrical system somewhere...

·
Toyota Collector
11,936 Posts
Also put a socket on the crank pulley and try turning the engine just to make sure the engine does indeed rotate. I doubt it is the starter relay, if it was, then the starter would not make any click, assuming that is where the clicking noise if coming from.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,854 Posts
double check the connections to the battery. even though they can be snug, really wrench on them. i had mine come loosed even though when i pulled on they were tight. if this doesnt work, chase the wires to the starter and ground and make sure they are solid.

do you have a multimeter?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I doubt its anything having to do w/ the cables. If it was, you most like won't have headlights or anything turning on. If it were a battery problem, you'd have been able to start it by jump starting.

Weird that changing the starter didn't do anything. I guess all you can do is give away the $49 for diagnostics at Toyota.

·
mixed bag 'o vehicles
2,854 Posts
I doubt its anything having to do w/ the cables. If it was, you most like won't have headlights or anything turning on. If it were a battery problem, you'd have been able to start it by jump starting.

Weird that changing the starter didn't do anything. I guess all you can do is give away the $49 for diagnostics at Toyota.

i thought the same thing until it happened to me. headlights and everything else dont require much power to work, the starter does. this loose connection also prevented me from jumping the car when i tried.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yup thats so true, the starter wouldnt work if the right amount of current isnt going to it.

try the jumper cable to starter technique i mentioned...

also as someone above stated make sure the engine itself isnt locked up...had this happen to me once and thought it was the starter but after bench testing the starter and running direct wires from battery to starter i realized it is the engine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts