Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Official TN Asshole
85 yota/ 99 audi s4
668 Posts
i have an RV cam in my truck, not that one you're showing us, but diff. company.

they're nice if you're looking for a little more bottom end.

I don't know anything about that one you showed us, but it sounds about right for 100 bucks.

·
Registered
99 Posts
i would go with a better known camshaft for the same $ from engnbldr. i used one of his mid range cams on my old 83 and it really made a difference on my old tired stock engine. it was easier to drive while towing my boat.

·
Registered
99 Posts
that depends, the 261C is a crawler camshaft. for running huge tires and off- roading. i do not know anybody running this cam personally. mostly everybody who has the other 268 camshaft (the one i have used) loves it. the 268 camshaft gives you more low and mid range power up through 4000 rpm or so without losing anything on the bottom end of the powerband. on my carbed 83 4wd i was able to tow my boat around at highway speeds in fifth gear and not shift down for hills where before i was running slow in fourth gear and sometimes had to go down to third gear. i am looking at one of his street/RV heads with the 268 cam for my newest toyota 4wd truck.

·
Registered
1987 Toyota Pickup
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i dont plan on doin any crawling, i just need someting to help me turn these 33's. which one would you recommend for everyday driving with 33's with occaisional playing in the mud, and pulling a trailer periodically? thanks for your help

·
Official TN Asshole
85 yota/ 99 audi s4
668 Posts
i've got the 268 cam, some head/piston work, different carb, offenhauser intake, lc header, borla, and msd ignition..

and running 33's isn't a problem..I havent regeared yet because I'm going to be running bigger tires w/in the year, but the truck runs upwards of 75-80 on flats and still pulls hills, while having some compression loss...

that cam will help a bunch, it will be noticeable..but you might wanna think about the basic bolt ons as well.

·
Benwill1
80's toys
125 Posts
how do you like the offy intake? i had one but never got to use it.
Curious about that intake too...I have 3 differant cams that I run. A Crane 704-0014, Crane 704-0012, and a Schnider custom grind. Crane and TRD are the same cam, Crane grinds them for TRD. The -0012 is a great cam for stock engine with header and carb. The -0014 is a little much for stock compression, but sounds great at idle. The Schnider is in my race truck.

http://www.cranecams.com/?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=5&Vehicle_Type=Sport-Compact&Cylinders=4&Engine_Make=TOYOTA&Year=1985&Engine_Size=2189-2366 C.C.&partNumber=704-0014&partType=camshaft

·
Registered
99 Posts
i had the 390 holley offy intake. are you using the weber? i never could find somebody to properly set up the holley for me so i wound up using a 32/36 weber on the stock intake. i loved it. i went with the engnbldr 268 cam on another truck when i had to replace the head. when i pulled the rockers off i had badly worn cam lobes. between the weber and the cam and a little exhaust work, i had plenty of power and no worries.

·
Benwill1
80's toys
125 Posts
when i pulled the rockers off i had badly worn cam lobes
Most recomend replacing the rocker arms and adjusting tips. I mushroomed a set of tips by reusing them when I changed cams. I have reused rockers, but I lightly sand the pads to roughin them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts