Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my camshaft seal and realized that it was leaking again. I replaced it again thinking that it was a bad seal. I didn't notice any grooves or Nick's on the shaft. If I use a repair sleeve do I need to remove the flange after it is installed or can I leave it on. I cannot see how I can remove it later. Is it possible to install the sleeve while the cam is in the engine or does it need to be removed. Last question is their a double lipped or a different seal that can be used. This was an international seal.

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
I replaced my camshaft seal and realized that it was leaking again. I replaced it again thinking that it was a bad seal. I didn't notice any grooves or Nick's on the shaft. If I use a repair sleeve do I need to remove the flange after it is installed or can I leave it on. I cannot see how I can remove it later. Is it possible to install the sleeve while the cam is in the engine or does it need to be removed. Last question is their a double lipped or a different seal that can be used. This was an international seal.
Which engine are we talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2010 Camry SE V6
3,091 Posts
2000 camry 4 cylinder 2.2
Remind me again, it’s been a while since I’ve worked on one of them. Is it a 2 piece cam seal or one? I remember the one I had, had the distributor block off leaking, and also the half moons leaked too. You might want to try putting a bead of RTV on the outside of the seal before you press it in. I prefer timken seals if using aftermarket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
イリジウム
11,652 Posts
If the camshaft is in good condition you shouldn’t need a repair sleeve. Which brand of seal did you use. Did it come with grease dabs already applied?

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
I know OEM has like this green dried up substance sometimes on the inner lip of the new OEM seal.

I would highly recommend using OEM. the crankshaft one should go in pretty easy. I get it seated right then I use a PCV pipe and the back of the spocket to tap it in place for it to be flushed with the surrounding. I usually put a very light coat of engine lube Sta-Lube 3331 to aid in it sitting right. Once it goes in wrong, it's almost impossible to reseat it without risk of leaking.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
  1. Thank you for the responses. I replaced the seal 2 times with a national seal. Wasn't sure if I messed up the 1st one that I installed. The leak is definitely coming between the shaft and the seal. It's a 1 piece seal and I used oil to install the 1st seal and a very thick grease to install the 2nd. I was not able to see any visible damage to the shaft. I wonder if I should go to toyota and try the manufacturers seal. Its driving me nuts. I just wondered if someone ever tried a tap on style metal sleeve over the shaft and does the flange have to be removed after its installed.

·
イリジウム
11,652 Posts
I use Fel-pro, that and National are both owned by Federal Mogul. So I don’t doubt I was getting National too. No problems ever for me. Some members use only OEM seals.

Lightly grease the seal is good. Make sure the garter spring doesn’t pop out. make sure the sealing surfaces don’t have scratches and that the seal is not installed crooked.

As i’ve told people, If you try aftermarket and have problems then revert to OEM Toyota seals, likely made by NOK. It should come with dabs of grease already applied. If NOK seals still leak then you have other problems. (Most likely scratches)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts