Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Glockaholic...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fluid is dark, thick and nasty. (76000 miles)
Is there a device needed for flushing or just open the system and drain.
Sounds like a messy PITA.
This is the only remaing fluid I have not replaced on this Taco.
Dealer will do it for $99.00.

·
Registered
2002 toyota Tacoma
906 Posts
When I change mine I use a suction tube to pull out all the old fluid from the resivoir. add new run it or jack the front end up start it and turn the wheels back and forth about ten times from end to end. then suck it out again and refill. Now you are ready to go.

That is how I do it. Not messy either with the sucktion tube. about 5 dollars at any auto parts store.

hope this helps
Lance

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do they still take ATF like the older trucks?....or did they do a change to PS fluid?

I should change mine out as I have 77,000 miles also. I figure I'll just disco the return line and stuff it in a milk jug. Start it and add fluid to the res as it goes down.

·
Registered
435 Posts
If you want to get all of it out.Just take one of the lines at the rack off with a pan under it. Then refill with synthetic power steering fluid.It dosent hold much.Way cheaper than a pump or rack.I wouldnt start it while the line is loose you will get 99% of it out.It wouldnt take much to run it dry.Not a good move.To bleed it just jack up the front end and with the wheels off the ground and jack stands under it.Turn the wheel lock to lock until you dont here the noise any more.Then top it off.

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
Pull a line at the rack as stated above, but don't refill it with PS fluid use Dexron III ATF.

·
Glockaholic...
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I considered using a turkey baster and remove replenish,
start and repeat till the fluid runs clear. Thanks for the resonses guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Could old/bad power steering fluid be causing my Rack and Pinion to squeak? Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but I got to thinking, I can't recall ever changin the fluid in mine...Other than changing out the rack and pinion w/ used assy. What happens if it's not ever changed?

·
Offical TN Hillbilly
2002 Silverado
1,757 Posts
12guns said:
Could old/bad power steering fluid be causing my Rack and Pinion to squeak? Not meaning to hi-jack the thread, but I got to thinking, I can't recall ever changin the fluid in mine...Other than changing out the rack and pinion w/ used assy. What happens if it's not ever changed?
The squeak could be the bushings.

Bad fluid causes steering effort to increase. You need to turn the wheel harder. Eventually the pump will clog and give out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts