Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 Highlander 3.3L V6

Im going to change the tranny fluid and filter this coming weekend and want to flush all the old out as well.

Can anyone confirm by looking at my pics that this is the return line?

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Didnt get a answer to this so I went forward with the project today, but just in case anyone is looking for this information in the future, this IS the correct line to pull if your wanting to flush your entire system

·
Registered
2010 Camry XLE
31 Posts
Thanks, MOmilkman, I was wondering that myself!

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
658 Posts
2003 V6 AWD 342k miles, original Owner.

Mom,
Uum, you did not tell us the answer to your own question. Is it the cooler feed line from the transmission or the cooler discharge back to the transmission? Haya....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry. Yes. This is the cooler feed line from the tranny pushing the fluid toward the cooler.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How many miles on your truck OP? Is this routine maintenance or first flush?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Highlander
658 Posts
Thanks Mom. That is helpful if I ever want to drain the trans fluid using that line.
BTW-several years ago I had the Toyota tech manager come get me from the waiting room while having the oil changed. He had a worried look on his face. Transmission fluid had spurted out all over the place under the car. I took a look for myself as the car was up on the rack. It was leaking pretty badly at the line you show in your pics. The kid working the car said "hey man, don't worry I just put a transmission cooler in another Highlander a few days ago, should be just $550 or so."
(To myself I thought: Ya, right-just $550, wadda ya gonna do put in a gold plated cooler?)
I thanked him kindly and asked that he top up the trans fluid as I would drive it home and fix it myself. He did. I did.
Come to find out the leak was at that 90 deg. elbow, it was in the metal tubing itself not the cooler. There was a tiny crack running across the line. (Musta clipped a curb or something.) I simply loosened the hose clamp and pushed the hose on about 3/4 inch farther onto the metal tube and re tightened the clamp, Fixed. Cost $0, savings $550. Cheapest DIY ever. That was 8-9 years ago.
Thanks again, Haya....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How many miles on your truck OP? Is this routine maintenance or first flush?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
i have 165,000 on the car. First change.
It says in the manual that you don’t need to change it under normal driving conditions but I wanted to know how much metal might be on the magnets in the drain pan and change the filter. It was shifting very erratically before the change. Now it’s much smoother.
mom guessing the filter was pretty clogged.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Mom. That is helpful if I ever want to drain the trans fluid using that line.
BTW-several years ago I had the Toyota tech manager come get me from the waiting room while having the oil changed. He had a worried look on his face. Transmission fluid had spurted out all over the place under the car. I took a look for myself as the car was up on the rack. It was leaking pretty badly at the line you shown in your pics. The kid working the car said "hey man, don't worry I just put a transmission cooler in another Highlander a few days ago, should be just $550 or so."
(To myself I thought: Ya, right-just $550, wadda ya gonna do put in a gold plated cooler?)
I thanked him kindly and asked that he top up the trans fluid as I would drive it home and fix it myself. He did. I did.
Come to find out the leak was at that 90 deg. elbow, it was in the metal tubing itself not the cooler. There was a tiny crack running across the line. (Musta clipped a curb or something.) I simply loosened the hose clamp and pushed the hose on about 3/4 inch farther onto the metal tube and re tightened the clamp, Fixed. Cost $0, savings $550. Cheapest DIY ever. That was 8-9 years ago.
Thanks again, Haya....
Haha! Perfect fix! Nice work!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts