Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today i turn on the car, i have a 91 camry 3sfe engine. when i step on the gas pedal a little the charge battery and rear back light; lights up at the same time... when i let off the gas the lights would flicker and die... any clue to what is causing this problem... i've have already check the alternator and battery and those are working fine.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
If the problem is intermitant, I would say to recheck the alternator and the alternator belt for proper tension. If it's not a loose belt, the brushes may be worn down and near their lives end, causing what you see on the dash. Use a DVM to check both the battery and alternator. With the engine off, battery voltage should be around 12.25 volts With the engine running the reading should be 14.0 - 14.6 volts. If you are getting battery voltage when the engine is running, the alternator needs to be replaced or rebuilt. It's an easy DIY job on the 3SFE engine. Just remember to disconnect the negative battery cable before starting. Personally, I prefer to have alternators and starters rebuilt by an automotive electric shop, rather than get an off the shelf rebuild at an auto parts store. I think you get a beter quality rebuild at one of these shops when compared to the off the shelf rebuilds IMHO.

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts