Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Toyota Camry LE 5 Speed
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad asked me to junk our old 2003 Camry, the thing is, I also own one. I want to salvage the doors from his and put it on mine, but the locks are different. Is there a way to swap the cylinders or am I just going to have to run with 2 keys on my keychain now? I couldn't find specifics for this model so I'm asking here. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
1,171 Posts
The door handle is in two separate pieces. The handle and the key lock. You will need to remove the two Torx screws to remove the entire assembly then separate the key lock from the handle. The truck should be simple as you will just remove the lock cylinder and replace it with yours. there are several videos on youtube on replacing the door handle.

Don't you have keyless entry in your car?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The door handle is in two separate pieces. The handle and the key lock. You will need to remove the two Torx screws to remove the entire assembly then separate the key lock from the handle. The truck should be simple as you will just remove the lock cylinder and replace it with yours. there are several videos on youtube on replacing the door handle.

Don't you have keyless entry in your car?
Ah alright, thanks. I couldn't find one on the Camry, but I found one for a Highlander and I saw the access point to the door lock cylinder on the side of the door, which my Camry also has. And yeah, my car has keyless entry, but I dont want to be locked out with no possibility of using the key if my car dies or if I lock the keys in the car. Thanks for the insight though.

·
Registered
06 Toyota Camry XLE, 16 Corolla S
1,171 Posts
Ah alright, thanks. I couldn't find one on the Camry, but I found one for a Highlander and I saw the access point to the door lock cylinder on the side of the door, which my Camry also has. And yeah, my car has keyless entry, but I dont want to be locked out with no possibility of using the key if my car dies or if I lock the keys in the car. Thanks for the insight though.
I would be surprised if your original key will still lock/unlock the car. The battery in the fob died and tried to open with the key. No, Go!! Tried to use my spare and it opened the car right up. Found out the original after being used so long was just wore down enough on the tip to not unlock the door. This was on my 06 and happened in 2017.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would be surprised if your original key will still lock/unlock the car. The battery in the fob died and tried to open with the key. No, Go!! Tried to use my spare and it opened the car right up. Found out the original after being used so long was just wore down enough on the tip to not unlock the door. This was on my 06 and happened in 2017.
Haha actually I remember when I got a key cut for my Camry, it was hard to unlock the door and start the car at first. I thought maybe the place that did it did a shotty job, but it looked fine to me. My key is kinda worn, so the cut key was more probably even more imperfect than the original. It still works, just not as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.