Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, i'm not new to the site, but am new to this Avalon forum. Have had my car about a month. 2004 XLS in Phantom Gray with bench seat. Car only has 82k and one documented owner. Everything is in great shape, with the exception of that rear sub woofer. I'm sure at some point I will have the time and desire to get it fixed, but right now in the middle of a Colorado winter, I really don't feel like going out and taking whole back seat/package shelf assemblies apart in it 'till the weather gets warmer. I'm wondering if I can just disconnect the thing from inside the trunk for the time being, just to get it to shut up. The other six speakers sound amazing and give me rich enough sound that I can live with in the meantime until I get the sound upgraded. I just want that infernal rattling to stop for now. It's getting pretty annoying. Everything else is amazing though. I really love this car. In a lot of ways, even a big step up from my Camry XLE V6 I had. I just don't want to hear that rattling.

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
162 Posts
You can unplug it from the top, the plug is under the 3rd brake light, speaker grille assembly. I did the refoam, not bad to do. You could remove the speaker and do it indoors. Unplugging it is pretty simple, it does involve removing the grille, easy enough.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the info. I haven't really looked at it close. I just kinda wanted to know where to start from. I am interested in doing the refoam. How did it turn out for you after you did that?

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
162 Posts
I was very skeptical about the refoam, I just didn’t think it would turn out right and I would have wasted 20 bucks on it, I was very glad I did it, the moderator BMR recommended it strongly, mine was probably unfoamed for a few years and the foam replacement restored the full functionality of the speaker. If you’ve got a little patience and time it’s doable. Watch the YouTube videos of the replacement, they specially list the Toyota Avalon jbl system as one of the repairs. You could probably pull the speaker and use some tape to hold the 3rd brake light in place a few days while you refoam it, I did mine in June in Florida, believe me I didn’t want to spend too much time in the car either, lol. I’m from Rochester, NY originally so I’m very familiar with the cold, I also spent some years in KS while in the Army, so I can appreciate the difficulties the different temperature extremes are to work in. They sell the kits in the videos on Amazon as well, they deliver faster. I’ll post a pic of the kit I bought.

Frank

·
Registered
2000 Avalon
162 Posts

Here is the Crutchfield speaker that many Avalon owners have reviewed on Crutchfield’s site as a good repair option as well, if you’re too queasy about the refoam.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you very much for the info. I think both options are decent. I can probably do the refoam, Ill just need to study up on it a bit more and have the time to really sit and be patient with it. The replacement is a decent price though I think. I think the JBL system is a pretty good system, even with the age of these cars now. I still use an Ipod classic. I find that with the fm frequency adapter the sound isn't too shabby. Could hardly hear anything trying to use a cassette adapter. I miss my USB port in the radio, but honestly this is a pretty decent system for stock. I thank you for the valuable information. I can get something figured out enough to get the rattling to quiet down and weigh additional options from there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts