Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1983 Celica GT is the car in question.

The power steering leaks, and I am just making a straight line car anyways, so can I just take the pump and resevoir off and crimp the lines?

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha well my 2 other cars don't have it, so that should be no problem! Unless a power steering car with no pump is a lot harder to steer than a car that never had it in the first place!

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
^thats the ticket

You can take it off, but without it, it will be hard as crap to drive. Cars with power steering when the power is removed, it becomes really hard to drive, your fighting the gearing then i believe.

·
omg jdm
2,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, all I'm doing with the car is going in a straight line at the track, so except for the ride up there it's not a driver.

·
Cumberland Reprezent'
46 Posts
Tommy said:
^thats the ticket

You can take it off, but without it, it will be hard as crap to drive. Cars with power steering when the power is removed, it becomes really hard to drive, your fighting the gearing then i believe.
You are fighting against more moving parts, but, the ratio in a power steering rack and pinion or steering box is different than a non power one. Thats what makes it harder.

·
Dave's
1,946 Posts
Moving you might find it acceptable. Turning at slow or no speed can be really really tough. Probably depends on the car but that's my experiance. You may be able to remove the belt briefly just to try it out.

·
Alltrack Wannabe
639 Posts
You will be fine.
I currently have no belt on my Alltrac, which weighs at least as much as your 83, more of the weight is on the front wheels, and has much wider tires in the front.
Also, I still have the system full of fluid, which makes it harder.
It is a bit hard stopped. Other than that not much different.
You will be fine.

·
Registered
271 Posts
If you wanna know how hard it will be to turn. Turn off the eingine and coast in neutral. That will be an exact expierence driving with a removed power steering.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if the fluid is removed from the system it will be much easier to turn than coasting in neatral as you are only turning the gears and not sqashing fluid throgh the system. The steering will be heavy as the turns lock 2 lock is about 3/4 to 1 turn less than a rack with out power

1 - 14 of 14 Posts