Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw some facebook posts about using the Carista app along with the OBD adapter to disable the torque control, thus improving the throttle response and takeoff. Figured I'd come over here for the definitive answer. Does this work? Seems like an easy fix but I wanted to verify. Apologies if this was posted before, I searched and didn't see anything. Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
6,330 Posts
🤷‍♀️ Throttle lag is throttle lag, other than somehow creating a mechanical linkage the the throttle lag is gonna be there. The real question is what does Torque Control do? I would have to look at Toyota TIS to find out what it is but I am not subscribed at the moment. It's your call if you want to try it, the other route is throttle controller's. Whether or not it can cause issues down the road is another thing to think about since it is ON for a reason...

·
Registered
453 Posts
🤷‍♀️ Throttle lag is throttle lag, other than somehow creating a mechanical linkage the the throttle lag is gonna be there. The real question is what does Torque Control do? I would have to look at Toyota TIS to find out what it is but I am not subscribed at the moment. It's your call if you want to try it, the other route is throttle controller's. Whether or not it can cause issues down the road is another thing to think about since it is ON for a reason...
A few of us on FB just discovered Carista as a poor man's version of Techstream. It's $20 for the OBD dongle and $40/year (or $10/week) for the full app features. The full app is also free for 30 days when you buy the dongle. It lets you change many of the things you can change with Techstream, like enabling remote window down using the key fob. The dongle only needs to be plugged in while making changes.

Anyway, this setting can be accessed by either Techstream or Carista. It is enabled by default. Here's the text:
"Decrease body pitch and bounce by controlling torque (turn this off for aftermarket suspension)"

A few of us have disabled this function and noticed smoother, swifter acceleration (especially at low speeds or from a stop) with both the I4 and V6. Our theory is that this function is limiting power to the engine to allow the stock suspension to provide a flatter, smoother ride while accelerating.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, yes this is what I was referring to. Lol, I must have somehow seen it in your group. Honestly, for that cheap I'm willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
A few of us on FB just discovered Carista as a poor man's version of Techstream. It's $20 for the OBD dongle, $40/year or $10/week for the full app features. The full app is also free for 30 days when you buy the dongle. It lets you change many of the things you can change with Techstream, like enabling remote window down using the key fob. The dongle only needs to be plugged in while making changes.

Anyway, this setting can be accessed by either Techstream or Carista. It is enabled by default. Here's the text:
"Decrease body pitch and bounce by controlling torque (turn this off for aftermarket suspension)"

A few of us have disabled this function and noticed smoother, swifter acceleration (especially at low speeds or from a stop) with both the I4 and V6. Our theory is that this function is limiting power to the engine to allow the stock suspension to provide a flatter, smoother ride while accelerating.
I've used Carista before and am not fond of it, mostly because I want to buy an item and have full usage instead of buying an item and paying a subscription. I also remember Carista asking me to pay to read a code and I rather not have that either. It IS useful for changing certain settings as long as those settings are available. Given I drive a Base 2008 Toyota Camry, the only few options I have included but is not limited to:
  • Changing when the seat belt chime rings
  • Changing the AUTO sensitivity
  • Changing when the interior lights turn off
I'm currently using OBDLINK LX & OBDLINK App and I like it overall. I do have to pay an extra $10 for full access for my particular Camry but it is a one time payment. This access as far as I have found can read all codes and read all ECU components. The OBDLINK MX or MX+ has it for all vehicles. It reads just about all of the same parameters as a Techstream so I am plenty happy with that. I have access to a Techstream should I ever need to do anything else.

·
2018 Camry XSE V6
2,104 Posts
I believe it only affects hybrid cars.

"The system has four benefits: improved ride comfort and handling, smooth turning and excellent responsiveness from the HV motor system while using existing components of the hybrid system."

"The system uses the electric motor torque to apply small trim forces to counteract the direction in which the vehicle is naturally 'pitching' (lifting and diving) or 'bouncing'."

·
Registered
453 Posts
I believe it only affects hybrid cars.

"The system has four benefits: improved ride comfort and handling, smooth turning and excellent responsiveness from the HV motor system while using existing components of the hybrid system."

"The system uses the electric motor torque to apply small trim forces to counteract the direction in which the vehicle is naturally 'pitching' (lifting and diving) or 'bouncing'."
It could be placebo effect for me, but it feels better. I'm going to try to get some hard data this weekend using an accelerometer app on my phone. I'm fine with being wrong, this was basically free for me since I bought the dongle to enable remote window down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I believe Toyota also calls it the Pitch & Bounce Control system.
It was first introduced with hybrid drivetrains (Prius), but it looks like Toyota found a way to make it work with regular drivetrains.

This is from the Hilux press material (2016):

The all-new Hilux is equipped with Toyota’s Pitch & Bounce Control system. By automatically adjusting engine torque in direct response to road surface conditions, the system is able to reduce the pitching motion of the body, improving ride comfort and handling.

Pitch & Bounce Control uses wheel speed sensor information to establish when the nose of the vehicle is either lifted or lowered by road surface undulations. When the nose is lifted, this causes the heads of vehicle occupants to tilt backwards. The system momentarily reduces engine torque to compensate, reducing occupant head movement. When the vehicle nose dips, occupants’ heads are tilted forwards, and the system adds torque to compensate in a similar manner.

Though system adjustment of engine torque is measured in extremely small quantities, it has a noticeable effect on ride and handling. Ride comfort is improved through the perception of a flatter ride due to reduced body movement. And steering feel around the centre line is improved through better ground holding of the tyres.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I've used Carista before and am not fond of it, mostly because I want to buy an item and have full usage instead of buying an item and paying a subscription. I also remember Carista asking me to pay to read a code and I rather not have that either. It IS useful for changing certain settings as long as those settings are available. Given I drive a Base 2008 Toyota Camry, the only few options I have included but is not limited to:
  • Changing when the seat belt chime rings
  • Changing the AUTO sensitivity
  • Changing when the interior lights turn off
I'm currently using OBDLINK LX & OBDLINK App and I like it overall. I do have to pay an extra $10 for full access for my particular Camry but it is a one time payment. This access as far as I have found can read all codes and read all ECU components. The OBDLINK MX or MX+ has it for all vehicles. It reads just about all of the same parameters as a Techstream so I am plenty happy with that. I have access to a Techstream should I ever need to do anything else.
Do you mind sharing the parameters/live data? Like screenshots. I am very interested if it has data like the techstream does...

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Do you mind sharing the parameters/live data? Like screenshots. I am very interested if it has data like the techstream does...
PMing you now, hold tight.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting. Okay so what's the best option to disable the body control with torque demand? I read on a separate thread that someone believes that techstream doesn't allow modification of that torque control on the 2018 SE model. I only want to change that feature before I take it to the dealer (if needed) to hopefully fix (or slightly fix) the acceleration lag.

If Carista is the best option, what do I do...just buy this and download the app, plug it in (I assume under the steering wheel?) and turn it to "off"?

·
Registered
453 Posts
If Carista is the best option, what do I do...just buy this and download the app, plug it in (I assume under the steering wheel?) and turn it to "off"?
Buy the dongle (damn it's only $14 right now), download the app, activate 30-day free trial, plug dongle into OBD port, go to Customize, change setting.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just bought the dongle. Super easy to install and change out the selections. Of course, immediately made my way to the torque setting. Turned it off, and taking a 4 hour thanksgiving drive. Will give my feedback after we return.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Just bought the dongle. Super easy to install and change out the selections. Of course, immediately made my way to the torque setting. Turned it off, and taking a 4 hour thanksgiving drive. Will give my feedback after we return.
I’m interested in that feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Please let us know, if it can show data for the transmission fluid temperature. Also if it can turn off the seat belt chime.

If you can take screenshots even better.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,330 Posts
Please let us know, if it can show data for the transmission fluid temperature. Also if it can turn off the seat belt chime.

Thanks
ATF Temperature should be visible assuming it is reading the same Networks as an TechStream. Otherwise an OBDLink can read it (on my 08 Camry).

·
Registered
453 Posts

Thanks
I don’t see ATF temp in there anywhere. Driver and passenger seat belt chimes can both be disabled.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ATF Temperature should be visible assuming it is reading the same Networks as an TechStream. Otherwise an OBDLink can read it (on my 08 Camry).
The Carista is a cheaper option, hence I more inclined to it.

The OBD X Link is more of live data. Does it have customizations to turn off options such as Seat belt chimes?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts