Toyota Nation Forum banner

Can I use Carista to help with acceleration issues?

18K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  Ville80 
#1 ·
Saw some facebook posts about using the Carista app along with the OBD adapter to disable the torque control, thus improving the throttle response and takeoff. Figured I'd come over here for the definitive answer. Does this work? Seems like an easy fix but I wanted to verify. Apologies if this was posted before, I searched and didn't see anything. Thanks for any input!

#2 ·
?‍♀ Throttle lag is throttle lag, other than somehow creating a mechanical linkage the the throttle lag is gonna be there. The real question is what does Torque Control do? I would have to look at Toyota TIS to find out what it is but I am not subscribed at the moment. It's your call if you want to try it, the other route is throttle controller's. Whether or not it can cause issues down the road is another thing to think about since it is ON for a reason...

#3 · (Edited)
A few of us on FB just discovered Carista as a poor man's version of Techstream. It's $20 for the OBD dongle and $40/year (or $10/week) for the full app features. The full app is also free for 30 days when you buy the dongle. It lets you change many of the things you can change with Techstream, like enabling remote window down using the key fob. The dongle only needs to be plugged in while making changes.

Anyway, this setting can be accessed by either Techstream or Carista. It is enabled by default. Here's the text:
"Decrease body pitch and bounce by controlling torque (turn this off for aftermarket suspension)"

A few of us have disabled this function and noticed smoother, swifter acceleration (especially at low speeds or from a stop) with both the I4 and V6. Our theory is that this function is limiting power to the engine to allow the stock suspension to provide a flatter, smoother ride while accelerating.

#7 ·
I believe it only affects hybrid cars.

"The system has four benefits: improved ride comfort and handling, smooth turning and excellent responsiveness from the HV motor system while using existing components of the hybrid system."

"The system uses the electric motor torque to apply small trim forces to counteract the direction in which the vehicle is naturally 'pitching' (lifting and diving) or 'bouncing'."

#8 ·
It could be placebo effect for me, but it feels better. I'm going to try to get some hard data this weekend using an accelerometer app on my phone. I'm fine with being wrong, this was basically free for me since I bought the dongle to enable remote window down.

#9 ·
I believe Toyota also calls it the Pitch & Bounce Control system.
It was first introduced with hybrid drivetrains (Prius), but it looks like Toyota found a way to make it work with regular drivetrains.

This is from the Hilux press material (2016):

The all-new Hilux is equipped with Toyota’s Pitch & Bounce Control system. By automatically adjusting engine torque in direct response to road surface conditions, the system is able to reduce the pitching motion of the body, improving ride comfort and handling.

Pitch & Bounce Control uses wheel speed sensor information to establish when the nose of the vehicle is either lifted or lowered by road surface undulations. When the nose is lifted, this causes the heads of vehicle occupants to tilt backwards. The system momentarily reduces engine torque to compensate, reducing occupant head movement. When the vehicle nose dips, occupants’ heads are tilted forwards, and the system adds torque to compensate in a similar manner.

Though system adjustment of engine torque is measured in extremely small quantities, it has a noticeable effect on ride and handling. Ride comfort is improved through the perception of a flatter ride due to reduced body movement. And steering feel around the centre line is improved through better ground holding of the tyres.

#12 ·
Interesting. Okay so what's the best option to disable the body control with torque demand? I read on a separate thread that someone believes that techstream doesn't allow modification of that torque control on the 2018 SE model. I only want to change that feature before I take it to the dealer (if needed) to hopefully fix (or slightly fix) the acceleration lag.

If Carista is the best option, what do I do...just buy this and download the app, plug it in (I assume under the steering wheel?) and turn it to "off"?

#13 ·
If Carista is the best option, what do I do...just buy this and download the app, plug it in (I assume under the steering wheel?) and turn it to "off"?
Buy the dongle (damn it's only $14 right now), download the app, activate 30-day free trial, plug dongle into OBD port, go to Customize, change setting.

#26 ·
So this is the biggest thing I noticed. Off the line/slow roll acceleration is much improved. Now, the transmission is still what it is, and merging onto an interstate and trying to punch it doesn't yield favorable results. You're quickly reminded that your still in a Camry. But driving around the city and in normal conditions, I don't really feel any of the lag anymore. One exception might be making a turn onto a steep uphill road, but in general after 8 hours of normal driving (btw, earned 39.8 mpg for the total trip, 80% highway, 20% city, pretty siked to see that!) I can safely say the $20 purchase was well worth it.

#27 · (Edited)
This matches my experience pretty closely (SE I4). I can't say that the car is faster, but the first 20% of throttle feels much better and the car feels quicker as a result. It eliminated any desire I had for a PC or other throttle controller.

Forcing a downshift at 40-50mph feels about the same, maybe a hair quicker since the throttle might be reacting faster, but you're still at the mercy of the transmission.

#31 ·
I am 2014 camry owner also had same complain after acceleration delay due to drive by wire. I bought apexi accelerator controller and made a huge difference. now I can't live without it
Font Technology Logo Brand

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Here’s my review: I did almost a hundred kms with the feature off after using Carista to change it. The effect, if any, is barely noticeable and is borderline placebo induced. My verdict is NO CHANGE. Just the same turd...

Now, Carista enabled me to get the windows-down-from-keyfob and to remove the beeping warning for the passenger front seatbelt. It paid for itself just for those settings only!

#38 ·
BTW, if you get Carsita and install Torque, OBD Fusion, and ETC... You can read live data.

On Toyota/Lexus, there are times when you plug in the OBD 2 port, it will trigger the ABS & Traction Control lights on and the ABS lights will flicker like crazy. After removing the dongle out of the OBD 2 port, the ABS lights stays on.
And in order to turn the ABS light off, you need to do a Zero Point Calibration.

Wonder if the Carista have this option? And has this every happened to anyone yet?

#55 ·
I am happy to say, I am Glad, I bought Carista. After turning off the body torque control, I immediately felt improvment at low throttle speeds. It does not shift harshly nor the undecided shifts. On the freeway, the steering wheel becomes stiffer (feels like sports mode), and feels like the vehicle tracks straight much easier. I actually love to drive the car now. It does not have a mind of its own anymore.

However, I am disappointed that I cannot turn off the rear sealbelt dinger. You can only turn it off for the fronts. I have the 2019 XSE. Are you guys able to turn off the rear seatbelt dinger?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.