Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need Help!

My 2004 Camry LE non-folding mirror got clipped in traffic and I heard a loud crack. The glass is okay, the electrical is okay. It looks like something is either broken or unseated between the mirror housing and the mounting bracket, so that the housing is loose and can be jiggled front and back about 1/2 inch. There's also a gap between the mirror housing and the mounting bracket. Can this be repaired or do I have to replace the whole mirror?

Picture: Broken mirror

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
I would say just leave it unless it's making rattle/wind noise when you travel in high speeds. The mirror is plastic so it won't rust.

Mirrors are expensive (You can only buy the whole mirror) to replace unless you can find a used one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I've been googling all day on and off and have come to pretty much the same conclusion.

I am concerned about water getting in through the gap and shorting out the mirror motor. I guess I'll deal with that when it happens. Or maybe I can seal it up somehow...?

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
pretty sure it doesn't get shorted that easily.. i rememeber all the times i blasted water into the side mirrors when i wash my car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Change of plans...

Hubby took the mirror apart. It's only attached at one post so he wants a new mirror. Our 2004 Camry is built in Japan for the US market. I understand therefore it uses a different mirror than the US-made Camrys?

Also, are there body-colored folding mirrors that I can use as replacement instead of getting another non-folding one?

Thanks for your patience and help!

·
There is no substitute.
8,027 Posts
Re: Change of plans...

leadfoot2004 said:
Our 2004 Camry is built in Japan for the US market. I understand therefore it uses a different mirror than the US-made Camrys?
I don't think they should be any different. You should go to the dealership and ask if you're still in doubt.

Folding mirrors are available in Japan but it's more complicated than a simple plug and play, not to mention if you can even find a set in Belgium.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Change of plans...

EKam said:
Folding mirrors are available in Japan but it's more complicated than a simple plug and play, not to mention if you can even find a set in Belgium.
What about the folding mirror on the XLE? Can I use one of those? I think the XLE mirrors are heated as well, so possibly the wiring plug is incompatible?

Any aftermarket folding mirror for the Camry LE? I tried googling but just not finding anything even close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts