Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, I'm thinking about moving from Virginia to Utah. Thats like 2200 miles. I have a 1990 little basic Yoyta Pickup. Its a 4 speed tranny. 2 questions.

1. Can I install a tow hitch/hidden hitch on it? It has no rear bumper.

2. Can I pull a small Uhaul trailor with my bed and a few other things in it (so not that much weight) from Virginia to Utah (about 2200 miles) with my little truck?

ok # 3. Do yall have any other advice about this trip I want to make with my truck?

·
rookie
796 Posts
The hitch- yes, they can weld it to the frame.
The drive- sure, no problem, take it easy and make sure your brakes are up to it. I would suggest using higher octane fuel.
Im moving to Wisconsin in August and will be doing the same thing except for I will have my dresser, bed, all my tools, and everything I own in the truck, It's gonna be one heavy mudda.
I would definately change the oil before you go. keep tabs on tire pressure , even bump it to 35psi for the trip. What part of Utah are you moving to? Im from Utah and im actually going out to visit Va for a week in august.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Chesapeake, VA its like 30 minutes from Virginia Beach. I'm moving to Murray Utah. I wont have a lot of stuff in my trailor but I will have like my bed room stuff. Bed, Desk, Dresser, Tv, Cloths, etc. I thought about getting a camper shell for it to but I dont think I will need to put anything in the back of the truck, if I have a trailor.

Awesome, thats good news. I thought about buying a Uhaul hitch because they can put it on for ya. I thought it bolted to the frame? Do they weld it too?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah. Awesome. I'll use higher octane fuel? but why, does it give it more power or something? The brakes are fine, and I'll have the oil changed. Man, Im excited. I can't wait to take on this drive. Ive never been out of Virginia with the exception of DC and North Carolina, but I dont count that as going anywhere.

·
rookie
796 Posts
higher octane because the stress and heat might cause the fuel to pre-ignite, if you have a knock sensor then it will dial back the timing and you wont have as much power for towing. without a knock sensor you risk piston damage if it pre-ignites. with higher octane fuel the engine can run at its peak if you are running it hot/hard enough to preignite the typical fuel you use.

What brings you to Murray? I was born in Murray but have lived and moved 5 times within Sandy, just a mile or two southeast of Murray. cool beans

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
oh my heck. what the heck. why the heck are there so much to know about engines that the average joe has no idea about. so i risk ruining my engine during this little trip?

Utah. hmmm. A girl. BYU. and prolly a few other things.

·
A legend in his own mind.
232 Posts
ahh yes the adventures we go on for girls hahaha ......for somereason i just thought of pepe le peu

·
Banned
'95 Toyota 4x4 xcab
1,110 Posts
Change the oil and make sure all the other fluids are clean and topped off and take your time and you'll be fine. Just because the speed limit may be 70 where you'll be driving doesn't mean you have to go that fast. Just take it easy and don't stress the truck and it should be ok.

If you run cheap gas in it now with no problems I really wouldn't change for the trip. That's a good way to put the engine in shock. If your engine doesn't ping on lower octane gas there's no benefit to running high test. If you hear it pinging after a few tanks on the road then you can buy higher grade, but if not there is no benefit to running premium in one of these engines.

Personally, I wouldn't try to make this trip in my 95 but your truck may run better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well she isnt the only reason. i want to get away from my family. they are driving me up the wall. im just glad my little yota will get me where im going. higher octane fuel just makes me add more money to my fuel budget lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ovrrdrive said:
Change the oil and make sure all the other fluids are clean and topped off and take your time and you'll be fine. Just because the speed limit may be 70 where you'll be driving doesn't mean you have to go that fast. Just take it easy and don't stress the truck and it should be ok.

If you run cheap gas in it now with no problems I really wouldn't change for the trip. That's a good way to put the engine in shock. If your engine doesn't ping on lower octane gas there's no benefit to running high test. If you hear it pinging after a few tanks on the road then you can buy higher grade, but if not there is no benefit to running premium in one of these engines.

Personally, I wouldn't try to make this trip in my 95 but your truck may run better.
are you saying these trucks can ping and it can be corrected by higher octane fuel? if its pinging does that mean there is damage? im sure my truck will make it, and i dont plan to abuse my truck. most people make this trip in 2 1/2 days, im prolly going to make it in about 3 to 4.

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
Pinging is not good for the engine and to some degree it can be corrected with higher octane fuel. Ignition timing EGR problems and carbon build up are likely causes, as well as higher than normal operating temperature.

You should certainly have the timing set and check the valve clearances. If you have too small of valve clearances your valves will run hotter than normal and a continous load condition like your trip could cause you to burn a valve.

Throw about 400-500lbs of stuff in the back and take it on a good test drive like up to richmond and back to see how it behaves. Watch the engine temperature and listen for pinging. If there is a problem you can get it corrected before you leave.

You may not know it but the truck you have was designed as about the most reliable vehicle on the planet. if there are no outstanding mechanical issues, you should be able to drive it to the end of the earth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a topper i took off of my 91 toyota if you wanna buy it off of me, its gray (paint isnt so perfect), snug top, its in really good shape too. I'm in Virginia Beach if you're interested.

·
Banned
443 Posts
I towed a 6x12 enclosed 800 miles it was fully loaded. You won't beat any speed records but you should do fine.

As with any long trip, take extra stuff... spare belts, fluids, etc. Check your hoses, thermostat, etc. When checking fluids, don't forget the rear diff!

·
Registered
'00 XLS, '05 XLS
372 Posts
are you planning to go soon? have you plotted your trip? there are some routes you wouldnt want to take this time of the year unless your used to driving on snow and ice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts