Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone, I've got an emissions part making quite a racket lately. It pumps air into the exhaust so the cat can get O2 while getting up to temperature. I'm told this is a California emissions vehicle.

It's supposed to run while cold. The vehicle is a 2006 Tacoma 2.7l 4x4. I've NEVER heard this noise even while living in colder climates (freezing). I've uploaded a video to youtube and an image.

There seems to be two components to this part. The blower motor and the fan itself. I'm not sure if it's sold separately or a whole set.

IMAGE:

VIDEO: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbUgJK6mjYY

Best,

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
No Pic, No Video. Here is some guessing based on what I see. Doesn't say specifically Calif only, so may be on all trucks.

The Air Pump is shown under the washer bottle in the front left corner (as you face the windshield with the hood open). It should have 0.4 to 1.0 Ohms resistance at 20°C. Pic makes it look like a one piece fan and blower. Black for power, White/Black wire for ground. should be easy to unplug to test of by hand out of the vehicle.

There is a 50A fuse labeled A/PMP which feeds it, but it runs through the Air Injection Control Driver to control it . THis is located on the firewall directly back from the Air Pump, under the hood still.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks. Got interrupted in the middle of editing the post. I've got video and an image up. The air pump makes a horrible racket. Would you mind taking a look at the video. It's up now. Ben

·
Premium Member
2008 Sienna LE
993 Posts
It sounds like the bearings in the motor are shot, but since it's assembled with Torx screws, you could try taking it apart, just to verify that nothing is caught in the fan. The one on mine looks different (or at least it has a cover over it), and is located further back on the fender apron, closer to the firewall. These things are insanely expensive, so you might try finding a used (salvage) one, or unplugging it and doing without it (do they even have emissions testing in Belize?). There's also an outfit that sells a bypass kit, that fools the ECU into thinking it still works:

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/229399-air-induction-pump-bypass-module-aip/

By the way, how did you come out with your cracked tailgate yoke problem?

Update: I don't know if it will help, but I found this video on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umr_lsSxyjs

where a guy with a 2007 Tundra took his pump apart (wasn't working) and cleaned it, clearing codes P2442 and P2445 in the process. Looks like there's other videos covering the pump, too.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
I agree with Shark. The sound of a bearing failing, or possible some crud (or broken guts) in the system. Where you are located I suspect its no big deal to run without it, the Environmental police aren't checking you every year.

If its something broken in the guts, may be able to repair with JB weld or similar high solids epoxy. IF its just bearings, Maybe you can get new ones, or maybe just clean and lube.

Here's a vid of a fouled up one. Might be worth following this guy if yours is really fouled, see if he fixed his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqCY5HGWIco

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I took one apart once just for the heck of it. There is basically nothing inside but a plastic impeller and a cheep foam inlet filter.

Its easy to get apart but match mark it well. I would think the bearings could be lubed. But, don't get angry and decide to punish it as it is a mega-expensive part. Be nice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solution

FYI: We unplugged it. Truck works fine with no horrible noise, no check engine light. However, we are south of the border and gettting a new catalytic converter if needed in the future is $150US.

·
Premium Member
2,630 Posts
Thanks for checking back in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts