Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Chevy to Toyota Convert
TRD 4x4 DC Tacoma
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im crazy about listening to satelitte radio and ipod content in my taco, but sometimes i have to get out of the vechile, what i would like to do is to install two weather resistant speakers in the storage compartments over the fenders in the bed, this way when im tailgating, taking my dog to the lake or just working on something outside, i can still enjoy whatever im listening to without opening all my doors, rolling down all the windows and maxing out the radio volume. it would be nice to have these speakers installed with a switch where i could turn them on and off

has anyone done anything like this?
is it possible?
what kind of speakers would be required? i was kind of thinking about marine speakers, they must be weather resistant right? im not really concerned about excellent audio quality, it would just be nice to hear the stuff while enjoying the outdoors,

any help with this would be greatly appreciated

thanks

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
I would love to do the same thing. Hope somebody can give an answer. That sounds like a great mod.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
It might be possible. Look for some 4" marine speakers, and put the speakers where they won't get direct spray from the tires.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
Marine will do just fine.

·
Chevy to Toyota Convert
TRD 4x4 DC Tacoma
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, crutchfield's selection looks great, do you guys think it would be possible to turn on and off these speakers with some type of switch? i dont want to be blasting my tunes out of the exterior speakers at inappriate times

·
Registered
06 Taco D.C. Sport
1,370 Posts
i belive i have seen pictures of someone here putting speakers on their bed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think this would probably be possible... You would have to get an amp to power them though

·
Registered
275 Posts
You would need a small amp and Marine speakers. Mount the amp behind the rear seats. Drill a small hole through the back wall of the truck and run the spealer wires to the bed. Caulk the hole with the wires in it or buy a rubber gromet from your locas stero shop.

I have done this several times on other trucks. It works well.:clap:

·
Chevy to Toyota Convert
TRD 4x4 DC Tacoma
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
could another amp be connected to the one I already have in the truck? Or do I have to run speaker wires all the way to the head unit? I already have a 4 channel amp.

·
Spanky!
329 Posts
yeah you could do that as long as the amp you have now has a preamp output. what you you could do is when you run the remote wire for the 2nd amp put a switch on it. so flip the switch and your amp powers up and then you would have control over if the speakers are on or not.

EDIT: you could also find a way to have the speakers in the back play much louder when turned on. then when you are outside of your truck you just hear those and not your speakers inside your cab. one way to do it would be just turn the gains up on the 2nd amp.

·
soundman34
2005 Tacoma
148 Posts
I am pretty sure that my current amp has preamp outputs. I'll double check. That is a pretty good idea. Thanks for the info.

·
Official Baller
'07 Tacoma PreRunner
2,960 Posts
If you'd like them on only at select times, make an inline switch for the remote wire to the amp for the bed speakers. Definitely a really cool idea, and goodluck with it =), The new Jeep Compass has the speakers for outside when you open the back latch. Not the same concept, but similar.

·
Tragically Hip
342 Posts
rydr1 said:
i belive i have seen pictures of someone here putting speakers on their bed.
I posted this picture a while back of Storm's Taco from Tundra Solutions,

1 - 16 of 16 Posts