Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a newsish 2019 Camry LE with 14000 odd miles. Today I went and got ice for an upcoming storm. I put sixty pounds of ice in my ice chest. As soon as I drove off I could feel the weight in the car. The steering became noticeably harder. That was only for a sixty pound load. I can’t imagine how you could ever put adults in the rear seat. I have never felt such a handling difference for added weight. The steering is normally effortless. What gives?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I recently took a road trip upstate, a good 5 hours each way, car packed to the brim, probably a bit over loaded if I'm being completely honest. Car did feel a bit different, but that's to be expected, but driving never felt dangerous nor was the car handling horribly. I dont think an ice chest with 60 pounds worth of ice would have affected handling anywhere near to where you would have felt it. Seems odd your steering wheel would get stiff. Mine only got the slightest bit stiff, but like I said, to be expected with the weight I had

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ours loaded like that handles like a bit of a pig as well. Still it’s not really worse than any other comparable car. At least there’s plenty of room back there. They are just lightly slung.
Try riding in a Sonata sometime. You’re sitting right between the wheels in back and get some weird sickening swings when on rough road. Then try getting out. The shape of the door sill is such that if you’re 6’ like me you need to lever yourself out using the arm rest on the door.
If you want a nice ride with 4 adults today you need a sport Ute or a time machine. It’s no small wonder why US manufacturers are beginning to drop cars in favor of trucks and utes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi all,
I have seen no other threads about this issue. Weird, though, I used to sell cars back in the eighties and drove real bad cars like the Ford Tempo and never felt anything like this.

·
Registered
2019 Camry XSE 2.5L A25A-FKS
855 Posts
I recently took a road trip upstate, a good 5 hours each way, car packed to the brim, probably a bit over loaded if I'm being completely honest. Car did feel a bit different, but that's to be expected, but driving never felt dangerous nor was the car handling horribly. I dont think an ice chest with 60 pounds worth of ice would have affected handling anywhere near to where you would have felt it. Seems odd your steering wheel would get stiff. Mine only got the slightest bit stiff, but like I said, to be expected with the weight I had
An adult is more than 60 lbs. I drive 2 adults many times with no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,

That is what concerns me. No one else seems to be complaining about this. There was such a major difference in steering effort that I wonder if there is a defect.
I would honestly try and take it in to the dealer and see if there are any issues with the steering mechanism. You're still covered by the factory warranty, better safe than sorry

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well, let's just say you have 3 passengers in the back weighing an average of 150 pounds each, that's 450 pounds or roughly an additional 15% weight distributed in just a small area in the car. Not too surprising if you feel a difference. I feel a huge difference too with a fully loaded car, but never enough to feel dangerous. Maybe take it easy when you're driving?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I expect it to feel different when carrying passengers, it's the law of physics. But not in the magnitude of steering being affected. You've never had passengers in your 14,000 miles of driving?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I drive with 2 full grown adults in the back seats all the time and I've never had any issues. Not sure why a 60 pound ice chest would cause any issues with the steering. You've not driven with passengers in the back?

·
Registered
2020 XSE
6 Posts
Did you carry that weight in the trunk? I would assume that would put more weight on the rear end of the car whereas rear passengers weight may better by evenly distributed? I can't see how that would affect steering.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you carry that weight in the trunk? I would assume that would put more weight on the rear end of the car whereas rear passengers weight may better by evenly distributed? I can't see how that would affect steering.
I carried 50 pounds worth of soil in the trunk before and didn't notice anything different.

·
Registered
789 Posts
50-100lbs should be nothing for a car. I put at least 70lbs of groceries in the trunk every week, with two adults and a child in the car, no handling issues.

I will say that I’ve seen quite a few Camrys that looked slammed with four passengers.

·
Registered
2020 XSE
6 Posts
Carry on then. I've carried two fatasses in my back seat and the only struggle I had were my 0-60 times. :cry:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi all,

I have a newsish 2019 Camry LE with 14000 odd miles. Today I went and got ice for an upcoming storm. I put sixty pounds of ice in my ice chest. As soon as I drove off I could feel the weight in the car. The steering became noticeably harder. That was only for a sixty pound load. I can’t imagine how you could ever put adults in the rear seat. I have never felt such a handling difference for added weight. The steering is normally effortless. What gives?
Im not too sure if this option is available in your model, but did you happen to put the car in sport mode? That stiffens the steering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im not too sure if this option is available in your model, but did you happen to put the car in sport mode? That stiffens the steering.
sport mode is only available on the XLE and XSE and it doesn't tighten up the suspension, it only adjust throttle response and steering input

·
Registered
31 Posts
sport mode is only available on the XLE and XSE and it doesn't tighten up the suspension, it only adjust throttle response and steering input
correct via electric power steering. I didn’t say anything about the suspension, just that the steering is stiffened. Maybe “heavier” would of been the better choice of vocabulary...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Let me rephrase that question: "Can the Camry carry 5 occupants and feeling like driving a kart?" The answer to that question is NO! The Camry is a good quality family car at a reasonable price for what you get. Why do we have to debate this simple thing?

Get a Model S if you want the space, the torque, the speed, the driving dynamics, the quietness... Be ready to pay the price.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts