Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry SE 2.5
531 Posts
Ok, there have been some lengthy discussions in regards to the engine oil, and I’m not trying to start another one, but can I increase the longevity of the engine by using 0w20 or thicker vs. the recommended 0w16?
YES. Higher viscosity oil protects better under severe service. Always has, and always will. The Camry owners manual tells you exactly that. The only reason 0W-16 is "recommended", is to meet CAFE mileage standards. NOT to achieve the best engine protection and longevity.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
835 Posts
The idea is that they break down.
The problem is, they don't.
When buried in a landfill, they are no longer exposed to UV and ozone, so the deterioration stops.
The idea is that they degrade while in use, causing you to junk the car, so deterioration cessation in a landfill isn't a concern :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
The idea is that they degrade while in use, causing you to junk the car, so deterioration cessation in a landfill isn't a concern :ROFLMAO:
2004 Rav 4 for 11 years, 150,000 miles.
2008 Tacoma, 160,000 miles, 8 years.
2016 Corolla (with Softex interior) 5 years, 120,000 miles when it was wrecked a couple of months ago.
2015 Rav4, 6 years, 40,000 miles.

I respectfully disagree.
If a vehicle is taken care of and kept clean, there is no reason it can't last.
None of these vehicles had deteriorated/broken interior plastics or fabric or discoloration. The Corolla still looked and drove as good when the other guy ran a red light as it looked and drove the day I bought it. The only thing I did to the interior was replace the carpeted floor mats every 18-24 months because my boot heel tends to wear through.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
835 Posts
2016 Corolla (with Softex interior) 5 years, 120,000 miles when it was wrecked a couple of months ago.

I respectfully disagree.
None of these vehicles had deteriorated/broken interior plastics or fabric or discoloration. The Corolla still looked and drove as good when the other guy ran a red light as it looked and drove the day I bought it. The only thing I did to the interior was replace the carpeted floor mats every 18-24 months because my boot heel tends to wear through.
That was supposed to be a joke lol

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts

I respectfully disagree.
I don't wipe down as often as I should but I'm not touching everything with greasy dirty hands either. Some writing has worn down though.

I'll say it again, it's gonna take 20 years to determine if an 20 year old car will last 20 years. We already know a 20 year old car is gonna last 20 years because it's been 20 years.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
835 Posts
I don't wipe down as often as I should but I'm not touching everything with greasy dirty hands either. Some writing has worn down though.
View attachment 342614
View attachment 342615
View attachment 342616 View attachment 342617 View attachment 342618 View attachment 342619

I'll say it again, it's gonna take 20 years to determine if an 20 year old car will last 20 years. We already know a 20 year old car is gonna last 20 years because it's been 20 years.
Looks similar to my 09 with 135k on the odo.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry SE 2.5
531 Posts
If it's the plastic is what you're worried about, keep it out of the Sun. Buy a dash mat, and use a windshield Sun shade. And keep it in a garage, or at the very least a covered parking spot. Also use a good protectant, like 303 Aerospace Protectant. I have done this with my 1991 Ford F-150, and all the plastic looks like the day I drove it home from the dealership. No cracks or chalking at all.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
You hit the nail on the head! I don't think these modern interiors are going to last and will look like garbage long before the rest of the car wears out.
Sounds like boom times are ahead for the a/m auto interior industry that can make it all better inside again

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
View attachment 342614
View attachment 342615
View attachment 342616 View attachment 342617 View attachment 342618 View attachment 342619

Your 2008 Camry only has 118k miles. That is gonna be awhile for it to hit 300k miles. It's gonna last a long time.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
835 Posts
My 09 unfortunately is developing a steering rack leak which would cost at least 1 thousand to repair. I don’t think it’s worth sinking so much money into it anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2021 Avalon XSE Hybrid
6,929 Posts
My 09 unfortunately is developing a steering rack leak which would cost at least 1 thousand to repair. I don’t think it’s worth sinking so much money into it anymore.
My parents severed their long term relationship with Buick (from 1953!) in '96 or '97 when they traded their early 80s Century in on a Camry.
Finally in, mom got tired of the dealer nickle and diming them to death once dad was in no condition to work on cars anymore and they traded it in on an '18 Rav4.
Pretty good run on that old girl.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Why VW pleather feels almost like leather and last 10+ with no issues and Toyota pleather feels like s..t and in in some cases fails even before the warranty is up?
You really want to compare VW quality with Toyota? Everything comes at a cost and truth be told nobody here will be willing to pay what Toyota would have to charge to have the ultra high quality plastic some in this forum want. Toyota wisely chose to use higher quality mechanical parts versus interior plastic and touch point materials.

Now if you insist that you need higher quality interior material along with strong mechanical reliability I recommend Lexus.

·
BeerSteakTxas
10,915 Posts
You really want to compare VW quality with Toyota?
Yes.
Some of my relatives, friends and coworkers own pretty fresh VW's. Two of my buddies (long time Toyota owners) switched to VW within the past few years and based on their experience Toyota definitely gonna lose in interior quality, service quality and warranty related work/services. Check a higher trim Tiguan interior, it's premium level and 35k Rav's interior has a rental feel to it. My baddy has a 100K 2017 Passat – not a single issue and its interior still looks and feels nicer than my 38K Avy's interior.

Now if you insist that you need higher quality interior material along with strong mechanical reliability I recommend Lexus.
Lexus stopped using high quality materials on their lower end models like the IS ES RX long time ago and using the same Toyota quality pleather and leather unless you willing to pay for high end models or optional packages. My BOL’s 2019 RX350 with 32K miles already needs a front wheel bearing, has more than a few cracks on the driver’s seat leather and has a bunch of chips on the hood.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Honestly speaking, cheap plastics have been a compliant since at least 2007 and I know a 1993 Camry's dash that have cracked and split opened in 2005.

So rather than complain about cheap plastics, it's more about complaining about how the dash looks in comparison to its European competitors. At which case, everyone complains because evidently a new Camry's dash is never gonna be good enough.
That's strange, because the 01 Echo is one of the cheapest cars Toyota ever made, and yet mine doesn't have any cracks or splits, looks basically the same as in 2001. It has however been garaged when at home however so could that have something to do with it?

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
That's strange, because the 01 Echo is one of the cheapest cars Toyota ever made, and yet mine doesn't have any cracks or splits, looks basically the same as in 2001. It has however been garaged when at home however so could that have something to do with it?
It just depends on environment and whether or not anyone cares about it.

121 - 140 of 244 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.