Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Yes.
Some of my relatives, friends and coworkers own pretty fresh VW's. Two of my buddies (long time Toyota owners) switched to VW within the past few years and based on their experience Toyota definitely gonna lose in interior quality, service quality and warranty related work/services. Check a higher trim Tiguan interior, it's premium level and 35k Rav's interior has a rental feel to it. My baddy has a 100K 2017 Passat – not a single issue and its interior still looks and feels nicer than my 38K Avy's interior
This thread is on long term durability so comparing brand new VWs and Toyotas misses the point. There are still plenty of early 2000s Camrys still on the road. They only have one wheel cover, faded paint, dents and hazy headlights but they're still rolling. When was the last time you saw a 2002 VW on the road?

Before you talk about Toyota pleather I advise you to Google VW V-Tex. Most of their interiors is made of similar pleather. And as someone who has experience with VW's (ex girlfriend had a 2008 Jetta) I can assure you they aren't on the same level of reliability as durability as Toyota. The interior was more Audi than VW and far better than any Toyota at the time, including the Avalon. But those buttons eventually wore down to the white plastic beneath the coating and it wasn't that old. It wasn't old because she had to get rid of it because it was constantly in the shop. I think I changed every ignition coil on it, some of them twice. And the vacuum pump was also a problem and costly to fix. Off the top of my head there was a bad headlight switch, radio display went blank, oil leaks and A/C went out. All of this was in 6 years and around 110,000 miles when she got rid of it.

It was a beautiful car and it's interior appointments were far more luxurious than any other car in it's class, but it doesn't hold up in the long run.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry SE 2.5
531 Posts
........ The average person is going to go by whatever Toyota says on maintenance schedule issues, whether it turns out it's right or not for long term viability past the puny 60K mile warranty period. If Toyota is wrong, the people that will be paying the price is either people who keep cars longer than a few years, or the 2nd owner, who buys a car that at the moment of sale is running great, and not realizing that they might be buying a future money pit in terms of maint. or repair costs.
This pretty well sums it up right down the line, including this whole 0W-16 oil fiasco. The people who use 0W-16 oil do so primarily because Toyota TOLD them to...

While most all of the people who question it, and end up going to a higher viscosity oil, do so because they have a better basic understanding of lubrication in general, and question as to WHY it is being "preferred". Every one of those answers point only to better fuel economy, and easier cold weather starting. And have nothing to do with longer engine life.

It's no different with all of these supposed "lifetime" fluids and other items, that for decades were replaced at regular intervals. And now, all of a sudden, can miraculously last a "lifetime". Knowledgeable people are not buying into it, and are asking questions. And they're getting answers, that for the most part can be considered nonsensical.

Reactions: DMD3

·
Registered
444 Posts
Back to oil debate #7.
Well my life is easy as I follow what Toyota tells me. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Guess what, If I was as smart as Toyota, I would build my own car but since I am not I therefore I yield to Toyota's advise. There seems to be a lot of fake Lubrication Engineers on this site which only muddles that whole site with their superstitions and well meaning but uneducated advise.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Well my life is easy as I follow what Toyota tells me. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Guess what, If I was as smart as Toyota, I would build my own car but since I am not I therefore I yield to Toyota's advise. There seems to be a lot of fake Lubrication Engineers on this site which only muddles that whole site with their superstitions and well meaning but uneducated advise.
There's decent information from out of country oil specs for the same engine but I rather not see another oil debate about 0W-16 that will get this thread locked even though all this thread is about is about bashing Toyota's quality and making assumptions of how fast it will die.

It's gonna take 20 years to determine if a 20 year old vehicle will last 20 years. We know a 20 year old vehicle is gonna last 20 years because it's been 20 years.

·
Registered
2018 Toyota Camry SE 2.5
531 Posts
There's decent information from out of country oil specs for the same engine but I rather not see another oil debate about 0W-16 that will get this thread locked even though all this thread is about is about bashing Toyota's quality and making assumptions of how fast it will die.......
There is nothing wrong with Toyota's quality. It's as good or better than any of the other massed produced vehicles. With that said, they don't care how long it lasts, just as long as it's past the warranty. Yes, automakers are going to more and more plastics and composite materials.

The gun industry has done much the same. That in itself doesn't mean a lack of quality. Anymore than a Glock or Springfield XD lacks quality just because it's manufactured from Polymer. Plastics may not be as aesthetically pleasing as leather covered door panels, or finely polished blued steel. But both are able to live just as long, and look good with reasonable care. Hell, even Raquel Welch got old and still looks good..... And I'm willing to bet she runs even better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
Sounds like boom times are ahead for the a/m auto interior industry that can make it all better inside again
I posted a thread awhile back about buying the higher trim level with cockpit red interior vs. the lower trim and having an upholstery shop install it. The ONLY reason I’d pay for the XSE Camry is for the red interior. I’d gladly settle for the LE or SE models if they came with red leather. Assuming that upholsterers use better quality than the manufacturer, perhaps this is the best route.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes.
Some of my relatives, friends and coworkers own pretty fresh VW's. Two of my buddies (long time Toyota owners) switched to VW within the past few years and based on their experience Toyota definitely gonna lose in interior quality, service quality and warranty related work/services. Check a higher trim Tiguan interior, it's premium level and 35k Rav's interior has a rental feel to it. My baddy has a 100K 2017 Passat – not a single issue and its interior still looks and feels nicer than my 38K Avy's interior.

Lexus stopped using high quality materials on their lower end models like the IS ES RX long time ago and using the same Toyota quality pleather and leather unless you willing to pay for high end models or optional packages. My BOL’s 2019 RX350 with 32K miles already needs a front wheel bearing, has more than a few cracks on the driver’s seat leather and has a bunch of chips on the hood.
Ive driven several of Lexus’s new SUV’s as loaner cars and I was very disappointed in the interior materials quality. Actually I was quite disappointed with the whole vehicle, especially for the price. Now their upper model sedans are different story. The 500 is luxury. It’s just so damn expensive for me to justify actually purchasing one.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Camry XSE V6
835 Posts
Ive driven several of Lexus’s new SUV’s as loaner cars and I was very disappointed in the interior materials quality. Actually I was quite disappointed with the whole vehicle, especially for the price. Now their upper model sedans are different story. The 500 is luxury. It’s just so damn expensive for me to justify actually purchasing one.
The upcoming IS500 caught my eye, but the insides of the Lexus looks so dated compared to the more youthful Camry revamp. The Lexus drapes don’t match the carpet…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
549 Posts
You have to wait twenty years to determine if a twenty year old vehicle will last twenty years.
Indeed.... but with wives, just look at their mother before you sign...

• Haha
Reactions: L3G1T and cb91710

·
Registered
211 Posts
Gen 5 Camry (02-06) do have an transmission dipstick for drain and refill and very easy on maintenance. Newer Toyota on all models don't have an transmission dipstick and is harder to do maintenance (drain + refill) Lifetime transmission fluid ( Scotty Kilmer says nothing last lifetime on fluid and when transmission burn => Does Toyota will give you an new transmission?)
I work for a company called Carolina BG. We offer somewhere between 2-5K worth on coverage on your transmission if you get it flushed at 50K miles or less and then every 20-30K after that. and yes we do honor our coverage, I do all of our Maintenace on my personal vehicles'. See if there's a company like ours in your area. It's not BS our product works and we offer services for any fluid you put in your car. Just keep a record of when you start using "our" services and have the documents ready when filing a claim. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
I could care less how the back end looks from the driver's seat going on throttle.
I care a little how the back end looks when im going full throttle lol

·
Banned
65 Posts
2007 cheap plastic looked cheap in 2007, but today it looks expensive and 2007 velour looks like a luxury option and unavailable on mass market models today. The Camry's design is subjective, but overall cheapness of the gen 8 is a fact...
Welcome to 2021. All modern cars are like this now, unless your paying big bucks for a top notch luxury car.

I’d still be driving an 01’ Camry if I had the opportunity, unfortunately a 2001 Camry is going to be 21 years old next month.
Those “old glory” cars you like so much are aging, even if their engines are solid other parts are becoming very old and can be dangerous to drive. Not to mention driving around in a 20+ year old car feels weird when everything around you is much newer.
As for 2007, that’s around the time frame when car makers started cutting corners and cheaping out on materials. The 6th Gen 2007-2011 Camry was notorious for it’s cheap low quality interior not to mention mechanical issues and dozens of recalls. 6th gen Camry design also looks cheap and ugly overall.
The current 8th gen Camry is the best Camry to date since the 4th gen.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
My mom and dad own a 2021 Rav4 or maybe 2022??? They have had a lot of issues with the windshield cracking, plastic and vinyl bits not holding up under warranty. They have had some issues under the hood and a recall. They have been changing the oil at the dealership with Toyota 0W16 every 6 months. The things that will be serious problems are the user interface for HVAC/Radio/NAV etc.....All of these touch screens controls will be issues as they age since no one will have replacements when the OEM discontinues them! All of the plstic pieces keep getting cheaper and more fragile. Soon the entire car will fall apart around the engine and transmission!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes. Just do the maintenance and you will be fine. My toyotas last on factory parts for a long time, without changing anything.

141 - 160 of 244 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.