Toyota Nation Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 180 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes.
Some of my relatives, friends and coworkers own pretty fresh VW's. Two of my buddies (long time Toyota owners) switched to VW within the past few years and based on their experience Toyota definitely gonna lose in interior quality, service quality and warranty related work/services. Check a higher trim Tiguan interior, it's premium level and 35k Rav's interior has a rental feel to it. My baddy has a 100K 2017 Passat – not a single issue and its interior still looks and feels nicer than my 38K Avy's interior.
I had a 16 Jetta and just nothing but problems. After 100k Turbo went out, alternator wasn't working well, electric wire was having issues, silver material came out every time I do oil change, tranny leaking and clunking, AC wasn't working, interior just cheap plastic, the seats are just too hard, windows were not working well. I made a switch to Toyota Camry, and you know what, interior just way better than VW, mechanical wise has no problem at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My mom and dad own a 2021 Rav4 or maybe 2022??? They have had a lot of issues with the windshield cracking, plastic and vinyl bits not holding up under warranty. They have had some issues under the hood and a recall. They have been changing the oil at the dealership with Toyota 0W16 every 6 months. The things that will be serious problems are the user interface for HVAC/Radio/NAV etc.....All of these touch screens controls will be issues as they age since no one will have replacements when the OEM discontinues them! All of the plstic pieces keep getting cheaper and more fragile. Soon the entire car will fall apart around the engine and transmission!
Toyotas are not a built as they are used to.

Lexus is the way to go. More stringent quality checks. Better materials.

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
Toyotas are not a built as they are used to.

Lexus is the way to go. More stringent quality checks. Better materials.
.... literally made in the same plant here bud ... and literally by the same people - they just change their hat...

Reactions: cb91710

·
16' Camry SE & 18' Camry XSE
18 & 20 XSE Camry
880 Posts
I had a 16 Jetta and just nothing but problems. After 100k Turbo went out, alternator wasn't working well, electric wire was having issues, silver material came out every time I do oil change, tranny leaking and clunking, AC wasn't working, interior just cheap plastic, the seats are just too hard, windows were not working well. I made a switch to Toyota Camry, and you know what, interior just way better than VW, mechanical wise has no problem at all.
I went from 2017 audi A3 to 2018 camry XSE and interior material quality is really comparable. However..... For 18 months I had my audi, I had to go to service 14 times for all sorts of issues. Engine start stop stalling the car, trans rattle and scrapes, mmi and virtual cockpit blanking out, door handle proximity sensors inoperable, rear suspension loose/clunking.... It was a horrible expirience on a brand new car with 7 miles. This car sealed a deal of me never ever buying a German car. I gave up at 30k miles and went back to Toyota. I have a 2018 and 2020 Camry and not a single issue. Both XSEs even handle and ride better then that audi atrocity.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
.... literally made in the same plant here bud ... and literally by the same people - they just change their hat...
None of mine are made in the US. They are all from Japan. I would never buy a Lexus made in the US.

Even a single plant have different production lines. People who assemble Toyotas in Japan cannot just walk across and start assembling Lexuses. The minimum experience and qualification are different.

Just like in school, they seperate the A students from the D students.

So just keep imagining your Toyota is built to the same standard. It’s not. That’s not even accounting for the difference in QC and materials quality.

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
None of mine are made in the US. They are all from Japan. I would never buy a Lexus made in the US.

Even a single plant have different production lines. People who assemble Toyotas in Japan cannot just walk across and start assembling Lexuses. The minimum experience and qualification are different.

Just like in school, they seperate the A students from the D students.

So just keep imagining your Toyota is built to the same standard. It’s not. That’s not even accounting for the difference in QC and materials quality.
How many plants have you worked in? Don't cry yourself to sleep because reality it too hard to swallow ...

·
Registered
118 Posts
How many plants have you worked in? Don't cry yourself to sleep because reality it too hard to swallow ...
I’m not hearing any counter argument apart from personal attacks. Case closed.

Toyota controls the QC, not the manufacturering plant.
Lexus and Toyota are seperate business units and have their own QC standards.

QC are minimum standards.

Just take a look at the crappy bumper paint job on carcarenut’s Camry that he just brought brand new assembled in the US. That kind of poor workmanship would not even make past a Toyota factory in Japan.

·
Banned
2008 Toyota Camry Base / CE
18,382 Posts
Lexus and Toyota are seperate business units and have their own QC standards.

QC are minimum standards.

Just take a look at the crappy bumper paint job on carcarenut’s Camry that he just brought brand new assembled in the US. That kind of poor workmanship would not even make past a Toyota factory in Japan.
It passed the QC 🤷‍♀️. Hit or miss, that is all there is to it. If you look for issues, you will likely find them. If you don't, you won't ever notice. As far as I am concerned or will ever notice, US, JP, CA, MX, maybe CN, quality will vary but be close enough that I just won't notice or care.

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
Case open. You sound confused, sorry too personal … there seems to be confusion in these recent statements. 1st stated that Toyota and Lexus are separate QC - then stating that US vs JP is the problem. Fanboy I believe is the correct term? Yes I have not worked in a Toyota/Lexus plant overseas but unless YOU have & worked in plants in NA as well as other parts of the world to compare then you sir sound like you are bashing other peoples personal knowledge / experience / opinions solely based off of how you feel.

Case Closed.

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
Might as well toss this is here since it seems appropriate...

" My US vin can beat up your J vin "

• Haha

·
Registered
👽 e210 (m20a-fks) *6mt*💯
3,082 Posts
FYI - all the 12th gen Corolla 6mt transmission failures have only occurred on .. wait for it .. J VIN BUILT HATCHES.
🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
800 Posts
When Bob Lutz became chairman of GM back in 2001 one thing he looked at was the build quality at GM. When he asked about why the body panel gaps and alignments were not equal to other makes the answer he got was nobody asked for them to be improved and they could do that if he wanted.

Point is the quality you get is what is demanded of the manufacturer regardless of where it's made. For many years the longest lasting appliances you could buy were Sears Kenmore (not anymore and hasn't been for a while). Most of them were built by Whirlpool but Sears' specifications required the use of more durable components than Whirlpool appliances. People say Chinese made products are very cheap and low quality but those same people have Chinese made iPhones in their pockets which have the highest quality in the industry. That's because Apple demands the best quality from their manufacturers and suppliers.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I believe all manufacturers desire quality, but cost and profits create a compromise. Complexity is antithetical to quality and adopting new technology comes at a significant cost as far as longevity. My 20+ year old Toyotas, all 3 in total have had a single light bulb failure on the made in the USA Sienna. The made in Japan Echoes have not had a single bulb failure. I bought a 40 year old Honda CB350 that did not have a single light bulb failure. The total weight of the steering system in my manual rack and pinion is around 6 pounds, no pump, hoses, belts or any other components, just a rack and pinion, unless you want to include the tie rods. The 170 k mile used one I got off my parts car is in perfect condition with considerable resistance in all the ball sockets in the inner and outer tie rods.
I will not need to replace these cars. I would wager that my now 20 year old incandescent bulbs will outlast the LEDS on new cars. The clear coat failed at 20+ years, while the wife's 2016 Rogue has the beginnings of clear coat failure on the headlamp lenses and probably the paint, in spite of being garaged since purchased.
How soon we forget the longevity of some machines we rely on for everyday life's requirements.
In reality it will not make a difference in 20 years. I'll be 91 if I live that long and considering the quality of life of my 96 and 100 year old parents, I really would rather not live that long, but then those are brave words until you toes are hanging over the edge of the abyss as theirs are, but then his surviving older sister will be 110 if she lasts that long, enduring almost constant pain.
New cars today will not need to last that long, if you believe the PREDICTORS of auto evolution, the days of personal vehicle ownership are numbered. The other side of that coin is personal transportation has driven the progress of human endeavor for over a century, but we will soon forget this thread and the old cars that just kept on going far beyond any reasonable life expectancy. The decline has already begun. How many 10 year old Teslas do you see for sale?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Case open. You sound confused, sorry too personal … there seems to be confusion in these recent statements. 1st stated that Toyota and Lexus are separate QC - then stating that US vs JP is the problem. Fanboy I believe is the correct term? Yes I have not worked in a Toyota/Lexus plant overseas but unless YOU have & worked in plants in NA as well as other parts of the world to compare then you sir sound like you are bashing other peoples personal knowledge / experience / opinions solely based off of how you feel.

Case Closed.
stick to the facts. There is a difference between Lexus and Toyota QC. There is a difference between Japan and US built cars.

They are not mutually exclusive qualities. Even a 5 year old can understand such simple reasoning.

161 - 180 of 244 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.