Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this idea while doing some research on various fluids and it got me wondering. I'm going to be doing an ATF drain and fill and was wondering if I can use the same fluid in the power steering? :dunno: I figured i could get a 5qt jug of ATF and use the remainder from the drain and fill to swap the PS.......does this work for a 1998 camry? I think both fluids are both Dextron III but obviously want to get a definitive answer before moving forward. Thanks in advance!

·
2001 Camry XLE 1MZ-FE
2001 Camry XLE
1,656 Posts
Your owners manual recommends DEX3 ATF for the power steering unit.
+1 to this, and if you don't have a manual then take a look at the top of the cap on the power steering reservoir, it should say what to use.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yep. Dexron III is recommended fluid type per FSM. PS fluid Toyota dealerships sell is actually a low-grade Dexron III fluid without the coloring pigments, so that's why it's clear.

I flushed my PS fluid with Valvoline ATF MaxLife a few weeks ago, and am pleased with the results: lighter steering, esp. when the car is cold, and no more PS pump squeaking in the cold.

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect! Thanks for the definitive answers guys! As far as changing the PS fluid is the "pump out of reservoir, fill, drive, repeat" method my best bet?

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,243 Posts
Perfect! Thanks for the definitive answers guys! As far as changing the PS fluid is the "pump out of reservoir, fill, drive, repeat" method my best bet?
My PS system was leaking when I got the car a few years ago ... not sure exactly where ... maybe the hydraulic seals. I drained the reservoir on the inner fender and refilled it several times ... driving some distance between refills. After a short period of time, it seemed like there was a major improvement. The fluid leak has disappeared ... maybe turning effort is improved. I still drain and refill the PS fluid bottle with every oil change.
The PS fluid that I use for refilling is sold at the Toyota dealership ... small bottles ... some sort of generic PS fluid ...

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
This is the best method: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...nging-power-steering-fluid-advice-needed.html

It takes approximately 1qt to do this and you will change ALL the fluid in one go, and pump out any contaminates. I did this with Valvoline maxLife Dex/Merc and the steering does seem to be much smoother and lighter.

Its a good idea to do this and only costs 5$.

·
Registered
1998 Camry XLE
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts