Toyota Nation Forum banner

can water droplets or condensation fry wireset? how did water get there?

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  gcorolla99 
#1 ·
I had some misfire issues on my corolla 99. When I took out the boot to spark plug #2, i notice water condensation (literally droplets) around the boot and where the spark plug meets the engine. I'm not sure where this condensation comes from. I unscrewed the plug and it's oily black.

I tested all four wires with a meter and found that wire #2 had no continuity. I wiggled it but no use.

According to this site below, it said that

"Moisture – If moisture becomes trapped in the spark plug hole or between the plug and the wire, it can cause arcing. This will cause permanent damage to the spark plug wires and possibly the spark plug as well. "

http://www.boschautoparts.com/Resources/FAQS/SparkPlugWireSets.htm

So, do you think it's this moisture that killed my wire? Where did this moisture come from? It seems like somehow it seeped through the spark plug..but how? I don't know how long this has been going on, but wire #2 is completely dead and it's only recently that CEL reports of misfire.

Thanks,
Gordon

See less See more
#3 ·
i know the wires should be replaced, there's 111,000 miles. but the reason why i'm asking is because I want to know if it was caused by a bad cylinder (internal part) leaking oil, which somehow snuffed out the spark plug, which somehow caused moisture build up, which affected the wire. OR, it was first caused by a bad wire, which caused no spark, which caused the buildup of oil on the plug. I just recently bought this car used.

#4 ·
If the plug isn't firing it will foul.
The moisture could be due to that part of head not getting hot enough to evaporate the moisture when covered with spark plug boot.

I'm sure a new set of Toyota wires and Denso plugs, the car will be very happy again, as you will be.

#7 · (Edited)
I believe I know how water got to the boot.

the previous owner isn't a mechanic, so I'm willing to be that he changed the spark plug and did not use vaccum to suck up the dirt. by putting new spark plugs in a dirty hole, i'm sure the seal isn't optimal. As a result, gas from the compression probably have escaped onto the boot and the seal actually trapped it. I think it's a bad idea to have seal on top of the boot cuz it prevents evaporation! i think the seal was probably designed to hold the wireset onto the plug due to micro engine vibrations!

3 of the hole has a bit of rust and the 4th one is shiny aluminum clean. now i have to find a way to clean out the rust before i put in the engine. does anyone know how?

Gordon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.