Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Camry LE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

I have a 2000 Camry LE with what I beleive to be a factory Keyless Entry system. The car has power door locks but no power trunk. I am wondering if the factory KES has the functionality to open a trunk and if all I have to do is install a power trunk mechanisim, wire it up to the right lead on the KES, and update my KES remotes to ones that inlude a trunk button.

Does anyone know if the systems that are installed have more functionality than may be acutally used in the cars? Seems to me that it would be more cost effective for the factory/dealer to produce just one system and enable/disable functionality as it is appropriate for the car in question. Any thought?

Thanks
Fred

·
I'm Cam'd Up
93 Camry Sedan
128 Posts
welcome to TN

if you pop your trunk alot without getting in car yes but if you are just getting it for normal usage it would be more cost effective to get some thing else for the money.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
2000 Camry LE
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pimpin,
Thanks for your reply, but I meant cost effectiviness for the Factory/Dealer who installs the KES.

·
Camry Freak
Camry & Accord
1,971 Posts
In my 98 LE, (that did not come with keyless entry) I went with an aftermarket system that added keyless entry & the trunk release. It was $230 for it all (about 5 years ago), and they had to put the trunk release mechanism in the trunk- which disabled the interior floor one, but they also put a button on the dash to pop the trunk.

The existing system in 97-01 camrys uses a wire- I believe that there was an option from the dealer when you purchased the Toyota security system, but as for a stand alone option for trunk release- not from factory or dealer installed option.

(at least not to my knowledge)

·
I'm Cam'd Up
93 Camry Sedan
128 Posts
ohh, i think it is a great idea if you use it alot:thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts