Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if you can order/buy Prerunners, specifically 2.7L, in New England? Currently have a 05 AC 4x4 Sport and my commute will be getting longer in the fall. Like to get better gas mileage. Thanks.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Anyone know if you can order/buy Prerunners, specifically 2.7L, in New England? Currently have a 05 AC 4x4 Sport and my commute will be getting longer in the fall. Like to get better gas mileage. Thanks.
You'll have to build your own on the Toyota website in you area and see if its stocked. If not search other states.

The 'lower' 5 lug 2x4 will be avail, But I've never seen a 'Prerunner' badge anywhere in upstate NY, VT, NH, or ME in 4 yrs.

Assuming both Access cab prerunners, your 4x4 v6 vs. a Prerunner 2x4 I4... I'm betting only a 2-3 mpg difference avg. I'm not seeing where its worth it. You'll also need to buy snow tires for winter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Prerunner

Hi
I am a Boston resident with a long commute. In 2005, I attempted to order a Prerunner 4 cyl access cab and it would have been possible - but it worked out to be much easier to order it through a dealer near my brother in DC. It took forever (5 months) but worked out in the end.

Gas mileage is 21 winter, 23.5 summer with the 16 inch tires. There is no way you would end up saving money in the long run due to the high transaction costs of switching vehicles and the higher costs of driving a newer vehicle. Plus you will be doing the environment a favor by driving you old car longer.

If you do decide to order a prerunner, pm me and I will share my lessons learned...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Looks like it won't be worth going the Prerunner route. Based on JD's mileage numbers, it's less that a 2 mpg gain. I see an average of 20mpg in my v6 6spd 4x4 now with 60/40 highway/back road driving. I guess I incorrectly assumed the Prerunner was a just a 2 wheel drive with different suspension. Thanks again.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate the responses. Looks like it won't be worth going the Prerunner route. Based on JD's mileage numbers, it's less that a 2 mpg gain. I see an average of 20mpg in my v6 6spd 4x4 now with 60/40 highway/back road driving. I guess I incorrectly assumed the Prerunner was a just a 2 wheel drive with different suspension. Thanks again.
Getting 20 mpg w/ the v6 6spd in winter (and you have full E10 gas in S. NH) is a feat in itself. Can pull 20 all summer long, but not in winter. You got a good truck there.

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
First off, nice to see another NH Tacoma fan!

Getting 20 mpg w/ the v6 6spd in winter (and you have full E10 gas in S. NH) is a feat in itself. Can pull 20 all summer long, but not in winter. You got a good truck there.
I have the V6 4x4 6-spd and I usually get 17.5-18.5MPG in the winter, I did take a trip down to NYC and when my speed was between 55-65 I managed to get about 20.5MPG, which was the most I ever got.

Demoncleaner, it sucks that all gas in NH is E10, do you know if the gas in CT/NY is also E10?

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
First off, nice to see another NH Tacoma fan!

I have the V6 4x4 6-spd and I usually get 17.5-18.5MPG in the winter, I did take a trip down to NYC and when my speed was between 55-65 I managed to get about 20.5MPG, which was the most I ever got.

Demoncleaner, it sucks that all gas in NH is E10, do you know if the gas in CT/NY is also E10?
Gas here in MA is E10. I was getting usually 17-18 winter gas mileage here, at least until I got the tires I have now. I'm down to 16 avg so far. I really need to do a tuneup though.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts

Actually just the southern counties in NH have E10 madated (Concord incl'd), my folks in Carrol county, it depends on the station (Coos/north country I dont see it at all). I try to avoid E10 for my old motorcycle, sled, and the truck losses 1 mpg. Pulled the snow tires last nite, so am hoping for clear roads and should be able to get 20-21 headin out there next week.

I dont know about CT/NYC, in upstate NY its generally not E10.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use 6th gear all the time. Anytime I'm over 30mph, I'm in 6th. Also keep my tires around 30psi. Best MPG I got last summer was 22.8. At 90K, it still runs like a top. The only negative is the 17" Sport wheels are all corroded. Tried to get Toyota to replace them, but no go.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The only negative is the 17" Sport wheels are all corroded. Tried to get Toyota to replace them, but no go.
What dealer are you going to?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I talked to Rockingham in Salem, where I bought the truck. They wouldn't do anything so then I email Toyota customer relations and they told me no as well.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I talked to Rockingham in Salem, where I bought the truck. They wouldn't do anything so then I email Toyota customer relations and they told me no as well.
Those guys must like me, or something then, because they replaced all four of my out-of-warranty Off Road alloys, when I showed the manager the three that were starting to blister.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
Those guys must like me, or something then, because they replaced all four of my out-of-warranty Off Road alloys, when I showed the manager the three that were starting to blister.

Sounds like a good case against them

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Moving to a PR might save a few bucks in gas. Trading in your old taco will costs thousands. Why trade for essentially the same truck?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts