Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
okazaki
Avalon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this 1995 Avalon a few months ago. So far it's been a pile of trouble, but that's another story.

It has a strange device on the two front doors. The device cosists of two parts: A 5 cm black square attached to the inner part of the door, and a 1.5 X 3 cm plastic part glued to the armrest. The parts are connected by a thin wire. Both parts have the Toyota name and logo on them.

Does anybody know what it is?

Here are some pictures:

·
Working hard?
91 |4 camry
376 Posts
No idea. maybe a security device?

·
Camry Under Construction
668 Posts
that is weird i work at a toyota dealership and i have never seen that on any other toyota

·
Working hard?
91 |4 camry
376 Posts
what happens when you press the button? is it a deadlocking device?

·
okazaki
Avalon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing happens when I press the button. I'm not even sure it's a button. It doesn't provide any tactile response like a switch button normally would. Maybe it's some kind of sensor?

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
I would have to say contact a dealer in your area. I am assuming you are really in Japan since that is what your avatar says. IT is very possible that is something that never made it to the US or anywhere else for that matter.

·
VeeZed
1988 Toyota Camry V6
2,298 Posts
It's weird also that it has exposed wire running btw the two..if it was factory that wouldnt be the case...perhaps it something normally hidden, but someone added it after and didnt bother neatening it up...dunno!!

·
okazaki
Avalon
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just discovered that the car has a remote starting system installed. Could it have something to do with that?

Come on, guys. Don't make me take the door panel off!

·
Registered
226 Posts
From the looks of it, you don't have to take the door panel off to see what it is.. The wire is exposed on the outside of the door panel so just trace the wire to whatever it is going to.. Shouldnt be that hard.. Like it was said before, if it was factory, the wire would be hidden and not let out in the open like that.. Good luck.

·
Registered
475 Posts
My guess is it's for static electricity discharge. Before exiting the vehicle you touch the black thing near the door handle and you will have no more static shock when you touch any metal part of the car. Good for cold dry climates like Japan. Well it's just a guess.

·
TN's Resident Car Whore!
'95 DSM Eclipse RS
5,978 Posts
Damn i've never seen anything liek that b4, my guess was that it was a sensor, but I don't think it is. I'm dying to see what this turns out to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts