Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from the fact that our 6gens use the high beam bulbs for the DRL, I found out that a lower wattage is sent to the highbeam bulbs to make them a daytime running lamp.. maybe 75% of the brightness..

I have wired some LED strips to run as DRL and need to know how I can use the full brightness/wattage. I've tried tapping it into my parking light and it's much brighter but I want these to turn on ONLY during the daytime, hence the DRLs. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
188 Posts
My 2000 Celica was recalled because the DRL were to bright...lol.

The fix was they installed a resister somewhere... don't know where. But I'm willing to bet that you can increase the brightness if you figure out which resister controls the DRL in the Camry and change it to a smaller resister... then tecnically you should increase the brightness of your DRL.

Maybe if you look up the tecnical details of the celica recall, it will give you a lot more info. GOOD LUCK.

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes indeed, you push the stalk in and you get super bright DRLs (Highbeams). :D
oh yes, I'll drive around with my left hand glued to the steering wheel just to press the stalk in. lol

My 2000 Celica was recalled because the DRL were to bright...lol.

The fix was they installed a resister somewhere... don't know where. But I'm willing to bet that you can increase the brightness if you figure out which resister controls the DRL in the Camry and change it to a smaller resister... then tecnically you should increase the brightness of your DRL.

Maybe if you look up the tecnical details of the celica recall, it will give you a lot more info. GOOD LUCK.
thanks for the tip but that sounds like too much work atm.. maybe when I REALLY have nothing to do I'll look into that.

·
ConeKiller Camry
2010 Camry LE
1,043 Posts
If you're willing to wire your fogs to your cig lighter inside the cubbyhole then I have a PWM that controls how bright the LED strips are. I put it together a while back to control how bright my custom LED tails for my ES were. You can use the knob to control the voltage from 10%-100% power. If you're interested PM me and I'll also wire up a manual switch to it so you can turn it off when you don't want it to be on.

It has 1 input for power and 4 separate outputs

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
oh yes, I'll drive around with my left hand glued to the steering wheel just to press the stalk in. lol
or turn your lows on and push the stalk forward ! Does the same thing lol

If you're willing to wire your fogs to your cig lighter inside the cubbyhole then I have a PWM that controls how bright the LED strips are. I put it together a while back to control how bright my custom LED tails for my ES were. You can use the knob to control the voltage from 10%-100% power. If you're interested PM me and I'll also wire up a manual switch to it so you can turn it off when you don't want it to be on.

It has 1 input for power and 4 separate outputs
why specifically the cig lighter, im sure you could find something under hte fuse box under the hood. And if you were to connect it to your cig lighter , it wont turn off unless he does it manually or turn the key off. He wants it on with his drls and off with his low beams

·
ConeKiller Camry
2010 Camry LE
1,043 Posts
why specifically the cig lighter, im sure you could find something under hte fuse box under the hood. And if you were to connect it to your cig lighter , it wont turn off unless he does it manually or turn the key off. He wants it on with his drls and off with his low beams
If he has an HID kit, keeping it on Auto will risk it turning on for minutes at a time and then shutting off. If it does it often enough, the life of the bulb will deteriorate quite rapidly due to the start up/shut down power required. I found it easier to put it on my cig lighter and place a switch so I can turn it on/off whenever I want. If I wanted it to be on with the DRLs, I make sure I wont be stuck in a bridge or overhang that will cause my HIDs to turn on.

It only took like 5 min to thread the wire through my firewall to the inside of my car so its not much effort required. I just prefer being able to control everything with a switch thats all

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
If he has an HID kit, keeping it on Auto will risk it turning on for minutes at a time and then shutting off. If it does it often enough, the life of the bulb will deteriorate quite rapidly due to the start up/shut down power required. I found it easier to put it on my cig lighter and place a switch so I can turn it on/off whenever I want. If I wanted it to be on with the DRLs, I make sure I wont be stuck in a bridge or overhang that will cause my HIDs to turn on.

It only took like 5 min to thread the wire through my firewall to the inside of my car so its not much effort required. I just prefer being able to control everything with a switch thats all
=\ I never mentioned anything about putting it into auto. He wanted it on specifically with his drl's and off with his low beams just like the drl's are suppose to act. So controlling it manually with a PWM defeats the purpose of it running off his drl's.

I still think adding a relay will get the results he wants.
Since a relay is almost like a switch that gets triggered by another voltage source aka his oem drl wire. So if connected correctly, it will use the +12v directly from the battery and turn on and off when it senses a voltage, which he would connect the the drl wire. So when the drls receive voltage, this will trigger the relay on giving his led's +12v. And when his low beams come on (causing his drl's to turn off) , this will turn the relay off causing the LED's to turn off.
One problem is that when he turns his highbeams on, the drl's would also turn on.

connecting that to the drl will send voltage to the relay which will throw it into an "on" position, which then allows it to be on and using the +12v directly from the battery.

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the ideas guys. I'm leaning more towards the relay because I do want it to turn off when my lowbeams get turned on and I want it all automated.

I'm thinking of dropping by Radio Shack to get me a 12v relay then.. hopefully they got some

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
yup that should do the trick.

As for the correct prongs you need to wire ...
you might have to do some research on that, it shouldnt take much.

I would assume that it would be a VERY similar set up to most HID relay harnesses.

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
relay didnt work. When I turn on the highbeam it works great but not as a drl. I think the drl resistor is lowering the current to the point where the relay isnt accepting it as an electrical current.. only reasonable explanation I could think of. any ideas? I might have to end up wiring it through the firewall and making a switch.. ugh..

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
relay didnt work. When I turn on the highbeam it works great but not as a drl. I think the drl resistor is lowering the current to the point where the relay isnt accepting it as an electrical current.. only reasonable explanation I could think of. any ideas? I might have to end up wiring it through the firewall and making a switch.. ugh..
how did you wire up the relay? You can wire a relay multiple ways.

·
=]
nasa space shuttle
3,690 Posts
try,

85 - ground
30 - constant 12v (connect to battery with fuse)
86 - Connect to the +ve of the drl wire
87 - to led strip
87a - N/A

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that's EXACTLY what I did lol

but I think the +ve for the DRL 86 is too weak for the relay to notice that it's even a current and doesnt turn on the LED strips at all.

when I turn on my highbeams, they turn on though, because I'm guessing the relay is getting enough current from the 86.

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
maybe..

85 - ground
30 - constant 12v (connect to battery with fuse)
86 - lowbeams
87 - N/A
87a - to led strip

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm gonna try this out today but I'm hoping that the 30 -> 87a doesnt cause it to stay on all the time, even when the car is off..

·
From H to T
'08 Camry
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks for the link.

I was right though, the 30 -> 87a made my LED strip stay on even when the car wasnt on. SO, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I decided to try and take the 30 and plug it somewhere that turned on with the car turning on, it obviously would have power too.

After fiddling around, I tapped into one of the fuses in the engine fusebox called "EFI No. 2" and voila, my project is finally completed!

So for future reference, if anyone is interested in getting high-powered LED strips as STRICTLY DRLs, here is the relay setup required:

85 - ground
30 - tap into 15A fuse EFI NO. 2
86 - lowbeams
87 - N/A
87a - to led strip

1 - 20 of 20 Posts